Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    for me the webb qb project is over. I would like to see what he can do as a WR. he has the ability to do some special plays, knows what the qb thought processes is, and has a solid understanding of the playbook.
    he is very athletic, crazy vert leap, and good speed, he can't be worse then our WR group as a whole, and would come in with a reasonable price tag.

if we don't go this route, i'm sure someone will pick him up and try the WR route. then we might be kicking ourselves for letting him go.

either way.. it is def time to bring in someone else, or raise MBT to the backup, and draft another project.

DiGiTaL
    I don't think that Webb will be on any NFL roster next year. No other team has any emotional investment into him like the Vikings did, and he simply doesn't have the skill to outshine anybody at any position.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    So what your saying is he'd be an improvement over Jenkins & Aromashodu?
    What's with the hate on Aromashadu? From what I saw this year when he played he did OK and a lot better than some recievers I've seen play this year.

Is he that bad?
    Purple till i die

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    If that's true then the whole coaching staff should be fired because if they knew he was that bad and still had him on the roster as the #2 then they don't deserve to be anywhere near an NFL franchise.

The fact that Webb showed promise in relief as late as the Washington game last year is why he was our backup. Nobody knew he'd be as bad as he was in that playoff game. Musgrave should be held responsible for abandoning the read option after the first drive when it was working. It was almost like our staff decided to treat a playoff game like preseason, gee this is a good time to see how Webb would do as a pocket passer. The very next week Kaepernick sets the single game QB rushing record vs the same team.
    I feel like it is the coaches fault for not having the team better prepared for this situation. Ponder was limited all week, didn't Webb get lots of practice reps!?? And, yeah, seemed like we went away from running Webb early and never looked back, and I know you need a threat of a passing game to open up the big lanes, but he is just as fast as Kaepernick...just saying that Kap's numbers were pretty surprising given how well the Pack D played vs. us the week before. They looked healthy and focused and ready for the playoffs, while my Packer friend says they didn't play any D at all at SF...?

And it was only 1 game...he's played pretty well on other occaisions. I just wonder how/why he would suddenly look so much worse. I mean were they really so sure that Ponder would play that even Webb was completely shocked he was the starter? Something smells a lil fishy...

But, I definitely agree with "always trying to improve the QB position." And I won't be disappointed if we draft another guy who takes Webb or MBT's spot, but would prefer to bring in a vet presence who can light a lil fire under Ponder's seat, and actually give us a chance to win with our running game and defense should CP end the season injured again.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I wouldn't say anything was "working" on the first drive. Between AD and a couple of good runs by Webb we made it into FG range and that is it. Webb only threw one pass, and it was incomplete.

The problem with continuing this is threefold.
    1) Eventually Webb was going to have to pass. And when he did Green Bay saw just how bad he was, and brought pretty much everyone in the box.
    2) The team prepared thinking that Ponder was going to play. You can't just walk up to the entire offense and say "hey guys, forget everything we worked on the entire week, here are 5 basic plays that we are going to run for the entire game".
    3) Kaepernick also put up 263 yards in the air. The option only works when it compliments or is complimented by the threat of a pass.

I can agree that the coaching staff screwed up by keeping Webb as their backup, but I also think the fans would have had torches and pitchforks had he been cut. Half of the people here thought that Webb deserved to start (although not a lot of them seem to be admitting it now)... Still, they should have had a better option in place.
    Some of us would have put him in to play a few times during the year when Ponder was struggling so that the team knew how ready he was if he was called on to play. Of course we were blasted for suggesting that and apparently it was much better to wait until the playoffs to see whether he was capable of coming in and playing if Ponder went down.

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

Joe Webb should play wide receiver in 2013

I've always been a sucker for athletic ability and the dreaded "potential", but you have to know when to cut your losses and move on. It's that time for Joe. Wished it could've worked.
    None

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Some of us would have put him in to play a few times during the year when Ponder was struggling so that the team knew how ready he was if he was called on to play. Of course we were blasted for suggesting that and apparently it was much better to wait until the playoffs to see whether he was capable of coming in and playing if Ponder went down.
    I am pretty sure they knew how ready Webb was or wasn't - that is why he wasn't put in during the regular season, and why they waited as long as absolutely possible before deactivating Ponder. Remember, they DO have practices. Just because the average fan isn't allowed to watch them doesn't mean that they didn't evaluate Webb.

Of course, there are people who will criticize the team for keeping Webb when he was so bad. but then again, these are the same people who would have been up in arms if they had cut him... Guess you just can't win them all.

(Honestly, I think that the coaching staff DID screw up by trying to appease the masses and keeping Webb. But hindsight is 20/20.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well, if they knew he was that bad and kept him knowing that we could need him any time they should have their heads served on a platter.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I can agree that the coaching staff screwed up by keeping Webb as their backup, but I also think the fans would have had torches and pitchforks had he been cut. Half of the people here thought that Webb deserved to start (although not a lot of them seem to be admitting it now)... Still, they should have had a better option in place.
    I don't know of anyone that was calling for him to be the starter in any game. Personally I was only calling for him in relief because he had shown he could excel in those situations. But I'll just let these guys sum it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Based on what I had seen of Webb as back up and his ability to make plays & spark an offense, I had higher hopes for him as a QB & high expectations of him heading into that playoff game.

Now I can understand that any QB can have a bad game, but what transpired on the field I never saw coming. Never in my history of watching football do I recall a QB imploding so much & looking that bad. He looked like a player that had never played QB before & was told to go out there and play QB.

There is nothing there to build on. Time to move on beyond Webb, make the cut and bring in another QB & let MBT have more opportunity to show what he has as well.
    Well, if they knew he was that bad and kept him knowing that we could need him any time they should have their heads served on a platter.
    And I would just like to add that I had trust in the coaches. I trusted them to have a decent backup plan, and that trust took a big hit.

And that's pretty much what I've been trying to say. But having said that, Webb needs to go. He can't possibly redeem himself after the playoff debacle.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    And that's pretty much what I've been trying to say. But having said that, Webb needs to go. He can't possibly redeem himself after the playoff debacle.
    The fact is, Webb has been given a few full-game chances to play, and he's shown he can't in every chance.

He's had one good game, where he came off the bench and almost led a comeback (highlighted by an 80 yard run) But make no mistake, his arm did not lead us anywhere.

Against the Bears, he stunk it up. Against the Eagles, he had a game that would be considered subpar for any other QB. Against the Packers, he flat out sucked. After 3 years, I need to see better. I don't care where you're drafted, or where you played college, if you are on an NFL roster, you are expected to play like you deserve to be there. Webb has not.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    The fact is, Webb has been given a few full-game chances to play, and he's shown he can't in every chance.

He's had one good game, where he came off the bench and almost led a comeback (highlighted by an 80 yard run) But make no mistake, his arm did not lead us anywhere.

Against the Bears, he stunk it up. Against the Eagles, he had a game that would be considered subpar for any other QB. Against the Packers, he flat out sucked. After 3 years, I need to see better. I don't care where you're drafted, or where you played college, if you are on an NFL roster, you are expected to play like you deserve to be there. Webb has not.
    Agreed.

Caine

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast