Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Johnny Football.

I don't see the arm strength in ponder
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I was being sarcastic.

This year was supposed to be make or break for Ponder (26 starts). Now it will be next year will be make or break for Ponder (42 starts)
    I believe you were the one who made up the whole "Jackson needs 2 consecutive years starting before we can really evaluate him" theory. Yet you are so quick to proclaim Ponder as a failure in only 1 plus years of starts. The difference between the two is that Ponder has at least stayed healthy enough to get more consecutive starts at an earlier time in his career.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Wasn't it in his third year that Brees suddenly became a good QB. Unfortunately, the Chargers had already given up on him and used their 1st pick on a QB. then he blossomed. Not saying it WILL happen for CP. Just saying it could.

If it doesn't we're screwed.

The difference is Drew Brees actually has an arm, ponder, not so much.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    The difference is Drew Brees actually has an arm, ponder, not so much.
    Drew Brees does not have a great arm. It's his touch and accuracy that makes him a great quarterback.

Peyton doesn't have a great arm either, and it's not always needed. Look at Rivers. He doesn't have Cutler type arm strength, but for a few years his deep ball was beautiful. Easily the best in the league.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Maybe Brees doesn't have the prototypical gunslinger arm, but it's still stronger than Ponders, plus he has the vision to find the open guy and deliver the ball on time. Hopefully Ponder will develop some better vision by next year, but I seriously hope we don't waste the entire season if he still hasn't show any improvement by mid season.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    It wasn't supposed to be make or break this year for CP in the teams mind. They have said repeatedly they are working in a three year plan for him. It was only considered a make or break in the minds of some on here.
    And that's who I was referring to.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I believe you were the one who made up the whole "Jackson needs 2 consecutive years starting before we can really evaluate him" theory. Yet you are so quick to proclaim Ponder as a failure in only 1 plus years of starts. The difference between the two is that Ponder has at least stayed healthy enough to get more consecutive starts at an earlier time in his career.
    I didn't make it up. I believe in that. I'm looking for around 25 consecutive games barring no injury. I maintained all year he should finish the year starting as well. Ponder has now played in 27 consecutive games.

Last year & at the beginning of this year, others here claimed this year was make or break for Ponder. Now some of those are claiming next year will be.

Personally, I don't think he's going to get a lot better, but he showed maybe enough at the end of the year to put him in that gray area. The FO will keep him & start him no doubt, but my guess is they bring in a veteran backup of mediocre talent. There will be no real competition for the starting job. It will be Ponder's. There's no one in the talent pool of QB's in this years draft that a lot of people are talking about, so I don't expect a move there either. A latter rounder maybe, but I don't think so with MBT on the roster.
    Last edited by singersp; 01-10-2013 at 05:37 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Johnny Football.

I believe they are going to sink or swim with Ponder and that they will not have any sort of alternative to push him once camp opens up. I actually would not be surprised if they kept Webb as the backup.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I was being sarcastic.

This year was supposed to be make or break for Ponder (26 starts). Now it will be next year will be make or break for Ponder (42 starts)
    Make or break.....26 starts....Been listening to yutz fans, yutz reporters and yutz ESPN talking heads again.

I wonder what the Giants would be sitting like if they gave up on Eli after 26 or 42 starts......

Reality is, Ponder will still be making mistakes late into his career. Even the great Noodle still threw off his back foot, missed wide open recievers and threw INT's by trying to force the ball. Again, its reality.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach
    We have to take Ponder's first season with a grain of salt. He had no offseason to prepare, and wasn't preparing as the starter (getting the reps) until what...week six or so? It puts a guy at somewhat of a disadvantage, and to be fair to him, not every quarterback is going to come out of the gates like Newton did. What Cam did was exceptional, and the same could be said about RGIII, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Luck. Now, Luck and RGIII are ridiculous rookies. Rookies we haven't seen since, what, 1984?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast