Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    MossMems is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I'm with you on that. Lets not forget that in the Pro-bowl the DB's were really focused on the "Star" WR's which made Rudy's job easy.

I really like the 3 starters (WR's) we are going into the season with. You won't see alot of deep throws like you want, but as I pointed out in that blog I posted, it doesn't happen that way in the real world when running the Walsh version of the WCO and even to some extent on the Coryell variant.

I also think we are going to see a huge step forward when it comes to the use of AD in the passing game. Although he sucks at pass protection, just the presence of 3 targets (3 WR's or 2 WRs + Rudy) will take that blocking responsibility away from him.
    Having a decent QB, that can actually read a D consistently, one with single coverage (because the D's primary focus is AD) would really open up Kyle's game and have a lot more passes going his way. Lets not forget about that my friend.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Still spewing forth that drivel?

QB Ponder to WR Wright, 65-yd, pass - NFL Videos

Give the kid a WR that can get open and he can get it there. FACT, not drivel.
    You also said Favre had a "noodle arm". Should I post some of his videos? *snicker*

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Comeon people.....Two facts....

1. Webb won't turn into a reciever.
    He just did.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    And when he (Ponder) has a guy that can get open reliably he will throw them as well. In the end, those two guys, like everyone else that is successful has a complete WR corps that they can use to set up the deep ball.
    We saw open receivers downfield even on the limited view that Fox, CBS, and NBC decides to show us on TV. We saw open receivers on deep sideline routes have to watch balls float two or three yards out of bounds for incompletions. Even Adrian Peterson was open deep only to watch the ball drop nowhere near him.

If you are stating the Vikings coaches run plays with simplistic route designs, I agree. If you are saying that the only reason Ponder did not hit receivers deep is because there were not receivers open, I have to disagree. Great quarterbacks make receivers look better than they are. Ponder could not make this group look even serviceable.

That does not mean Ponder will not be able to do so; it just means that he has not done so. As it is, Webb did even worse, so he is now a receiver. That is too bad, because Webb would be a nice running back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    You also said Favre had a "noodle arm". Should I post some of his videos? *snicker*
    LMAO! He was bashing Favre because on a couple of his long throws over 65 yards, Rice had to slow down a couple steps to catch it.

Ignoring the fact that on ALL of Ponder's throws over 45 yards the receiver could not catch it in stride, they had to stop, turn around and lose momentum to catch it.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    LMAO! He was bashing Favre because on a couple of his long throws over 65 yards, Rice had to slow down a couple steps to catch it.

Ignoring the fact that on ALL of Ponder's throws over 45 yards the receiver could not catch it in stride, they had to stop, turn around and lose momentum to catch it.
    Which is why on all 3 of those throws not a single one of them was a TD.

In fact he only threw 1 pass last year in all his attempts over 20 yards that went for a TD.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Apparently Joe Webb is transitioning to WR fairly well.

Joe Webb - Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Joe Webb is reportedly "catching everything" at OTAs.

Continued...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Dibbzz is offline Starter
    Also this: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...11678271766528

I'm not really going to read into this until we see Webb in the preseason. With pads on. Going up against (hopefully) starting caliber cornerbacks AND THEN see if he still catches everything thrown to him. It's a good sign thus far but let's be honest these are OTA's not games (preseason or otherwise). I like his potential but I'm not holding my breath...yet.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Joe Webb is reportedly "catching everything" at OTAs.
    If Ponder is throwing to him that translates into "Webb is catching LOS & 5-10 yard passes.

On a side note, I remember the year Troy Williamson was "catching everything in camp".

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    On a side note, I remember the year Troy Williamson was "catching everything in camp".
    Really? I don't. He always had problems catching, in camp and regular season.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast