Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Johnson's contract could be distraction for Vikings

the only "slap on the face" zygi feels, Z, is having to pay rosey that much money =D lol

seriously, this is a dead issue.. they've been talking about it since february

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Brad's contract is what kept the Vikings from signing any half way decent back up this year.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    I'm going to slightly modify my stance, now that I see the article is written by Don Banks.
    People may or may not know that Banks covered the Vikings for both the STrib and the Pioneer Press for six years.
    So this isn't just some doofus who knows nothing about the Vikes reporting out-of-his-ass.
    This is a guy with some serious insider cred, so there may be more to his analysis than we are thinking.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    I'm going to slightly modify my stance, now that I see the article is written by Don Banks.
    People may or may not know that Banks covered the Vikings for both the STrib and the Pioneer Press for six years.
    So this isn't just some doofus who knows nothing about the Vikes reporting out-of-his-ass.
    This is a guy with some serious insider cred, so there may be more to his analysis than we are thinking.

=Z=
    The story was never dead, it was just stated numerous times from Zygi and BJ that they weren't talking to the media about it.
    This issue has been and will be alive as long as he is a starter and making peanuts.
    On July 28, 2006, Seifert reported that Johnson declined to comment, but his agent, Phil Williams, said, "He's going to be there." When veteran backups are elevated to a starting position, NFL teams often raise their salaries to match their role, especially if the player is a proven veteran. The team has been unwilling to adjust the contract, however, creating the potential for a dispute. Williams would not comment when asked whether Johnson is satisfied with the contract, which locks him into a backup's salary through 2008.

The issue has never been dead, and, yes, Banks is reporting what has already been speculated on numerous times for months.
    Nothing ground-breaking here.
    BJ is counting on Zygi & Co. to fairly compensate him.
    There is no doubt in my mind that this issue has been and is continuing to be discussed at Winter Park.
    The press just isn't allowed into the discussion.

I haven't previously put my two cents in on this issue, and whether this is a "dead issue" or not, the organization needs to do the right thing and give Brad a raise in pay and soon. It doesn't need to be a massive increase, but something in line with other starting QB's in the NFL. Sure, he signed his current contract as a second string QB, but he is now our starter and does all of the work of a starter. Give the guy a raise already.
    Even babies know the difference.

By the way, Prophet, don't you need to eat some crow?

"Prophet" wrote:
    The old KFFL news shows his total contract @ $6M with a $1.2M signing bonus.
    That's working for free as a starting NFL QB.
    My guess is that after they get all the rookies signed they will give him an increase in his allowance so he can go to the movies every once in a while.
    =Z=

Prophet Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:
    My guess is that after they get all the rookies signed they will give him an increase in his allowance so he can go to the movies every once in a while.
    =Z=
    No doubt.
    Don't exaggerate though.
    He can afford to go to the movies sometimes, he just can't buy any treats.
    Pay the man.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

This seems to be a media issue more than a Viking issue.
    Media must be left out of the loop again, so they want to stir the pot.

The Vikes will handle this and if they don't, that means they want to start TJ next year.

BJ is a professional and will play to his best anywhere he plays as long as he is on a roster and under contract.

"Prophet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:
    =Z=
    No doubt.
    Don't exaggerate though.
    He can afford to go to the movies sometimes, he just can't buy any treats.
    Pay the man.
    If he gets the combo, he will still have enough left over for a couple of the video games in the lobby before the show!

=Z=

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

honostly, how can it not be a distraction when two guys on the line get 100mil , the right side are a bunch of scrubs (playing just as bad/good as the left side mind you) and the QB is making about 5% of one lineman....and hes your leader? its like a project manager making 5/hour and his secretary getting paid 50/hour

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast