Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Jim Souhan: Vikings are bad break away from serious QB probl

[size=18px]Jim Souhan: Vikings are bad break away from serious QB problem[/size]
    [size=18px]Brad Johnson must stay healthy or the Vikings will discover that his backup is the team's second-most important player.[/size]
    Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

MANKATO - On a Tuesday the headlines informed us that Daunte Culpepper might play in the Dolphins' first exhibition game, Tarvaris Jackson looked like the Vikings' second-best quarterback during morning practice in Mankato.

How are these events connected? By the machinations of Big Bad Brad Childress.

The Vikings' mysterious, mute and amorphous brain trust decided to enter the 2006 season with a 37-year-old quarterback as their starter. Brad Johnson plays the most important and difficult position on the team, and he's smart and accurate enough to fare well in Childress' (Mid)West Coast Offense.

If he gets hurt, though -- and most NFL quarterbacks, regardless of age, get hurt, unless they avoid injury by throwing 29 interceptions and running away from contact, not that we're thinking of anyone in particular -- the Vikings will have to turn to the second-most important position on their roster.

That's backup quarterback, and the same people who saw organizational genius in Fran Foley forgot to purchase one of those this offseason.

Childress most likely will try to force the position on Mike McMahon, who has a career completion percentage of 44.5, a career passer rating of 55.1, 15 touchdown passes and 21 interceptions. If that isn't scary enough, he also wore yellow rubber clogs to lunch on Tuesday.

Their other immediate options at backup quarterback are the prized rookie Jackson (great arm) and the anonymous J.T. O'Sullivan (great hair).

Jackson is raw but composed, and throws a pretty pass. Star Tribune decency policies prevent us from describing the practice efforts of McMahon and O'Sullivan.

Childress prides himself on being an offensive guru and an experienced coach. He should know that his legacy likely will be determined by the symbiotic relationship most successful coaches share with their quarterbacks.

Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr. Tom Landry, Roger Staubach. Chuck Noll, Terry Bradshaw. Don Shula, Bob Griese. Bud Grant, Fran Tarkenton. Bill Belichick, Tom Brady. Bill Walsh, Joe Montana.

Yet Childress has proceeded thusly in handling his most important position:

• He traded Culpepper for a second-round draft choice that turned into project offensive lineman Ryan Cook. This move might have looked bright if Culpepper's knee injury had sidelined him for the 2006 season. Instead, he could start the season opener.

• Childress elevated Johnson to starter but he -- or whoever makes these decisions in the Vikings front office these days -- refused to give him a raise over the $1.2 million he was making to be Culpepper's backup.

The Vikings probably spent more remodeling Winter Park than on their most important player.

• Childress -- or whoever makes these decisions for the Vikings these days -- chose Jackson with a second-round draft pick. If he's their future quarterback, that's a bargain price. If they expect him to help them this year, they're in trouble.

• Childress brought in McMahon despite having watched him play in Philly last year.

McMahon is the kind of wild-eyed scrambler who might be effective coming into a game as a sub, but he's not going to win consistently against defenses that can game-plan for him, and set up intricate blocking schemes for their interception returns.

The Vikings are trying to catch the Bears, who have Brian Griese as a backup. Of all the veteran quarterbacks in the NFC North, Griese easily has the highest career completion percentage, 63.1. That's about 20 percent higher than McMahon's.

So far what we know about Childress is that he likes full-contact practices, believes in organizational secrecy, prefers worker bees over big-name players, and emphasizes line play.

Oh, and this: He -- or whoever is making these decisions these days -- has left himself one Brad Johnson bone break away from a Les Steckel season.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Re: Jim Souhan: Vikings are bad break away from serious QB probl

"unless they avoid injury by throwing 29 interceptions and running away from contact, not that we're thinking of anyone in particular"

I was gonna write something nasty until I saw this! :grin: (I might still write something, though, still need to read the whole article)
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Jim Souhan: Vikings are bad break away from serious QB p

Is it just me or does Souhan have a habit of stating the obvious? Could we be in trouble if Brad goes down? Yep. Are there 20-some other teams that could be in trouble if their starting quarterback goes down? You betcha. Once again...this is filed under the "Duhhhh" category.

It was good for some laughs though. Especially with the cut on Favray.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

i know everyone is going to dissmiss this as another media member trying to stir the pot.

and i typically hate jim souhans opinions.

but the dudes got a point.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Hmmmmm.... some parts I didn't want to hear, but really, it's the truth. OK article.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    Is it just me or does Souhan have a habit of stating the obvious? Could we be in trouble if Brad goes down? Yep. Are there 20-some other teams that could be in trouble if their starting quarterback goes down? You betcha. Once again...this is filed under the "Duhhhh" category.

It was good for some laughs though. Especially with the cut on Favray.
    Its true that most teams have the same problem, but you think Childress and teh Vikings would know better. Last year, Childress went through the same thing when McNabb went down, leaving no real backup to play. I would have hoped he learned from his mistake, but instead he brings the same backup in. Last year the vikings were saved because they had a quality backup in Johnson. maybe they are playing the odds that thier starting qb won't get hurt two years in a row.

Anyway, the farve joke was really good though
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Well, this guy is a fu*king genius. :blah5:

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I really hope we don't need to worry about a back-up. People also need to stop worrying about Johnson's money and worry about the season. He'll get his raise.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

There is more to this than Souhan worrying about our backup QB position!
    It goes back to when Childress first accepted the job as Viking HC and he didn't bow down and kiss the media's a$$ and Souhan has been taking shots at him ever since.

Souhan get over it you lame cry baby hack!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

boognish is offline Coordinator

Souhan is a Packer-backer!
    I am a dipshit!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast