Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:John Sullivan Strikes It Rich?

Marrdro wrote:
    Almost a wash. Course I also think that Herrera and Hutch's play declined a bit this year because they were helping Sully a bit.

I assume the coaching staff expected that a bit and believe that will be fixed this year now that he has a year of real game action under his belt.
    It's the only way to learn any position - real life game experience and the only way. of course you can supplement in the week and off-season but that is all. That's why I didn't mind cutting him some slack this season as he was in at the deep end.
    I think he'll do a lot better this year which hopefully allow Herrera and Hutch to tend to their own matters a little more.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

AngloVike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Almost a wash. Course I also think that Herrera and Hutch's play declined a bit this year because they were helping Sully a bit.

I assume the coaching staff expected that a bit and believe that will be fixed this year now that he has a year of real game action under his belt.
    It's the only way to learn any position - real life game experience and the only way. of course you can supplement in the week and off-season but that is all. That's why I didn't mind cutting him some slack this season as he was in at the deep end.
    I think he'll do a lot better this year which hopefully allow Herrera and Hutch to tend to their own matters a little more.
    I hear ya, and am almost onboard with how this staff approaches "Getting them Game Ready" but at some point, one would think that we would get to a stage were they (the new guys) have learned for 3 or 4 years before being run out and fed to the wolves.

Case in point, the discussion going on in the Albert Young thread.

That cat is being brought up the way I expect (PS for a year, active roster - low production year, backup).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

HEY wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I know most don't agree with me, however, I feel that Sully played just as good, if not better, than Matt did his last year with us.
    Your not alone, Marrdro. I also believe he did a good job in his first year as a starter. He's apparently very smart on the field, and I think (hope) he can play for many many more seasons.
    I'm not sure what you guys were watching... I think Marrdro is just happy we weren't getting consistently pressured up the middle by stunts and delayed blitzes the way we were with Birk up there... but the fact is, Sully got manhandled... At one point someone showed a bunch of still shots which essentially showed Sully getting pushed 3 - 4 yards deep into the backfield and getting our run plays completely blown up... I also think Sully is partly to blame for some of Herrera's issues.

Sully may be making better line calls (or Favre might be helping just a little), but Birk held his ground far better. Sully needs to bulk up or I don't see a long career for him.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

BleedinPandG wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I know most don't agree with me, however, I feel that Sully played just as good, if not better, than Matt did his last year with us.
    Your not alone, Marrdro. I also believe he did a good job in his first year as a starter. He's apparently very smart on the field, and I think (hope) he can play for many many more seasons.
    I'm not sure what you guys were watching... I think Marrdro is just happy we weren't getting consistently pressured up the middle by stunts and delayed blitzes the way we were with Birk up there... but the fact is, Sully got manhandled... At one point someone showed a bunch of still shots which essentially showed Sully getting pushed 3 - 4 yards deep into the backfield and getting our run plays completely blown up... I also think Sully is partly to blame for some of Herrera's issues.

Sully may be making better line calls (or Favre might be helping just a little), but Birk held his ground far better. Sully needs to bulk up or I don't see a long career for him.
    Of course that is what I'm happy about. Aren't you? Play up the middle increased drastically when it came to pass rush up the middle.

As to being "manhandled"......Thats what I meant when I said I wished he had a bit more ass.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Marrdro wrote:
    BleedinPandG wrote:

Of course that is what I'm happy about. Aren't you? Play up the middle increased drastically when it came to pass rush up the middle.

As to being "manhandled"......Thats what I meant when I said I wished he had a bit more ass.
    Happy? No... we essentially traded being able to run outside for a better pocket and pass protection... as a run first team, I'm not sure that's a good trade. I want a team that dominates the line on first and second downs making for easy 3rd downs... not a team that can create a pocket that allows 3rd and 8's to be picked up at a 60% clip.

Our line as a whole underachieved in run blocking much of the year and I believe much of the blame lies with Sully being under sized which allowed massive penetration into the backfiend blowing everything up. A little bit of extra pass protection doesn't make up for that defeciency.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:

In the end, I still believe he is a keeper. Can't wait to see him this year.
    Sullivan admitted that he has helped along greatly by having a HOF QB aiding in his development during his rookie year. You can thank your buddy, Favre, for helping him jump ahead in the learning curve.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Golden_Viking is offline Waterboy

I don't think it has anything to do with the Vikings salary cap. I'm pretty sure it's just a bonus given out from the collective NFL profits for the year. The same thing for happens playoff teams. Each player on each team gets x amount of money depending on whether they win, lose, and the round they are playing in.
    None

Formo is offline Team Alumni

I'm somewhat concerned about Sully. I'm not sure if I'm in the Marty camp or the BleedingPanda camp.. Either way, this time next year we should have a pretty good handle on how Sully will pan out for the Vikes.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12