Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Really? I don't. He always had problems catching, in camp and regular season.
    When Stewart became the Vikings' wide receivers coach last winter, he knew he had work to do. So he made Williamson catch balls - thousands of them. Stewart says Williamson caught nearly 14,000 passes during the offseason from coaches, quarterbacks and a JUGS machine at the Vikings' facility. "It wasn't like they were cupcake catches," Stewart said. "We wore out arms this offseason." Williamson bought a JUGS machine for his home and, between his work at home and at the Vikings' facility, he estimates he caught close to 20,000 balls. "I don't have a problem with Troy Williamson's hands," Stewart said.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

WebbWatch: Joe Webb's athleticism

After seeing Webb on Wednesday, I would enhance the assessment by noting his excellent hands, routinely snatching the ball out of the air before it came close to his body.
    WebbWatch: Joe Webb's athleticism - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    When Stewart became the Vikings' wide receivers coach last winter, he knew he had work to do. So he made Williamson catch balls - thousands of them. Stewart says Williamson caught nearly 14,000 passes during the offseason from coaches, quarterbacks and a JUGS machine at the Vikings' facility. "It wasn't like they were cupcake catches," Stewart said. "We wore out arms this offseason." Williamson bought a JUGS machine for his home and, between his work at home and at the Vikings' facility, he estimates he caught close to 20,000 balls. "I don't have a problem with Troy Williamson's hands," Stewart said.
    Catching balls in a controlled environment is a lot different than on the field.

Williamson's problem may not have been his hands, it may have been concentration or eyesight(I do recall something about a vision problem.) Both of these things get lumped into the category of "hands" when trying to catch a football. If the ball gets to someone accurately, and they get their arms or body on it, but don't reel it in, people are going to say they have bad hands. Even if the problem has nothing to do with your hands... as I'd imagine it virtually never does. Because what can actually be wrong with your hands other than obvious physical deformity or comical lack of size?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Catching balls in a controlled environment is a lot different than on the field.

Williamson's problem may not have been his hands, it may have been concentration or eyesight(I do recall something about a vision problem.) Both of these things get lumped into the category of "hands" when trying to catch a football. If the ball gets to someone accurately, and they get their arms or body on it, but don't reel it in, people are going to say they have bad hands. Even if the problem has nothing to do with your hands... as I'd imagine it virtually never does. Because what can actually be wrong with your hands other than obvious physical deformity or comical lack of size?
    Replace 'hands' with ability to catch, and there is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Which was exactly my point. Webb is catching balls in a controlled environment. Yet several people are already already crowning him our secret superstar/biggest backup superstar.

I think I'll wait to pass judgement on how well he does when I actually see it on game day.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    I have not seen enough of Webb in camp to even begin to make a judgment on his ability at WR.

If Randall Cobb can do it, why not Joe Webb?

And we know Webb can leap a capital "T" in a single bound.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Desparation for Webb. Not likely to make the team. He should go play in Canada for a year or two.
    And then he can catch balls from Tim Tebow!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Which was exactly my point. Webb is catching balls in a controlled environment. Yet several people are already already crowning him our secret superstar/biggest backup superstar.

I think I'll wait to pass judgement on how well he does when I actually see it on game day.
    He would have to make it to game day for that to happen. My prediction - he plays in one or two preseason games but doesn't make final cut.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I disagree with everyone saying Webb won't make the team. He'll make the team and see the field this year.

I'm guessing 24 catches, 450 yard, 5 TDs...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast