Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Johnson proves to be the anti-Daunte

[size=18px]Johnson proves to be the anti-Daunte[/size]

Posted on Sun, Nov. 27, 2005
    St. Paul Pioneer Press

Q: Oh my God! Two road wins in a row! Kudos for playing with heart, not giving up and seemingly developing the ability to make some in-game adjustments.... Just a hunch, but it seems to me that Brad (Johnson) sees more, surveys the D better and patiently comes up with timing and rhythmic nuances that keep the D off balance, in comparison with Daunte (Culpepper). And this after he fails early and often. He just keeps chipping away, not turning it over. I wonder how good he could be if he had better protection and a receiver besides (Jermaine) Wiggins who could make a play? That said, he only gets as many chances because our D has really stepped it up of late! Great to see that!

J.S., Sierra Madre, Calif.

A: The hope is that Culpepper has been watching and learning from what Brad Johnson has done these past three games. Just goes to show what experience can do for you at quarterback.

Q: For the past three seasons I have been e-mailing the same question. When will (Mike) Tice bench Culpepper? Answer: Not unless he gets hurt! On Sept. 22, 2005, I ask if it was not time for a change at QB. Culpepper's record at 36-39. In the Tice era, the Vikings are now 6-0 when someone other than Culpepper starts. Could I be on to something? Are 169 yards passing and a win better than Daunte's 395 yards and another loss? If Culpepper could start next week, he probably would. I just don't get it! Brad, thanks for making it fun again to be a Vikes fan!

D Hons, Mechanicsville, Va.

A: You have to give Brad Johnson credit. No offense to Culpepper, but I think there's no way the Vikings would be on a three-game winning streak right now if he were the quarterback.

Q: Hi, Don: During the Packers game, John Madden kept referring to the narrow line splits the Vikings offensive linemen take when setting up. He went on to say the Vikings would have trouble opening holes up the middle, and Viking backs would have to bounce outside to gain yardage. It did seem like we had trouble running the ball up the middle, and most of our gains were outside the tackles. Is this a real insight on Madden's part or just a bunch of hogwash?

SSS, Shrewsbury, Mass.

A: Talked to Steve Loney about this today, and he said there was some validity to what John Madden said, that the Vikings' offensive linemen might have been guilty of unconsciously shortening their splits to tighten things up. What Steve disagreed with was the contention that the narrow splits made running inside impossible because not all the Vikings' rushing yards were to the outside.

Q: Don, I said it before, and I'll say it again: Koren Robinson is back! This guy helps the Vikings win, plain and simple. The more he gets involved in the offense, the more success the team is having. Do you think he will re-sign in Minnesota next year? I'm sure other teams will be looking at him. I personally think we should do all we can to keep him. Also, it was obvious last night at Green Bay that running outside worked better than bouncing back in the middle. Why are the Vikes insistent on hitting the line? Go out! Take advantage of the speed we have. What's your take?

Gary Johnson, Ridgecrest, Calif.

A: I think Koren Robinson would like to be back with the Vikings next season, and they should be glad to have him. As he keeps demonstrating, the guy's a playmaker.

Q: Hi, Don. Maybe it's just me, but every time Ciatrick Fason came in last night, either around the goal line or on third downs in the middle of the field, it made me extremely nervous. It would seem to me that to go with someone who has been sitting on the sidelines in 30-degree weather and ask them to perform an important task could be disastrous. Why not stay with Mewelde (Moore) or (Michael) Bennett? At least they are in the flow of the game. What am I missing? Thanks.

Sweet T, Charlotte, N.C.

A: You aren't missing anything that I can see. Ciatrick Fason is a good, young back, but he isn't Moe Williams. There's no reason the Vikings couldn't use Mewelde Moore, in particular, in some of those situations.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Johnson proves to be the anti-Daunte

Nice Q&A site Singer,

I take it one can find it at the St Paul Pioneer Press site...

I'll have to look into it when I have time, right now I have to go get ready to get my new boat, go cut down our Christmas Tree, and get back in time to watch the Vikes VS Browns game..

Should be a nice Sunday day off.......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Post some pics of your new boat when you get a chance Ned.

I'm headed off for the game myself shortly.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Oh, of course. It HAS to be the quarterback. After all, the QB is the only person on the ENTIRE team who can win or lose a game. Give me a break. Our defense and special teams have been winning games for us. If Edwards hadn't returned that interception for a TD against the Pack, and if we hadn't had so many returns for TD's against the Giants, we would have lost 2 of those games. And the other one was against the Lions. Running the ball, defense, and scoring enough to win wins championships. The quarterback, although fairly important, won't win championships for you. Look at Brett Favre this year. His team is losing, yet you don't hear anyone in the media accusing him of being a bad quarterback. The fact that Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring further illustrates this point.

But most people just LOVE to think that things are simple. It makes things easy for their small, narrow minds to understand if the reasons behind complicated problems can be explained in less than 5 seconds. The explanation may be false, but God forbid they should actually THINK to come up with a solution.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Brad has been a QB for like a hundered years of course he will do the mental things better than Daunte, come on DC has only been at this for 5 years. How many of you have completely master your job in five years, better yet how many of you are better at your job than the old guys you work with?
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Hey pioneer press,thanks for probably making Daunte even more depressed!

good read though singersp ,I always like how you put those articles on here, I live in southern Minnesota and don't get to read the cities paper!

The paper down here has always like three sentences about the Vikes and thats about it.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

good stuff there. i can agree to most of those answers.
    We're bringing purple back.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

yes i just think brad has those veteran tricks and that is the reason he is doing so good right now.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    Oh, of course. It HAS to be the quarterback. After all, the QB is the only person on the ENTIRE team who can win or lose a game. Give me a break. Our defense and special teams have been winning games for us. If Edwards hadn't returned that interception for a TD against the Pack, and if we hadn't had so many returns for TD's against the Giants, we would have lost 2 of those games. And the other one was against the Lions. Running the ball, defense, and scoring enough to win wins championships. The quarterback, although fairly important, won't win championships for you. Look at Brett Favre this year. His team is losing, yet you don't hear anyone in the media accusing him of being a bad quarterback. The fact that Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring further illustrates this point.

But most people just LOVE to think that things are simple. It makes things easy for their small, narrow minds to understand if the reasons behind complicated problems can be explained in less than 5 seconds. The explanation may be false, but God forbid they should actually THINK to come up with a solution.
    It's not that Brad's winning games for us

It's that he's not LOSING them for us.

That's the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i'd have to admit that Pep was definately not helping us win any games when he was in there. he was putting us in a situation to lose most of the time. yah Johnson hasn't put up any 300+ yards pashing games, but he's 4-0 in the most important stat win/loses.

Thanks Josdin

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast