Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Johnson proves to be the anti-Daunte

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    Oh, of course. It HAS to be the quarterback. After all, the QB is the only person on the ENTIRE team who can win or lose a game. Give me a break. Our defense and special teams have been winning games for us. If Edwards hadn't returned that interception for a TD against the Pack, and if we hadn't had so many returns for TD's against the Giants, we would have lost 2 of those games. And the other one was against the Lions. Running the ball, defense, and scoring enough to win wins championships. The quarterback, although fairly important, won't win championships for you. Look at Brett Favre this year. His team is losing, yet you don't hear anyone in the media accusing him of being a bad quarterback. The fact that Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring further illustrates this point.

But most people just LOVE to think that things are simple. It makes things easy for their small, narrow minds to understand if the reasons behind complicated problems can be explained in less than 5 seconds. The explanation may be false, but God forbid they should actually THINK to come up with a solution.
    No more like GOD FORBID anyone nay say Daunte Culpepper.

This turn around is all on Brad Johnson as far as I am concerned. The defense has more rest when our QB isn't handing the ball to the opposition every other play. Our line has more feel for a pocket when your QB has the mindset to stay in the damn thing.

One guy can change a team. Especially if it is the QB. If he can get a team believing in itself by giving them a chance to win then he has changed the entire team. Frankly Daunte wasn't getting the job done. He wasn't putting his team in position to excel and win. He was putting more strain on them then he was assisting them.

Brad Johnson deserves every ounce of respect from the media and the fans. Unfortunatley for him DC has too many fanbois who cannot see past his inexperience and faults. He should have been benched.

Blame the line, blame the WR's, blame the coaches.....but god forbid don't give credit to Brad Johnson.

If Daunte comes back next year and fails to manage the game, if he fails to be productive I would bench his ass again. Because this is about winning games. While it sounds right to say it's a team sport, all it takes is one guy to get a team playing like a team, and I think that is exactly what Brad has done.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Del Rio: I think it's the fact that we both live(d) in Utah at one time that makes us think exactly alike. You couldn't have said it better.
    Yes, there are some other areas our team needs to improve upon -- like offensive line blocking but Brad has made a lot of the difference in this team simply by his leadership.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

I will root for whoever is in at QB... Brad just manages the game better. i wrote before, since he has started, the offense had to change to fit brad's style of play. that style of play is best suited for this team, obviously. when culp was in, his style of play was not best suited for the team...he was still thinking he had a long ball big play receiver, we did not not.

Brad does not get flustered... at all. he is a steady force. and that's what i like about him. i am not as nervous if we are only leading by 3 in the forth with him in cause 95% of the time, he will not make a mistake.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I'm not taking ANYTHING from Pep. He has a 10million contract with the Vikings GOD knows I want this realtionship to work out. BJ is doing his job plain and simple. If BJ was so great why did the Buc's get rid of him. They had a struggling 'O' this I love Brad down with PEP is typical when winning. When you are winning It all seems so clear now.

I think it's not all Brad but a mental committment to excellence. The Vikings are playing more DISCIPLINED. On Offense and Defense. So I'm happy Brad has come in and cut down on the stupid turnovers. But the credit is spread all around.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Del Rio Guest

Again people have always been critical of Pepper this isn't some magic flip flop people seem to think it is.

A lot of people have never had faith in Culpepper ever.

Brad Johnson starts and we haven't lost under him. SO what is more crazy people thinking he is a major factor or people thinking that it is just a coincedence that we just MAGICALLY seem to be clicking all of a sudden?

Prophet Guest

I give credit to BJ on turning the team around, the team needs leadership and hasn't seen much of it this season. He is winning in spite of Tice and his bone-headed coaching.

BJ can get the job done in the short-term and is doing his role as backup well. Hopefully C-pep will come back strong next year, if not, QB shopping will be a necessity.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I have said before that DC is not a great QB but the big DC fans will find a reason why the Vikes are winning all of a sudden . It can't be good QB play, it has to be something else. God forbid a QB comes in and PLAYS BETTER THAN DC, THE WORLD MAY ACTUALLY COME TO AN END!!! Let's face it no matter how much logic you use you can't convince some people that we are winning because of better QB play. They just can't imagine that in their world, much like an addict will not admit he has a problem because then HE has to solve it. Again DC has a world of talent but as I said before so did Ryan Leaf. Talent doesn't make you a great QB. DC has more talent than Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas but he is nowhere near the QB that they were. Talent doesn't mean you can read Defenses or don't get flustered, talent doesn't make you a great QB.

DC should be on the sideline too bad he had to get injured for it to happen. And the D and special teams are playing better but we still would have lost those games with DC. He would have thrown a couple ints that the Giants would have capitalized on or fumbled because he holds onto the ball too long. He finds ways to lose, I like him as a person but he is not a super bowl calliber QB!!!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

the thing is...is this new Brad system works... i worry that when Culp comes back and i hope he does that this working system will be replaced by the non-working system we were using when culp was in becuase it showcases cupl's talents. i would much rather win than have a superstar QB. brad will lose a game, i am sure...but it won't be because he made 4 + mistakes (int's, fumbles, and bad loss sacks). i can remember about 5-6 times where culp destroyed us with his mistakes. remember him fumbling on the 1 yard line on MNF game against the Eagles...? remember how many INT's he had this season before getting injured? Brad is good for approxamately .7 turnovers a game. Culp is good for about 3.2 a game.

Brad is playing well. I hope when Culp comes back he can slow down the offense and make calculated risks like brad does.

Del Rio Guest

This is just opinion of course but I feel that the coaching staff was forced to play better football.

This team needed to get back to basics. I feel if the coaching staff would have done that in the pre season we wouldn't be in this prediciment. The ammount of change was too large to overcome. We needed to be torn down and rebuilt on fundamentals and attitude.

The coaching staff has been avoiding coaching. They want better players that will fit into their idea of what they want to do. Good coaches would know that it is simply impossible to force a group of young guys and new guys to a system to conform and produce.

Tice has it set in his mind what Culpepper can do, what he should be doing and the team could not function with that plan. Daunte could not function with that plan.

So he goes down, and in steps Brad. Tice was FORCED to run the ball more, FORCED to get those shorter crisper routes going. He was forced into playing and managing better football. I have doubt in my mind if they took the same game plan and put Daunte in there he would do exceedingly well.

Then the team would grow together instead of being all mish mashed into some crappy scheme. The question we should all be asking is not if he can perform in the scheme it should be will the coaches keep the scheme or try to create something new.

Sad to say him getting hurt may be the best thing that is happening for him because my guess is (if we have the same coaches) is next year when he comes back they will rely heavily on the run, and the quick pocket presence routes to ease him back into the offense.

We all were calling for more runs, more this more that and it took a serious injury to force the coaches into doing something we all knew they should have done in the offseason.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Johnson proves to be the anti-Daunte[/size]

Posted on Sun, Nov. 27, 2005
    St. Paul Pioneer Press

Q: For the past three seasons I have been e-mailing the same question. When will (Mike) Tice bench Culpepper? Answer: Not unless he gets hurt! On Sept. 22, 2005, I ask if it was not time for a change at QB. Culpepper's record at 36-39. In the Tice era, the Vikings are now 6-0 when someone other than Culpepper starts. Could I be on to something? Are 169 yards passing and a win better than Daunte's 395 yards and another loss? If Culpepper could start next week, he probably would. I just don't get it! Brad, thanks for making it fun again to be a Vikes fan!

D Hons, Mechanicsville, Va.

A: You have to give Brad Johnson credit. No offense to Culpepper, but I think there's no way the Vikings would be on a three-game winning streak right now if he were the quarterback.
    Wrong...Tice lost his very FIRST game in Baltimore with Spermyum Wynn starting at QB...I know this because I was at the game.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast