Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Football

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Tarkenton was 6 ft 0 in, 190.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Favre was 6-2 and 220 pounds. Manziel needs a booster seat to see out the windshield.
    Tell that to Drew Brees.

And NO, I'm not saying Manziel is like Brees, only comparing heights.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    Tarkenton was 6 ft 0 in, 190.
    Average height of OL then wasn't the same as now. Besides, Tark was a singular talent. And, um, he never won a Super Bowl. You guys gotta give up the Johnny Football hype. Not a strong arm, not a great decision maker, and too small. Plus he's an immature jerk- not what you want from a franchise perspective. I'm telling you- if we get Johnny boy it won't be diapers you're in before we win a SB, it will be a pine box long buried.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Favre was 6-2 and 220 pounds. Manziel needs a booster seat to see out the windshield.
    Johnny is 6'1 and 216.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Johnny is 6'1 and 216.
    Must wait for Scouting Combine to get the official height, but ive seen 5'10 and 5'11 listed as well.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Johnny Football

I'm going with 5'11-3/4".

Sporting news says Brees/Wilson have a high delivery and quick release which puts them on par with 6'4 qb's. Manziel has a lower release making his height a bigger issue. They don't like his footwork in the pocket either. What they do like is his ability to make plays. He also has NFL caliber OL and WR's helping him out.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    You can tell by looking at the boy he isn't over 6 feet. College athletic departments been stretching boys for years. Kids a munchkin. His throw it up to superior receivers and let them go get it works in college but he won't have Megatron in the pros. If he's 6-1 I'll chug a beer. And I mean without those elevator heel things he probably uses to be taller around chicks.

Josh Freeman is 6'6"

I'm not saying that Manziel is the answer, but I'm at the "what the phuck" stage and ready to try anything. Again............... let's not try to out smart the rest of the NFL and believe we can pluck a diamond from a cow pasture. Stick with obvious pick for God's sake.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Average height of OL then wasn't the same as now. Besides, Tark was a singular talent. And, um, he never won a Super Bowl. You guys gotta give up the Johnny Football hype. Not a strong arm, not a great decision maker, and too small. Plus he's an immature jerk- not what you want from a franchise perspective. I'm telling you- if we get Johnny boy it won't be diapers you're in before we win a SB, it will be a pine box long buried.
    At this point I'd be happy rooting for a team that's not an embarrasment.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    Josh Freeman is 6'6"

I'm not saying that Manziel is the answer, but I'm at the "what the phuck" stage and ready to try anything. Again............... let's not try to out smart the rest of the NFL and believe we can pluck a diamond from a cow pasture. Stick with obvious pick for God's sake.
    So far the "throw the shit against the wall and see what sticks" approach isn't doing so well for us. I would like us to pick the QB that is going to succeed in the NFL and not just might succeed if all the cards line up just right. If that characterizes Manziel, then he should go around the 3rd round like Wilson. If somebody wants to reach for Manziel and take him early in the first round, then go for it, I would pass. Bridgewater at this point looks like the only guy worthy of a top 5 pick. The other guys are intriguing and may come in and have instant success (as most dual threat QB's do), however, long term success is what we need and that generally comes from a QB that can operate from the pocket.

I still would like to see more of Bryce Petty from Baylor, he also looks to fit the mold. Their remaining schedule looks like this: Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas. If he comes through this patch with good numbers, look for him to pass a lot of QB's on the draft board.

Here's a good scouting breakdown of Petty:
    Baylor?s Bryce Petty: System Quarterback or Top Flight Prospect?

Conclusion
    The reasons for Petty’s emergence in this offense are also why I view him as a potential first rounder–his velocity control, ball placement and release quickness all deserve “plus” marks on a scouting report. As often stated by ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, there are a ton of quarterbacks that have tremendous arm strength and ability to gun the football. The difference between arm strength and true “arm talent” is the ability to control the flight of the ball, adjust trajectory and velocity as required, and most of all throw with consistent accuracy across the field. While he’s a big guy and has a big arm, Petty has proven early this season to be in possession of true arm talent and he’s a prospect to keep an eye on as the season progresses.
    Last edited by tastywaves; 11-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast