Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Johnson isn't the only reason Vikings are 5-7

Whenever you try to fix something, you fix the obvious first.
    Johnson is the obvious.

I could deal with his limited ability because he "contolled the game" and "didn't make mistakes".
    But now he doesn't do either.
    Easy fix replace him.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

You're right.

We shouldn't be 5-7, we should be 3-9.

We can thank the stupidity of John Fox and his reverse punt play, and Sean Taylors temper for allowing us those 2 wins early on.

I do believe though, that if we would have beat the bears in that first game (that IMO we had won) we would be having a whole different season.

It almost feels like we lost confidence after that game.

Heres to next season though.

Next season????????Playoffs dude!!!!!! & you can credit that win v washington to me. I know I got in Brunell's head. One play after we almost sacked him, but knocked him to the ground the whole crowd got quiet. Then you heard 6 rows back "HOWS THAT DIRT TASTE #8?" In fact, if you guys came up with a fund to send me to every away game we will be undefeated on the road. I have a loud voice, and I'm not afraid to take an asswhooping for my team. Can't wait till the vikes come to philly.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:
    Next season????????Playoffs dude!!!!!! & you can credit that win v washington to me. I know I got in Brunell's head. One play after we almost sacked him, but knocked him to the ground the whole crowd got quiet. Then you heard 6 rows back "HOWS THAT DIRT TASTE #8??????"
    Hahah.

I like your optimism.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"baumy300" wrote:
    You're right.

We shouldn't be 5-7, we should be 3-9.

We can thank the stupidity of John Fox and his reverse punt play, and Sean Taylors temper for allowing us those 2 wins early on.

I do believe though, that if we would have beat the bears in that first game (that IMO we had won) we would be having a whole different season.

It almost feels like we lost confidence after that game.

Heres to next season though.
    I think the game that killed us was the Pats game.
    They showed the NFL how to beat the Vikings and everyone has simply copied their game plan to some extent.
    Special teams are killing us.
    INT's run back for touch downs are killing us.
    Its clear that our offense doesn't know what to do if the ball gets turned over.
    I am glad to see that some people are finally coming to the realization that it is not all BJ's fault.
    IMO a rookie coming into this offense would not stand a chance.
    When the ball is snapped 11 guys all have to do their job for the play to work.
    Putting in a new guy doesn't make that happen.
    It only works on teams in which the rest of the squad is getting it done.
    That is only happening for the Vikes on about 60% of the plays right now.
    The Vikes are playing an entirely new offense from the year before and they simply don't have it down yet especially in the passing game.
    The WCO is a timing type of offense and right now our timing sucks.

I have watched some of the INT's and BJ is throwing to a spot.
    The problem is the receivers some times are not making their cuts on time and getting to the spot where the ball will be.
    This forces BJ to hold the ball longer and watch the receiver before he lets it go.
    That is not going to fool any good DB if he is having to stare down the receivers to see when they make their cuts.
    We send in a new QB and they make a few completions right off the bat because their ball speed and style is a little different.
    It takes a few plays for the defense to make the adjustment.
    Put them in for a longer period of time and I guarantee they will have the same problems that BJ has.

WWBGD

Purple D is offline Starter

I think a factor that has contributed a bunch recently is our pass rush. With everyone realizing they can't run on us, they pass a bunch and it has exposed a weak pass rush. Now I don't think that BJ is entirely to blame, but simply, he f'ed up a lot this year and I would credit losing at least2games this year to him. On the other hand, the previous lions game I think we won primarily because of BJ. He was firing people up and took charge that game.
    I dont think Johnson was the reason we won the first Lions game,
    The Defense was the reason we won the first Lions Game.
    We were down the whole game because our Offense couldn't produce points,
    it took big plays by our defense to win that game.

Sure Johnson could use a little more time to look for open people.
    But teams this year have been daring us to throw long.
    They campout on all of the short routes and they try to stop the run and they bring more people at Johnson because he cant throw the long ball with enough power to burn anyone.
    This is just my opinion of course.
    I just feel a more mobile quarterback with a much stronger arm might help this team get out of it's funk that it is in.

Nobody will ever doubt Brad Heart,
    he plays with alot of heart ,
    I just doubt his physical ability anymore.
    Mentally he is still one of the best in the game,
    just cant get his body to do what his mind wants it to do.
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

Why we suck: I will rate the guilty parties in my opinion.

1. Brad Johnson
    2. Brad Childress
    3. The o-line
    4. Wide Receivers
    5. Chester Taylor and his fumbles

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Purple" wrote:
    I think a factor that has contributed a bunch recently is our pass rush. With everyone realizing they can't run on us, they pass a bunch and it has exposed a weak pass rush. Now I don't think that BJ is entirely to blame, but simply, he f'ed up a lot this year and I would credit losing at least2games this year to him. On the other hand, the previous lions game I think we won primarily because of BJ. He was firing people up and took charge that game.

They campout on all of the short routes and they try to stop the run and they bring more people at Johnson because he cant throw the long ball with enough power to burn anyone.
    I just feel a more mobile quarterback with a much stronger arm might help this team get out of it's funk that it is in.

Despite that, he's still doing very well. All the Chester haters should have had their fill of crow by now. And as far as some who are worried about his fumbles, with most teams loading the box, pounding on him, him playing hurt, and the bad calls called against him, he's done VERY well. don't blame him for his fumbles. He has done nothing but HELP us win. Give him a f'ing break.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Purple" wrote:

Truer words may have never been spoken!

Not that there aren't many other reasons why the Vikings aren't winning right now.

But we are closer than many think...losses to Buffalo, SF, GB and Miami that could have just as easily been wins...would have put us at only three losses...right up there with the elite teams...and beating Chicago in Week 3 (which should have happened) would put us as tied for the best record in the NFL.
    The fact of the matter is that if we can get some incremental improvement in our offensive performance, just one less mistake or two per game, we should be right where we need to be next season...unless they can figure it out in time to win the next four games and give us an outside shot to make the playoffs THIS YEAR!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

davike is offline Team Alumni

"BrooksBollingerForQB" wrote:
    Why we suck: I will rate the guilty parties in my opinion.

1. Brad Johnson
    2. Brad Childress
    3. The o-line
    4. Wide Receivers
    5. Chester Taylor and his fumbles
    BJ is deffinetly not all to blame. he has made mistakes, but he didn't have many other players helping him out. he is getting older and that is affecting his play as well, but i believe that BJ is on of the most competitive QBs in the game at heart, he just doesn't have the body to be the QB could be. at least 2 of BJs picks last week should not have happened if the target had done his job. one of them, BJ bounced it off jeff dugans chest and they picked it off, the other, C taylor could have caught it, he wasn't ready or he just didn't try. i can go back to alot of BJ picks that weren't really his fault.

BC. not even close, he is a rookie head coach that has made some mistakes, but he isn't the one to blame for our losses. his play calling isn't as conservative and bad as most think, just go look at the playcalls of the past games. he put in deep routes alot as well, but what good is throwing deep in your WR can't bring them in? he is playcalling for whats the best way to pick up yards with the players he has, if the WR can't bring in the deep ball but can bring in the little 5 yard passes, tell me what you would call? he has actually brought some discipline to the vikings as well, which is something i really like.

the O-line. they have played well at run blocking, they just can't seem to figure out pass blocking, maybe if BJ had a little more time he would actually be able to find someone down field. but i do agree with you that they haven't played up to their talent.

WR. i don't think anyone can argue that they are one of the key problems. they are so inconsistent that even if BJ did find someone open, he would probably hesitate before throwing because he is afraid of what they will do. when teams QB loses trust in his WR that is not a good situation, and i believe BJ did lose faith in our WR's.

chestor taylor has fumbled 4 times. which isn't that bad, that bad thing is that 2 went for touchdowns. but i find it very hard to say anything bad against chestor taylor, since he has been almost the only bright spot in our offense. he had fumbled 4 times on 265(#2 in the league) carries, that says that he fumbles every 66 carries, not bad considering you have big guys that are trying to strip the ball from you on almost every carry. taylor has been the most consistent guy on our offense, im not going to say anything bad.

so i agree with you on somethings, but it is a group effort. the downfall of our offense isn't about putting up yards, its about putting up points. we have the 14th overall offense. that isn't bad, you would think with that, combined with our #5 defense would be a winning combo. but its more in the penalties and the poor redzone execution then anything. what good is it if you can drive the ball 85 yards if you only get a field goal? you can win that way against bad teams, but not against good teams. i think that costly penalties have been our downfall more then anything.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast