Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Whether or not Webb should have been the choice for backup is moot at this point. Let's look forward...

Was listening to Schein and Gannon on Sirius this afternoon...this very topic came up. Schein, in response to a caller, said he liked Webb as backup this year and, endorsed it for next year. Gannon countered by pointing out that "you should always try to improve the QB position." He went on to state that he thought the Vikes should bring in someone that could challenge Ponder... After which, I texted him, "I completely agree. I like Ponder, but, he needs competition AND experience if he is going to get any better." Gannon's reply, "no doubt."

Webb does not provide competition, he has charmed some fans and seemingly the coaches into this "change of pace is good" mentality. At this point, I don't care if the Vikes keep Webb and MBT...but, I'm convinced, and am hopeful, that they bring in a Free Agent or a rookie to challenge Ponder. I think it makes the Team better, and, hopefully, Ponder.

Regarding moving Webb to WR...I agree with Gannon. At this point, it's more than likely too late.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    You texted Rich Gannon?? And HE REPLIED??? WTF!!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Smith is due over 7 mil next year and Kaepernick is due just under 750K the niners can keep both, there isn't a huge amount of pressure on them to deal him unless they get a deal they like; Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson are a similar pairing with 5 mil and 526k.

The Vikings are paying Peterson and Allen 26 mil of next years 121 cap so paying 5 or 7 mil for a guy that well is possibly or is a better game manager but not really a stronger passer and it will involve some addition trade value whether a player or picks is something I find troubling. I rather spend that cap space on a free agent wr/mlb or nt and keep the draft picks.

Now Joe Webb is due 575k next year and well probably 600k could bring in this guy who is currently earning less than 300k in Canadian tire money year....

At the NFL Combine in 2006 first in the short shuttle drill and ranked among the top three quarterbacks in the three cone, broad jump and vertical jump
    LINK

Was a league and championship game MVP in 2011 (awards were a beaver toque and twofour of Molsons)

He's 29, a stronger arm than Ponder, mobile and experienced but will probably take a short time to get with the program, that could give the front office guys the chance to let Ponder start the 3rd year of the 3 year whatever it is. He's also an upgrade from Webb as a qb and I'm thinking a good plan B that with low risk.

Now that Andy Dalton has broken the red haired barrier

"Has there ever been a red-headed quarterback in the NFL who's really done well?"
    Dalton's red hair a red flag

It might be worth a look at bringing Travis Lulay from the BC Lions the place where Bud Grant brought in Joe Kapp from

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    If that's true then the whole coaching staff should be fired because if they knew he was that bad and still had him on the roster as the #2 then they don't deserve to be anywhere near an NFL franchise.

The fact that Webb showed promise in relief as late as the Washington game last year is why he was our backup. Nobody knew he'd be as bad as he was in that playoff game. Musgrave should be held responsible for abandoning the read option after the first drive when it was working. It was almost like our staff decided to treat a playoff game like preseason, gee this is a good time to see how Webb would do as a pocket passer. The very next week Kaepernick sets the single game QB rushing record vs the same team.
    I wouldn't say anything was "working" on the first drive. Between AD and a couple of good runs by Webb we made it into FG range and that is it. Webb only threw one pass, and it was incomplete.

The problem with continuing this is threefold.
    1) Eventually Webb was going to have to pass. And when he did Green Bay saw just how bad he was, and brought pretty much everyone in the box.
    2) The team prepared thinking that Ponder was going to play. You can't just walk up to the entire offense and say "hey guys, forget everything we worked on the entire week, here are 5 basic plays that we are going to run for the entire game".
    3) Kaepernick also put up 263 yards in the air. The option only works when it compliments or is complimented by the threat of a pass.

I can agree that the coaching staff screwed up by keeping Webb as their backup, but I also think the fans would have had torches and pitchforks had he been cut. Half of the people here thought that Webb deserved to start (although not a lot of them seem to be admitting it now)... Still, they should have had a better option in place.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Whether or not Webb should have been the choice for backup is moot at this point. Let's look forward...

Was listening to Schein and Gannon on Sirius this afternoon...this very topic came up. Schein, in response to a caller, said he liked Webb as backup this year and, endorsed it for next year. Gannon countered by pointing out that "you should always try to improve the QB position." He went on to state that he thought the Vikes should bring in someone that could challenge Ponder... After which, I texted him, "I completely agree. I like Ponder, but, he needs competition AND experience if he is going to get any better." Gannon's reply, "no doubt."

Webb does not provide competition, he has charmed some fans and seemingly the coaches into this "change of pace is good" mentality. At this point, I don't care if the Vikes keep Webb and MBT...but, I'm convinced, and am hopeful, that they bring in a Free Agent or a rookie to challenge Ponder. I think it makes the Team better, and, hopefully, Ponder.

Regarding moving Webb to WR...I agree with Gannon. At this point, it's more than likely too late.
    Based on what I had seen of Webb as back up and his ability to make plays & spark an offense, I had higher hopes for him as a QB & high expectations of him heading into that playoff game.

Now I can understand that any QB can have a bad game, but what transpired on the field I never saw coming. Never in my history of watching football do I recall a QB imploding so much & looking that bad. He looked like a player that had never played QB before & was told to go out there and play QB.

There is nothing there to build on. Time to move on beyond Webb, make the cut and bring in another QB & let MBT have more opportunity to show what he has as well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post

Based on what I had seen of Webb as back up and his ability to make plays & spark an offense, I had higher hopes for him as a QB & high expectations of him heading into that playoff game.

Now I can understand that any QB can have a bad game, but what transpired on the field I never saw coming. Never in my history of watching football do I recall a QB imploding so much & looking that bad. He looked like a player that had never played QB before & was told to go out there and play QB.

There is nothing there to build on. Time to move on beyond Webb, make the cut and bring in another QB & let MBT have more opportunity to show what he has as well.
    Yeah, agreed. That would also be a logical plan.

Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    You texted Rich Gannon?? And HE REPLIED??? WTF!!!
    Yeah, met Rich a few years ago as a result of sponsoring the University of Delaware in a golf tournament fundraiser. Got to know him and we remain in contact. He is a good man on every level.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Smith is due over 7 mil next year and Kaepernick is due just under 750K the niners can keep both, there isn't a huge amount of pressure on them to deal him unless they get a deal they like; Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson are a similar pairing with 5 mil and 526k.

The Vikings are paying Peterson and Allen 26 mil of next years 121 cap so paying 5 or 7 mil for a guy that well is possibly or is a better game manager but not really a stronger passer and it will involve some addition trade value whether a player or picks is something I find troubling. I rather spend that cap space on a free agent wr/mlb or nt and keep the draft picks.

Now Joe Webb is due 575k next year and well probably 600k could bring in this guy who is currently earning less than 300k in Canadian tire money year....

LINK

Was a league and championship game MVP in 2011 (awards were a beaver toque and twofour of Molsons)

He's 29, a stronger arm than Ponder, mobile and experienced but will probably take a short time to get with the program, that could give the front office guys the chance to let Ponder start the 3rd year of the 3 year whatever it is. He's also an upgrade from Webb as a qb and I'm thinking a good plan B that with low risk.

Now that Andy Dalton has broken the red haired barrier

Dalton's red hair a red flag

It might be worth a look at bringing Travis Lulay from the BC Lions the place where Bud Grant brought in Joe Kapp from
    I would be more interested in Matt Flynn. He signed a big contract with Seattle and he will either be traded or maybe cut depending on the hit Seattle would take againt the cap.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Wow thats awesome!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    for me the webb qb project is over. I would like to see what he can do as a WR. he has the ability to do some special plays, knows what the qb thought processes is, and has a solid understanding of the playbook.
    he is very athletic, crazy vert leap, and good speed, he can't be worse then our WR group as a whole, and would come in with a reasonable price tag.

if we don't go this route, i'm sure someone will pick him up and try the WR route. then we might be kicking ourselves for letting him go.

either way.. it is def time to bring in someone else, or raise MBT to the backup, and draft another project.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast