Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    We have to take Ponder's first season with a grain of salt. He had no offseason to prepare, and wasn't preparing as the starter (getting the reps) until what...week six or so? It puts a guy at somewhat of a disadvantage, and to be fair to him, not every quarterback is going to come out of the gates like Newton did. What Cam did was exceptional, and the same could be said about RGIII, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Luck. Now, Luck and RGIII are ridiculous rookies. Rookies we haven't seen since, what, 1984?
    Like Cam, it will be interesting to see how well the 1rst year cats do in their second year. Again, just because Cam had a crappy season doesn't mean I am now calling him a bust. I'm just saying that sometimes it takes D-coords time to figure out how to defend these guys.

Besides, Luck really didn't have that great of a year this year. His stats are pretty "Sanchez" like in his first year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Like Cam, it will be interesting to see how well the 1rst year cats do in their second year. Again, just because Cam had a crappy season doesn't mean I am now calling him a bust. I'm just saying that sometimes it takes D-coords time to figure out how to defend these guys.

Besides, Luck really didn't have that great of a year this year. His stats are pretty "Sanchez" like in his first year.
    Dalton also had a significant drop off in play in his second season. I think we'll have a better understanding of them following next season, to be honest.

Dalton also had a significant drop off in play in his second season. I think we'll have a better understanding of them following next season, to be honest.
    Agree.

I'm going to be very interested in how well Wilson plays this weekend. More importantly, I'm going to be interested in how they use Lynch, the WR corps and the defense to help him this weekend.

Lets not forget, the kid is on a playoff team from last year that featured TJ with a torn pec.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach
    That Seattle team is pretty damn solid. Their line can apply pressure, and when healthy, they have pretty great depth. Their linebackers, with the arrival of Bobby Wags, is very solid, and the secondary is amazing. Two rangy, long bump and run corners, a free safety with the best range in the NFL, and a strong safety who is as large (or larger) than their linebacker Hill, but has sideline to sideline ability.

They have a great, great running back, versatile quarterback, and decent receivers. Even their tight end was clutch against the 'skins.

If they have another good draft, adding some depth to the DT, WR, and OL, they'll be set up for years and years of success, as they're all young players. Their defense has two first round starters, everybody else was taken later in the draft. Whoever handles the drafting on that team has done an outstanding job, as the system players they've brought in have been brilliant additions, and they're getting veteran play out of kids. Earl Thomas is only in his third season and he's one of the savvy vets...it's ridiculous.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Johnny Football is not eligible until at least 2014.

Unfortunately at that time Ponder will still be young & still learning & still have not had enough starts yet.
    If we are talking 2014 draft then I want Clowney. He is a beast and will be a disruptive force that we need, he will live in opposing team's backfields.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Make or break.....26 starts....Been listening to yutz fans, yutz reporters and yutz ESPN talking heads again.

I wonder what the Giants would be sitting like if they gave up on Eli after 26 or 42 starts......

Reality is, Ponder will still be making mistakes late into his career. Even the great Noodle still threw off his back foot, missed wide open recievers and threw INT's by trying to force the ball. Again, its reality.
    One of the few times I agree 100% with you, even if you did throw a Favre dig in there. Seriously guys, what the hell? Giving up on our QB after 2 years in the league? We got to the playoffs with him as a starter this year, and that is with missing his #1 WR for much of the season. We have absolutely no deep threat or big, good WRs. Give him some targets and a little more time as he's shown more potential than Jackson ever did.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Agree.

I'm going to be very interested in how well Wilson plays this weekend. More importantly, I'm going to be interested in how they use Lynch, the WR corps and the defense to help him this weekend.

Lets not forget, the kid is on a playoff team from last year that featured TJ with a torn pec.
    They weren't a playoffs team last year
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    They weren't a playoffs team last year
    I was wondering who would catch that gaf. Thought it would be Singer.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Drew Brees does not have a great arm. It's his touch and accuracy that makes him a great quarterback.

Peyton doesn't have a great arm either, and it's not always needed. Look at Rivers. He doesn't have Cutler type arm strength, but for a few years his deep ball was beautiful. Easily the best in the league.
    Brees may not have the gun slinging arm which would qualify him as having a "great" or "strong" arm, but if I'm a saints fan I don't have to worry on an out route of the far sideline of the ball either a. not getting there or b. getting pick sixed.

Maybe it is just going to take a couple of years for me to be able to stop holding my breath on these types of passes Ponder throws.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    We have to take Ponder's first season with a grain of salt. He had no offseason to prepare, and wasn't preparing as the starter (getting the reps) until what...week six or so? It puts a guy at somewhat of a disadvantage, and to be fair to him, not every quarterback is going to come out of the gates like Newton did. What Cam did was exceptional, and the same could be said about RGIII, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Luck. Now, Luck and RGIII are ridiculous rookies. Rookies we haven't seen since, what, 1984?
    People toss that out way to easily. He had what we had of a TC, same as everyone else, plus an additional 9 weeks to prepare. 4 preseason games +5 regular season games before starting, which is 5 weeks longer than any who was drafted that started game 1 had.

McNabb was the one who was cheated out of a full offseason to work with his primary receivers, not Ponder. Ponder was the back up QB. The drafted QB's that started day 1 for their team are the ones that got hurt the most from a short offseason & yet some of those did better than Ponder. Had there been a full offseason, he still would have primarily been with the second team.

If you count the minicamps that were lost plus the few days shorter that TC was, how many days were actually lost? A whole lot is not really accomplished in those early camps anyways.

Let's also not forget Ponder was the only Viking who was drafted & perhaps the only player drafted to receive the playbook on draft day, so he had ample time to read & learn it.
    Last edited by singersp; 01-11-2013 at 06:44 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast