Thread: Joey Browner

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Joey Browner

[size=18px]Browner made his own name at Southern Cal [/size]

By Steve Megargee, Rivals.com
    College Football Staff Writer

Did you ever wonder what became of your favorite college football stars from yesteryear? Did you think about how often they're reminded of their crowning achievements?

Wonder no more.

Rivals.com is spending the summer tracking down some of the college players who delivered the most memorable moments of the last generation.

These moments all occurred a while ago, yet the events may as well have taken place yesterday. The moments are still that fresh in the minds of each player.

They are often asked about the seasons that made them famous. And they're only too happy to share their memories.

Joey Browner, Southern California defensive back

Name: Joey Browner
    Residence: Pierz, Minn.

Claim to fame: Browner was a four-year letterman as a defensive back at USC. He holds the distinction of being on Trojans teams that won four consecutive games against rival Notre Dame from 1979-82. He earned the first start of his collegiate career in the Rose Bowl at the end of his freshman season. USC won that game 17-10 over Michigan. Browner also played on a Rose Bowl champ in 1980 when the Trojans beat Ohio State, 17-16.

He had the distinction of playing with two Heisman Trophy winners, Charles White and Marcus Allen. Browner was one of the captains on the 1982 team, and he was named All-Pac 10 that season. The team did not play in a bowl game his senior year because of NCAA sanctions (the team went 8-3). He played his entire career for coach John Robinson. Browner was taken in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings.

How often you're reminded of your college career: "Regularly. The rivalry with Southern Cal and Notre Dame is what keeps it alive the most. That gets brought up every year."

Memories of his college career: "I wanted to go somewhere where my brothers were not at. When you're a child and you have older brothers who are successful you want to try to make your own way. I wanted to make my own footsteps on the gridiron. The logical thing was to go somewhere else (and not follow his older brothers to Notre Dame). Southern Cal was one of those schools that had everything I was looking for, which was playing on television at least four times a year. It also had a lot of great talent and I knew I'd have a chance to compete at the highest level.

"I was there with two Heisman Trophy winners, Marcus Allen and Charles White. I got a chance to play with Bruce Matthews, who is one of the great offensive linemen of all time. I played in the same secondary with Ronnie Lott and Dennis Smith. A lot of guys I played with went on to have great pro careers. These were the elite athletes of that time. And because of my experiences there it allowed me to go on and have a chance to play pro ball, and Coach Robinson had prepared me to be able to go into a pro system and flourish in it.

"We were one of the only classes to beat Notre Dame four straight years (in fact this past season's seniors became just the third class to accomplish the feat). It is bragging rights in the family somewhat, but we don't talk about it much because they (Browner's older brothers Ross and Jim) were already done with their careers in South Bend. It was just about being in school and being successful and then having an opportunity to get in the draft.

"Playing in the Rose Bowl definitely sticks out. Getting to start as a freshman in the Rose Bowl was quite an experience. Then the next year Charles White put on a show and we won it again (White gained a Rose Bowl record 247 yards). That was the year my mother was able to make it to the game, so that one will always be special.

Pro career: Browner made six consecutive Pro Bowls as a safety for the Minnesota Vikings (1985-90). He played for the Vikings for nine seasons before finishing up his career with one year at Tampa Bay (1992). He was known as one of the best and surest tacklers in pro football, posting seven consecutive seasons with 100-plus tackles. Browner also was honored by being named to broadcaster John Madden's "All-Madden Team" four times.

What he's doing now: "I work with SkyLearn (the corporate headquarters is in Bloomington, Minn.). We have software for kids who are lacking in school and need extra tutoring. The software helps evaluate the child then teaches them how to catch up to their grade. There's math, English and now there's a science program. We have K-12. The parents can use it also to learn the methods that are being taught now for math, and they can see what the kids are doing and re-educate themselves."

For more on the Southern Cal Trojans, check out USCFootball.com.

Browner made his own name at Southern Cal

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Joey Browner

nice article singer!! J.b has always been and will always be one of my fav players of the vikings!! i tried once to find the dojo he was training at. can't remember the style but if i remember he was while playing at least a 1 lvl black belt.

tha man nvr took any kinda flack.. and he'd lay rb's and wr's on their backs!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Fight on Joey ............

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mcnabVEKv0AExWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11prev0tu/EXP=1152826023/**http%3a//www.go4thestars.com/4913jb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mlzabVEDkcAcR6jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11paiptru/EXP=1152826099/**http%3a//www.go4thestars.com/4884jb.jpg[/IMG]
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Woohoo! J O E Y !!!

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Joey Browner waws awesome. Great player. Reminds me of an old fashioned Troy Palomolu

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Freya" wrote:
    Woohoo! J O E Y !!!
    Somebody wants her some Joey! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Bheadgood is offline Rookie

Joey was always around the ball. I also liked the fact he wore Hockey elbow pads.
    Any matter can be resolved over a few coldies.

Put him in the Ring of Honor .......DAMM IT !!!!!!!!!
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig