Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Against the Eagles, he had a game that would be considered subpar for any other QB.
    If you consider throwing the ball for almost 200 yards, completing 65% of his passes thrown, scoring a TD, throwing no interceptions & winning the game is sub-par at best, then I guess all but 4-5 of the 27 games Ponder has played in for us have been sub-par (74%)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If you consider throwing the ball for almost 200 yards, completing 65% of his passes thrown, scoring a TD, throwing no interceptions & winning the game is sub-par at best, then I guess all but 4-5 of the 27 games Ponder has played in for us have been sub-par (74%)

They have been and there is no other way to slice it. That being said it is pretty clear from watching Webb and Ponder that even though Ponder has been marginal at best so far, Webb isn't even close to being in that conversation.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

You probably won't hear too many arguments against that point.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    They have been and there is no other way to slice it. That being said it is pretty clear from watching Webb and Ponder that even though Ponder has been marginal at best so far, Webb isn't even close to being in that conversation.
    Agreed. Ponder hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been good. Webb has been worse.

Webb has been good for half a game(Lions), not very good(Eagles), Awful(Bears) and Horrible(Packers) in his chances with real game time.

After 3 years, if you still look like you shouldn't step on an NFL field, it's time to go, sorry. In the NFL, you can't afford to wait 5 or 6 years for a guy to "get it"

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I've changed my mind on this, I wouldn't be against getting him some reps at WR. He can't be any worse than Aroshamadon't or Jenkins.

He's a big guy with a TON of athletic ability... I mean, we desperately need help at WR.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I've changed my mind on this, I wouldn't be against getting him some reps at WR. He can't be any worse than Aroshamadon't or Jenkins.

He's a big guy with a TON of athletic ability... I mean, we desperately need help at WR.
    The help we DONT need is a guy who doesn't know how to run good routes, doesn't have great hands and can't learn a playbook. His only hope is at DB where he can just read and react.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I think we should trade him to another team where the coaches figure out what to do with his amazing athletic skills where he goes on to become a star in the NFL and a future HOF player. That way we can look back as Vikings fans and once again say..."If only".

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The help we DONT need is a guy who doesn't know how to run good routes, doesn't have great hands and can't learn a playbook. His only hope is at DB where he can just read and react.
    Can you cite your sources as to him not having great hands or not running routes well? Honestly curious, I haven't seen that anywhere.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Can you cite your sources as to him not having great hands or not running routes well? Honestly curious, I haven't seen that anywhere.
    So I decided to look into this a bit to see if there was anything negative about him playing WR floating around out there.

I could find zero negative comments about his ability as a WR that weren't linked to PP.O. I did find a couple of decent positive nuggets though.

During the 2007 season, Webb saw extensive action, playing as a wide receiver, starting seven games and finishing the season with 30 receptions for 459 yards with three touchdown catches.
    Here is a breakdown of Joe Webb’s Pro Day performances:

Bench Press (reps of 225 pounds) – 21 (best by a WR at combine was 20)
    Vertical Jump – 42 1/2 (best by a WR at combine was 41 1/2)
    Broad Jump – 11 1/2 (best for any player at combine was 11)
    20-Yard Shuttle – 3.91 (best for any player at combine was 4.03)
    40-Yard Dash – 4.43 (among WRs at combine, Webb’s time would be 5th fastest)
    He took about 20 snaps at WR in 2011, all of them in that dumb ass Blazer formation, so it is impossible for us as fans to truly evaluate him at the position.

The only thing I can say is that the coaching staff felt he was a better QB than WR, if that says anything...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    The only thing I can say is that the coaching staff felt he was a better QB than WR, if that says anything...
    Yeah, it says he'll be working at the GAP next year.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast