Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Freeman

purplejokr is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Want to let Ponder know his ass is on the line? Start Cassel when Ponder is deemed healthy.

THAT will send the same message, is incredibly cheaper, and doesn't saddle us with another potential problem for the future.
    I agree with you. However, Cassel's win was against a terrible Steeler team and his next game was a loss where he was shown to be as mediocre as most thought he was in the first place.

As far as cost goes... Cassel will make $3.7MM this year according to NFL.com while Freeman will earn $3MM according to Yahoo.com. So, that point is even worth considering because they will essentially earn the same amount of money.

Lastly, ultimately, Freeman signed a one year deal with the VIkings so that alleviates your final concern about Freeman being stuck in purple while he stinks up the joint like Cassel & Ponder.

I imagine that you are completely on board now, right?

For me, at the end of the day, it is obvious that Cassel and Ponder aren't good enough to lead this team back to the playoffs. Signing Freeman is a risk to be sure but it is a risk worth taking considering the deal that brought Freeman to Minnesota. One year for $3MM is fine by me and let's see what he can do when defenses stack the box to slow down Peterson. If he sucks, then he's gone at the conclusion of this season and the Vikings begin their search for a new QB in the draft. If he's great, awesome. I really fail to see the downside.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by purplejokr View Post
    [COLOR="#4B0082"]I agree with you. However, Cassel's win was against a terrible Steeler team and his next game was a loss where he was shown to be as mediocre as most thought he was in the first place.
    When we played the Steeler's their defense was ranked 5th in the league in total yards allowed & 3rd in the league in passing yards allowed.

Far from a terrible defense.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    The Steelers just beat the defending SB champions. We have a chance....

purplejokr is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    When we played the Steeler's their defense was ranked 5th in the league in total yards allowed & 3rd in the league in passing yards allowed.

Far from a terrible defense.
    And currently the Steelers are ranked #2 in total yards allowed defensively while the Panthers are ranked #1.

The Vikings beat the currently ranked #2 defense only to get slaughtered by the #1. Whoever said it was right when they said, "There are lies, damned lies, & statistics."

Ultimately, my point still stands. Cassel isn't the guy. Cassel wasn't the guy in Kansas City either. I like Cassel AND Ponder as backups but that's my limit.

Final note, The Steelers are terrible. They could improve but when the Vikings played them they were terrible and I don't care what the statistics say.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Pulling hard for Freeman tonight. If he's successful with as little time with the team as he's had, it's going to be mighty promising.

donraul is offline Waterboy
    Amongst all the debate about the long term, what the hell do they do now??
    Its not really fair on anyone playing Freeman in the next game. Its hardly a fair trial for him (and thats essentially what our season has become, one big QB X Factor competition - Im expecting Simon Cowell on the touchline next week), and we'd be lining the team up for more embarassment. But also they cant really go back to Ponder or Cassell after signing Freeman. My Goodness what a mess they have made!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Josh Freeman

Re: determining the next starter.

I say you bring all three of them out on a cart through the Viking tunnel before the next home game, right behind Ragnar. Then, play musical chairs just before kickoff to determine the starter. That way, all morons can blame the timing of the music and the lack of craftiness on the left out QBs.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Pulling hard for Freeman tonight. If he's successful with as little time with the team as he's had, it's going to be mighty promising.
    Apparently you were pulling too high & to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Re: determining the next starter.

I say you bring all three of them out on a cart through the Viking tunnel before the next home game, right behind Ragnar. Then, play musical chairs just before kickoff to determine the starter. That way, all morons can blame the timing of the music and the lack of craftiness on the left out QBs.
    They'll probably blame Musgrave for the music selection.

Josh Freeman QB grade worst ever by Pro Football Focus

Freeman's -11.3 overall grade is the lowest single-game grade for a quarterback since we started grading games
    Vikings: Josh Freeman QB grade worst ever by Pro Football Focus - TwinCities.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast