Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I think this is a good move, but not for the same reasons as others have indicated.

First, we're not going to keep four QBs anyway. Either Webb or MBT would be hitting the bricks at some point.

Second, by switching positions, if we do keep him on, his next contract will pay as a WR based on his performance, not as a QB. Assuming, that is, that we even want to keep him at that point.

Third, it allows his freakish athletic ability to be put to better use.

It's a no-lose proposition.

Of course, I'd like it even better if they put him to work returning kicks. That's somewhere he could really shine and is also a position of possible need for us. Too bad he's not suitable for MLB. Maybe CB?

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I think DB is out of the question here. Not because he doesn't have the ability, but you have to realize that DBs need to be FAST and QUICK. Not just relatively fast, but a DB should be one of themost athletic guys on the field.

Webb, although athletic, is good as a Quarterback. Compare him to a WR, RB and DB, and he's just so-so. He's not faster than the top Corners in the league, and he's certainly not quicker. He's not elite in the NFL with any of his measurables (maybe jumping). And I honestly don't think he can react quick enough and keep up with the top receivers. He might be a servicable #5 DB, but that's about it.

I really don't think Webb has a place in the NFL. I just don't. I thought he might turn into an ok backup QB , but that's not the case.
    Joe Webb:
    6'4" 225lbs. 4.43s 40 yard dash. 3.91s short shuttle. 6.55s 3 cone drill. 42.5' vertical. 11'5.5" broad jump.
    Brandon Browner:
    6'4" 221lbs. 4.63s 40 yard dash. 4.24s short shuttle. 7.20s 3 cone drill. 36.5" vertical. 10'3" broad jump.
    Darrelle Revis:
    6' 204lbs. 4.38s 40 yard dash. 4.08s short shuttle. 6.56 3 cone drill. 38" vertical. 10'5" broad jump.

Athleticism is not an issue, at all.

I'd make a Troy Brown reference, but it's not appropriate. Troy Brown was an NFL wide receiver, Joe Webb really never has been.

Going from QB to CB is a huge step. At least wide receivers know CB tendencies from seeing it every time they play or practice. If he ever played corner in the past, maybe he could do it. But from a technique perspective I think it's a lost cause. The time it would take to make an NFL quality cornerback out of someone who's(presumably) never played it before would create a wasted roster spot. I think too many teams would have interest in him as a receiver for us to keep him around as a project corner.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 04-15-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    He's not faster than the top Corners in the league,
    He would beat Winfield in a race now that Winny is 36. Their college 40 times were pretty similar with Winfield doing a 4.41 and Webb a 4.43.

In the end when I floated the idea of him being a CB I certainly don't have any faith that our staff could make that type of change. If it were the Patriots then yeah, but we can't even develop the players we draft who are CB's and WR's let alone turn them into a player at a totally different position.

Here is a little bit on his tangibles.

Working out as a wide receiver at UAB Pro Day, some of Webb's numbers would have led other wide receivers' at the NFL combine. His vertical jump of 42.5 inches (108 cm) was better than any turned in by a receiver, as was his standing long jump of 11 feet 5.5 inches (3.49 m). Webb's bench press—21 reps at 225 pounds (102 kg)—was the best at his position. Only one other receiver managed 20 reps at the same weight, according to UAB athletic department. Webb also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds.[3]

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Jerome Simpson now has some competition in training camp. To be honest I hope Joe can learn to catch and run routes, being a former quarterback he should know where to be as a receiver. I have no idea how his ball catching skills are at this point but if he can catch 6 of 10 then he will be on par with Jerome(The Joint)Simpson.

In the end he will more than likely be cut, but you never know. The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and again.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    I think this is a good move, but not for the same reasons as others have indicated.

First, we're not going to keep four QBs anyway. Either Webb or MBT would be hitting the bricks at some point.

Second, by switching positions, if we do keep him on, his next contract will pay as a WR based on his performance, not as a QB. Assuming, that is, that we even want to keep him at that point.

Third, it allows his freakish athletic ability to be put to better use.

It's a no-lose proposition.

Of course, I'd like it even better if they put him to work returning kicks. That's somewhere he could really shine and is also a position of possible need for us. Too bad he's not suitable for MLB. Maybe CB?

I like the kick return idea. Hope he can pick that up. I would really like to see him pick up the WR position. I like him and he has great athletic ability. Hate to see that wasted.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packsux! View Post
    jerome simpson now has some competition in training camp. To be honest i hope joe can learn to catch and run routes, being a former quarterback he should know where to be as a receiver. I have no idea how his ball catching skills are at this point but if he can catch 6 of 10 then he will be on par with jerome(the joint)simpson.

In the end he will more than likely be cut, but you never know. The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and again.
    lmao.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I don't get all this negative stuff about Webb. ie If he can learn to catch, if he can figure out how to run routs, etc. He was drafted as a receiver!!! Obviously someone knew he could catch the ball, and someone knew he was smart enough to memorize a few pass routs. And someone figured out he was big enough and strong enough to get past being jammed at the LOS. Personally I wish they had put him in as a receiver two years ago instead of wasting time on him as a backup QB.

WWBGD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I don't get all this negative stuff about Webb. ie If he can learn to catch, if he can figure out how to run routs, etc. He was drafted as a receiver!!! Obviously someone knew he could catch the ball, and someone knew he was smart enough to memorize a few pass routs. And someone figured out he was big enough and strong enough to get past being jammed at the LOS. Personally I wish they had put him in as a receiver two years ago instead of wasting time on him as a backup QB.
    Well to be fair there is a bit of difference between doing it at the division D level and the NFL. If every player in d-whatever who had someone evaluate them as being able to catch the ball, run a route etc at that level was good enough for the NFL we would have such a hard time filling our roster with them.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    It's not like it would be hard to learn the routes Ponder's capable of throwing with accuracy.

Run 5 yards, stop turn catch the ball.

Run 5 yards, turn, run right, catch the ball.

Run 5 yards, turn, run left, catch the ball.

Stand at LOS, turn towards QB, catch the ball.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Nice singer.

WWBGD

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast