singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Joe Webbs focus entirely on QB position this year

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    But his focus will only end up being for the backup QB spot as there will be no competition for the starting QB role. Ponder will be given that regardless.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp:1124999
    But his focus will only end up being for the backup QB spot as there will be no competition for the starting QB role. Ponder will be given that regardless.
    I agree with your post but I think they are trying to get Ponder in a place where he's confident and doesn't feel there is competition breathing down his back. The irony is that if he continues to struggle this year he will be pulled. It's an artificial security blanket.

That being said I think they just want him to be confident and they suspect he then will become the franchise qb they drafted. Number one picks have an extra amount of buffer that most do not.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I hope Ponder escapes the injury bug but I see him playing ok this year but getting hurt. Joe comes in, and a QB controversy brews.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I hope Ponder escapes the injury bug but I see him playing ok this year but getting hurt. Joe comes in, and a QB controversy brews.
    I think you are more likely to see controversy if Ponder struggles in preseason and Webb doesn't.
    I really like Webb's potential as he gains knowledge and experience, but it's unlikely he will unseat Ponder unless Ponder gets injured. Rightfully so.

This is Ponder's year to prove he is a franchise QB. So much is invested in him that the coaching staff won't bench him until they are certain he's not the answer. So he has an 'I can underperform for awhile' card.

I think Ponder will continue to improve and become the QB we are looking for. But just in case he is injured, I'm glad we have Webb as his back up.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    That's dissapointing as Webb will never be a starting QB in this league. He has too much talent to waste riding the bench as a backup though.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    That's dissapointing as Webb will never be a starting QB in this league. He has too much talent to waste riding the bench as a backup though.
    Physical talent and ability to play the position are two different things. He is an amazing physical specimen, to be sure. But as a QB he is only OK. His most exciting plays came form his legs, and the game is at a point where a running QB will not be successful. If you know what you are going up against, they are simply too easy to game plan for.

Webb is a great backup - partially because of his physical nature, partially because game planning for him is completely different than game planning for a pocket passer. This means that when he comes in for relief, the defense is not prepared for him. But if he has to start a game and the defense has a week or two to prepare it is a different story.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=