Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

John Clayton's Most Improved

"John Clayton" wrote:
    7.Minnesota Vikings: This was the offseason the Vikings needed to continue to close the gap with the Packers in the NFC North. Drafting Kenechi Udeze, a big pass-rushing defensive end, was a bonus. Now, instead of using undersized Nick Rogers on early downs, Udeze can join Kevin Williams, Chris Hovan and Kenny Mixon on one of the league's best young lines. Steve Martin was another tough tackle added to the defensive line rotation. Wide receiver Marcus Robinson is a big threat on the other side of Randy Moss. Antoine Winfield added a proven cornerback. Punter Darren Bennett will help with field position now that he's kicking indoors.
    The Vikings made the list of John Clayton's 10 most improved teams. The Lions were #1, and the Bears were #8. Looks like the competition is heating up in the NFC North.

The full article is here.

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

clayton is a professional pontificator. read my signoff
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

John Clayton is never wrong . I would have to agree with him.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ksvikesfan is offline Rookie

"bigdogbovy" wrote:
    clayton is a professional pontificator. read my signoff
    But I think he is pointing out the obvious here. Green Bay is not going to be able to waltz away with the division like they've done the last couple of years.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I wouldn't exactly say that the fudge packers waltzed away with the division last year, they won the division on not only the last play of the Vikings year, but also on Denver laying down for them with their third stringers. The Packers will not win the North this year!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I totally agree. I think this year is going to be a dogfight in the Norse division.

Vikings: have brought in the most talent and had two decent drafts. Have a lot of talent, but may be a year away before all the pieces gel.

Packers; Yeah, getting older, but pieces were in place for 10 wins last year, and no major losses from either side other than (maybe) McKenzie

Lions: Most young talent in division, in my opinion, but a couple years away from truly contending. Will be a force this year, though

Bears: Interesting...always seem to have a lot of pieces to the puzzle but always underachieve. If they get it together like they did a couple of years ago, could easily get into the fray.

I think all four teams have the "potential" for 10 wins.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

I don't see the lions being that improved this season. Yes, they have added a lot more talent, compared to last year, but they are still way too young at the most important positions. Harrington digressed a bunch last year, and they will be pretty much starting 3 rookies(roy williams, kevin jones, and charles rogers, who didn't play much last year due to injury). I expect them to be a team that looks awesome one week, scoring a ton of points, and then looking horrible the next week. I say 8-8 is a good guess for them.

The Bears are always the toughest team to judge. With grossman at QB, their offense is much more dangerous, but they still need more talent on offense. Their O-line needs to play much better as well. They will have a good D again, like always, but will need help from their offense. I say around 8-8 would be good for them as well.

I really see this division as a 2 horse race again. Yes, the Vikes have added a ton of talent since last year, but as long as favre is on the Pack, they will be near the top of the division. With the talent we added, we have the most potential to have a 12 or 13 win team. I think if our coaches can do a good job this year, we should be able to win the division this year, but don't count out the pack because they didn't make any moves in the offseason.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    You sure about taht???? I would have to disagree. His mock ddraft was off big time i believe.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    You sure about taht???? I would have to disagree. His mock ddraft was off big time i believe.
    Everybody's mock draft was off big time. You can't really hold that against him. Do you ever read Gregg Easterbrook's "Tuesday Morning Quarterback" column on NFL.com? He writes a column at the end of every season entitled "All Predictions Wrong or Your Money Back". (It's in the free section of the site.) He goes through all of the predictions that the talking heads uttered during the season, and compares them to reality. He did a similar thing in his post-draft article. It's not pretty.

However, even though the talking heads generally do a lousy job of predicting events, most of them do a pretty good job breaking down events that have already happened.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    I totally agree. I think this year is going to be a dogfight in the Norse division.

Vikings: have brought in the most talent and had two decent drafts. Have a lot of talent, but may be a year away before all the pieces gel.

Packers; Yeah, getting older, but pieces were in place for 10 wins last year, and no major losses from either side other than (maybe) McKenzie

I think all four teams have the "potential" for 10 wins.
    You could have noted as well that with their "lack of talent" last season, the Vikings finished 9-7, or even that they were one play away from 10 wins and the division title. Even with the "meshing" that may be required, it is hard to envision the Vikings not finishing better than they did last year. Heck, last year they lost to the four worst teams (record-wise) in football! That anomaly is unlikely to repeat itself!

You are right about the Packers chances as well, although my opinion is that if McKenzie isn't there, the Packers pass defense may well slip into the toilet. I don't foresee either rookie CB lighting it up; rather, they will be the ones being lit up. While the Pack had some questionable losses last season themselves (Arz, Det, Min & KC @ Lambeau), it's hard for me to see them improving from last season, as they have done little to nothing to improve themselves. They may be hard pressed to repeat 10 wins.

As improved as Chi and Det figure to be, any team in the North should be capable of winning each week. I fully expect the Vikings will be on top when all the smoke clears.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast