Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Sure you can show one pass that he happened to connect on, want to see Webb's 50 yarder again too?

Watch Minnesota Vikings vs. Green Bay Packers [01/05/2013] - NFL.com

But what about the 27 out of 34 passes over 20 yards he didn't connect on?

Not sure about you, but 7/34 on passes over 20 yards doesn't scream accuracy.

There's a reason 73% of his passes are thrown for less than 10 yards.
    Sure, its the same reason that other teams don't throw it deep.....

How Important Is the Split End (X) Reciever in the WCO? – Vikings Authority
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    The idea that all 3 WR's are going to dramatically improve over last year is wishful thinking or purple shades. All three combined had 950yards and 6TD last year. We need help at WR in a big way.
    I don't think anyone is sayin gthat all 3 WR's are going to dramatically improve over last year.

I for one think that by getting rid of the crap and adding quality the WR corps as a whole will improve and thus our passing attack will improve.

That includes TE's and RB's to my friend. Lest we forget, Rudy was tied for second in TD's for TE's last year. Something that can and will improve when we get someone that can be a red zone threat.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I like that a lot, Marrdro. Great post!
    That's exactly the type of guys we have on our roster now. Funny, I haven't given it much thought. If Simpson can play to his potential and all three can stay healthy we will have a complete offense. Hell, maybe even Greg Childs can breakout from off the bench.

The question marks are too big to not draft a receiver in day one or day two though. The bad thing is that everyone (including me) are screaming for a WR in this draft, but reality is that receivers will take more time to adjust to the NFL than almost any other position. So if we are talking win right now we can't expect too much out of the rookie receiver this year. Just to keep in mind.
    Thanks my friend. As to your post, good stuff. Just one comment.......

I actually think that WR's can/will adjust to the NFL a bit faster than they used to. Mostly because of the predominance of the "Spread" offense in the league. Alot more of them are getting used. Problem is, with the spread they usually only have to learn one position so when they come out, if they were an X, they are going to be good at those routes....A Z, they will be good at those routes.

Sometimes you might come across a kid like Hunter who can play all 3 spots, but it sure doesn't look like that is the norm.

As to a WR drafted this year. I think the Vikes are one of the teams that have the luxury of grabbing a kid like Patterson. With a WR corps like we have, mostly because of the flexibility Jennings brings (can play all 3) we will have the luxury of being patient on what the coaches work with him on.

My guess, if they grab him they will work with him almost exclusively on the 4, 5, and 6 routes (he is already good on the 7, 8 and 9) so that he can use his size, speed and hands to move the changes as well as be a good target in the red zone, which is were we really need the help.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I don't think anyone is sayin gthat all 3 WR's are going to dramatically improve over last year.

I for one think that by getting rid of the crap and adding quality the WR corps as a whole will improve and thus our passing attack will improve.

That includes TE's and RB's to my friend. Lest we forget, Rudy was tied for second in TD's for TE's last year. Something that can and will improve when we get someone that can be a red zone threat.
    We need to start using K-Rud the same way he was used in the Pro Bowl. Same TE used differently. Remember the results?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

We need to start using K-Rud the same way he was used in the Pro Bowl. Same TE used differently. Remember the results?
    I'm with you on that. Lets not forget that in the Pro-bowl the DB's were really focused on the "Star" WR's which made Rudy's job easy.

I really like the 3 starters (WR's) we are going into the season with. You won't see alot of deep throws like you want, but as I pointed out in that blog I posted, it doesn't happen that way in the real world when running the Walsh version of the WCO and even to some extent on the Coryell variant.

I also think we are going to see a huge step forward when it comes to the use of AD in the passing game. Although he sucks at pass protection, just the presence of 3 targets (3 WR's or 2 WRs + Rudy) will take that blocking responsibility away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Sure, its the same reason that other teams don't throw it deep.....

How Important Is the Split End (X) Reciever in the WCO? Vikings Authority
    That was written by some yutz :P

On passes of over 20 yards;

Ponder was 7 of 34 (21%) for 1 TD

Brady was 22 of 68 (32%) for 8 TD's

Rodgers was 21 of 56 (38%) for 11 TD's

You see the difference now? They are throwing deep & they are throwing TD's. That's why they throw them.

You see the difference now? They are throwing deep & they are throwing TD's. That's why they throw them.
    And when he (Ponder) has a guy that can get open reliably he will throw them as well. In the end, those two guys, like everyone else that is successful has a complete WR corps that they can use to set up the deep ball.

Ponder didn't. The only reason the one to Wright worked is because no one (including you and me) expected it.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Guess we just need to have Ponder sling in over 40 yards on a regular basis as his stats are way better than the other 2 in the 41+ catagory

Ponder 2-3 rating 109.7

Brady 0-6 rating 39.6

Rodgers 1-7 rating 18.5

but I'd say Ponders arm would fall of by week 3

Vikings move quarterback Joe Webb to full-time receiver

Vikings move quarterback Joe Webb to full-time*receiver | SI Tracking Blog

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Good.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast