Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Johnson proves to be the anti-Daunte

Was Daunte the starter when Tice took over?

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

right on Del... basically what I paraphrased. it is a worry thought that once culp comes back, we will rely on his talent instead of the new scheme which is winning games.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    I have said before that DC is not a great QB but the big DC fans will find a reason why the Vikes are winning all of a sudden . It can't be good QB play, it has to be something else. God forbid a QB comes in and PLAYS BETTER THAN DC, THE WORLD MAY ACTUALLY COME TO AN END!!! Let's face it no matter how much logic you use you can't convince some people that we are winning because of better QB play. They just can't imagine that in their world, much like an addict will not admit he has a problem because then HE has to solve it. Again DC has a world of talent but as I said before so did Ryan Leaf. Talent doesn't make you a great QB. DC has more talent than Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas but he is nowhere near the QB that they were. Talent doesn't mean you can read Defenses or don't get flustered, talent doesn't make you a great QB.

DC should be on the sideline too bad he had to get injured for it to happen. And the D and special teams are playing better but we still would have lost those games with DC. He would have thrown a couple ints that the Giants would have capitalized on or fumbled because he holds onto the ball too long. He finds ways to lose, I like him as a person but he is not a super bowl calliber QB!!!!!
    I would agree...except that you should use "physical talent" or "pure athletic talent" when describing the "talent" that you are referring to in your post. I DO consider "reading defenses" or "not getting flustered" talents...granted these are mental talents that get honed by experience and study, but athletic talents are also the type that get honed by practice and physical activity.

I would agree that the mental part of the QB position is what separates the great QBs from all the rest...Montana, Unitas, Tarkenton all had it...and Brad Johnson has it as well. He might have not been the main reason that the Bucs won the Super Bowl, but he sure didn't squander the talent at his disposal while he was the QB there...and he is maximizing the use of the talent in his current position with the Vikes. Daunte would do well to pay close attention to how Brad does it...and I think that he will...because when he does, he will be lethal to the rest of the NFL!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

The anti-Culpepper? What does that mean, he isn't going to be up for MVP votes, or go to the pro-bowl like Dante did last year?

Del Rio, the media loves to rip McNabb to, and have for quite a while. That makes them right just like Rush?

Del Rio Guest

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about.

The only thing I can guess is my post about how a lot of people don't really like him anyway. Which was a response to someone insinuating that it's "cool" to hate on Culpepper now that Johnson is winning.

I myself am not to hot on Culpepper, never have been. I have a few friends that have hated him since draft. That was the point. It's not the hip thing to do all of a sudden. A lot of people never liked him at QB to begin with.

As far as Mcnabb the media and what ever else I have no clue. I don't care what the media says. They usually deal in absolutes in opinions with half truths to support it. Since they are wrong 90% of the time I ignore them.

DEEP PURPLE is offline Starter

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    Oh, of course. It HAS to be the quarterback. After all, the QB is the only person on the ENTIRE team who can win or lose a game. Give me a break. Our defense and special teams have been winning games for us. If Edwards hadn't returned that interception for a TD against the Pack, and if we hadn't had so many returns for TD's against the Giants, we would have lost 2 of those games. And the other one was against the Lions. Running the ball, defense, and scoring enough to win wins championships. The quarterback, although fairly important, won't win championships for you. Look at Brett Favre this year. His team is losing, yet you don't hear anyone in the media accusing him of being a bad quarterback. The fact that Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring further illustrates this point.
    But they sure can lose it for ya real quick as illustrated by:

R. Gannon 2003
    K. Collins 2001
    C. Chandler 1999
    N. O'Donnell 1996 just to name a few.

As for the Brett Favre thing. Ya I still hate the guy because he dons the wrong colors in the wrong town, but looking at him without my purple shades on, he is one of the 5-7 greatest QB's to lace'em up. It will take alot more for people to call for his head then it will for someone that isn't even close to his HOF credentials.

All I'm saying is Daunte may have had a couple of great years, but he is still under .500 as a starter, has a knee injury that may change him forever, and is a total head case right now when it comes to reading defences. I still love the guy but, we are on the hook for alot of money to a guy that hasn't earned it. IMO
    If I hear Michelle Bonner say "He works that one to right" one more time, I m getting on a plane for Bristol, going to the ESPNEWS set, and ripping out her vocal cords.

xvikingfan is offline Rookie

So far the most impressive thing about Johnson is getting 2 road wins.Anyone know what Culpepper's road record is since he's started???

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I love what Brad Johnson is doin for us right now. One thing that is over looked is the play of the defense. Coming into the year and up untill daunte went out our defense wasnt playing good.Like I knew it would, it took time for the D to come around and play as a unit. Daunte was put into horrible postion in most of the games this year. Yes daunte isnt the greatest QB when it comes to pressure and leading a game winning drive. But he is good. Brad came in when the defense was coming into thier stride and starting to gell. Taking alot of pressure of our weak offense at the time. I think that it has alot to do with Daunte's play this year.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

xvikingfan is offline Rookie

The offense is what's helping the defense right now.I watched a lot of the early games this year.The O would go 3 and out,3 and out,1 and a fumble,2 and an interception.They were on the field to long and always playing from behind.A lot of the drives now with BJ,even when they don't score,go 40,50 yards,eat the clock and sets up good field position.You go 3 and out from the get go,from your own 10 or 20 yard line and give the other team the ball at the 50,your already doomed.I've seen BJ use almost a half a quarter one one drive,more than once so far.The D looks much more fired up and much less exhausted now.

Big C is offline Coordinator

Tice deserves as much credit for this turnaround as much as Brad does. Brad brings calm to the offense (which is something Dante will learn to do hopefully next year) and has given produced game winning drives when we needed them.

However, I feel the turning point was really the Carolina game. Not because Dante went down, but because Tice finally realized what a f'ing dolt Cottrell is. I think Tice matured (or was forced to mature) after this game.

He got involved with the D and they have been playing good football. I mean, you're pro-bowl DT goes down so you put you your 6th round draft pick in there and he just comes away with 7 tackles, 2 sacks and forced fumble. The D is clicking. It didn't click till Tice got involved.

The offensive line has been an underschieving bunch that choked the run and lets us lead the NFL with number of sacks allowed. Tice says enough, smacks some heads, replaces some starters and now we have a running game and the QB has a little time to throw.

The WRs have been a dissapointment for most of the season. Brad played just like Culpepper till the O-line was fixed. I also think the whole Loney-Rhome-Tice playcalling thing has settled down. Getting the best 3 or 4 WRs (Taylor, K-rob and M-rob) on the field also helps. Burly is banged up and not himself and Troy needs a year or two to develop. Wiggins is and always will be the #1 WR.

So yeah, Tice needs to be mentioned here. No knocks on Brad, no knocks on Dante. If they're wearing purple, they are all good in my book.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast