Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy can catch

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Jimmy can catch

"ndakvikefan" wrote:
    Well muchluv I actually agree with you for the most part. We do need a TE to split the seams. You are absolutely right. But I do dissagree with you about jimmy catching the ball. He does have very good hands, I watched him play in college. Here is the problem with his pass catching: The man is 6-3 280lbs with huge stubby guns on him. You won't see many men that size fully extending making finger tip catches. A man that size need to have the ball thrown pretty much in his hands, and I bet if you were able to go back and look at the passes he drops it is because he had to extend for them. This is not an excuse, just a reason. Yes alot of TE's would make those catches but most TE's are not his size. This is the reason he is not a downfield threat, he has the speed but because of his size he is not the most elegant reciever.
    As for him being as good as Heap, as a all around TE he is just as good but as a recieving TE, NO but at the same time all Heap or Gonzales have over Jimmy is that they are better recievers.
    I found a rating system for every position on a website, and the league average for TE's was 198 and Kleinsasser was a 488 and the league's best ws a 916. I don't know what the criteria for this rating system was it just showed the numbers. Another thing about Heap and Gonzales, is taht they are not the usual TE's they are more like big WR's and they are thier teams prime recievers, so who would I rather have on my team, Todd Heap or Tony Gonzales who can't block and would not get many catches with the vikes corps of recievers or Jimmy who can bail out Duante as a safety valve and play the role of the second Tackle? I would take Jimmy for the vikes he fits the role.

Hey, are you from grand forks or the area?

Again I say this: I am not saying jimmy can't catch the ball or that he has bad hands. And I also saw jimmy play in college. I actaully go to UND right now and saw everyone of his games. He is not the same guy now that he was then also. He is bigger now and like you said he can't extend to catch the ball.

I don't think you are considering how well heap and gonzo block. It is their good blocking that makes every expert say that they are the top Te's in the game. They don't just say this because the catch a lot of passes. All around I would still put gonzo and heap ahead of jimmy. They are heads and shoulders ahead of him at receiving and they are also good blockers. I absolutely would take a Gonzo or heap over jimmy for the vikes. If they were on our team, they would catch a ton of balls, with how open moss makes the middle of the field. If they were covered, then moss would have a record breaking year. You guys talk about our offense not using or needing a gonzo type of TE, but that is so wrong. We havent had one, so we haven't use the TE that way. Wiggins will be used that way this season, in the same offense we ran last year. Again, there is a reason why we signed wiggins to be that TE. Yes, we had the #1 offense last year, but it would be even better if we did have that TE to go down the seams. I hope wiggins is that guy, even though I don't see it happening.

In that rating system you found, what were gonzo, heap and other Te's rated?

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Jimmy can catch

Actually, I bet JK could be a pretty good receiving threat down the seams, over the middle, etc. if Daunte could hit him in stride. The fact is (I think) that the Vikings are looking to go downfield more to the WRs, and actually need JK to block at the line, or at least chip, before going out. In most cases last year, he was a safety valve for Culp when everyone was covered or the pressure was getting hot. If he was actually the #1 or #2 option 15 yards downfield, I bet he could be hot stuff. But Culp would have to hit him right; if JK has to stop his momentum to zero or near zero, he will probably get very little after the catch.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Jimmy can catch

"purplepat" wrote:
    Actually, I bet JK could be a pretty good receiving threat down the seams, over the middle, etc. if Daunte could hit him in stride. The fact is (I think) that the Vikings are looking to go downfield more to the WRs, and actually need JK to block at the line, or at least chip, before going out. In most cases last year, he was a safety valve for Culp when everyone was covered or the pressure was getting hot. If he was actually the #1 or #2 option 15 yards downfield, I bet he could be hot stuff. But Culp would have to hit him right; if JK has to stop his momentum to zero or near zero, he will probably get very little after the catch.

Sorry I just don't see it, but thats just my opinion. I know I keep saying this but if JK could be a good downfield Te, then why did he never ever do it last year? And why did Tice say we needed to get wiggins to play that role? Yes, it helps to have jimmy in there blocking, but eventually he went out for passes, but never past the 5 or 10 yard range. It just seems to me that tice didn't believe that jimmy could be that kind of TE and that is why he brought in wiggins and also why he never tried to use jimmy in that way. This is my opinion. I beleive we didn't use jimmy in that role, because he isn't good at it. He is good at short yard plays but not stretching the field. One thing I do love about him, is that he can stay in the pass block, and take the other teams DE one-on-one.

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Jimmy can catch

JK reminds me a lot of William Henderson. He catches the ball o.k. but, then falls down quickly or is easily knocked off his feet.

I guess there's always room for a guy like that on your team.

Henderson's much better looking though. Is there an uglier player in the NFL than Jimmy K.?
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

superior230bartime is offline Pro-Bowler

Jimmy can catch

The same people arguing this are also the same people that were offended when JK was not listed in the top 50 players in the NFL. I mean c'mon where in the hell is this so called intelligent converstaion you guys claim to have around here. I said Kleinsasser was not a top 3 tight end in the league(which he is nowehere close to by the way) and I got ripped on by multiple people on this board.
    purplepride.org: Home of Disillusioned Vikings Fans World-wide

superior230bartime is offline Pro-Bowler

Jimmy can catch

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    JK reminds me a lot of William Henderson. He catches the ball o.k. but, then falls down quickly or is easily knocked off his feet.

I guess there's always room for a guy like that on your team.

Henderson's much better looking though. Is there an uglier player in the NFL than Jimmy K.?
    Possibly Chris Hovan
    purplepride.org: Home of Disillusioned Vikings Fans World-wide

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Jimmy can catch

i went to the vikis & sd game last year and JK made a beautiful one handed catch over the middle it was like the ball just slipped in

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Jimmy can catch

I'll say this...without Jimmy K we would have to revamp our entire offensive scheme. That's straight frim Linehan's mouth. That's how important he is to the Vikings offense.

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Jimmy can catch

"magicci" wrote:
    i went to the vikis & sd game last year and JK made a beautiful one handed catch over the middle it was like the ball just slipped in

vikes not vikis it's late in the night

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Jimmy can catch

Kleinsasser is not the downfield receiving threat that Heap, Gonzalez and Shockey are. That's not at all what I was saying. But it just surprised me how many receptions he does have and his role in our offense is a lot bigger than some people think. At the end of the season some people were saying they didn't think it would really hurt us if Kleinsasser left the team. But it would have.

Most teams look for their TEs to be built like receivers because that's how they use them. The Vikings aren't one of those teams. Tice likes to run the football over the defense so the TE is asked to block for the runner more than advance the football. When we do go to the passing game, Tice likes to spread the defense and have receivers that can go deep. In this type of passing game you need players who can pass protect longer than 2 seconds, which you don't need in the WCO because the QB dumps the ball immediately. But there are times when Kleinsasser is used for those critical short yardage gains. He gives us that option and that's why I don't think the Vikings really need another type of TE. Defenses don't really expect to see that with Kleinsasser. Remember his TD in the Chiefs game? The defense didn't even consider him worthy of coverage and they paid for it. He does so many things for this offense but because he does not have the flashy numbers of the "big three" TEs, his value gets underestimated.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast