Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    DEVIKINGFAN! is offline Pro-Bowler

Jim Marshall In the HOF

I know this has probable been a subject before but I have not seen it......
    Last September a friend of mine, also a hardcore Vikes fan, traveled to Canton to see his son playing in a game held at Fawcett Stadium (West Liberty V. Walsh). Neither one of us had been to the HOF before; I must say that if you have not gone it is well worth the trip there is Viking memorabilia all over the place. Over the years the HOF committee has passed over Jim Marshall for enshrinement, WHY??? Jim was the Iron Man of the NFL ranking 3rd in seasons-20(only behind George Blanda-26, and Earl Morrall-21), 2nd in seasons with one team-19(Jackie Slater-20), 2nd in total games played-282 (George Blanda- 340), BUT MOST IMPORTANT- 1st in consecutive games played- ALSO 282 the man NEVER took a day off from the field came in the league playing and left the league the day he stopped playing- no hanging on for old time sake.
    I have followed the HOF enshrinement for several years and always hear about the wrong way run after fumble recovery as the reason, until I actually saw the display I could not believe that they would keep the man out of the Hall for one mistake But lo and behold there it was his uniform and pads next to a sign that read "The Victorious Vikings" right underneath the display you could put on head phones and listen to the announcers replaying the infamous play.....
    So my whole point in this post is how can we the 3,000 plus members of this forum get Marshall enshrined in the HOF?????

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn t thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Jim Marshall In the HOF

He's NOT in the Hall!? What the HELL!? I shall kill someone!!!

:brave: :naka: :violent1: :violent3:

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Yeah - I saw the man play. He played with heart, ferocity and guts, whether he was hurt or not (a trait of MANY a Bud Grant-coached Viking!)! If there is ANYONE who should be in the HOF, it's Marshall!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

It a shame for them to pass him over like that; truly a scar on the face of football history!

I often think of Marshall and Maris. 2 exceptional players in their era that cannot get the recognition they deserve.

Good post by the way!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Big Jim deserves to be in the Hall of Fame...all those no-names from the early days don't have crap on him...must be more of that Viking prejudice in the media again!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Viking (and Buckeye) blasphemy!!!
    :grin:

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Big Jim deserves to be in the Hall of Fame...all those no-names from the early days don't have crap on him...must be more of that Viking prejudice in the media again!!!
    There is definately some anti-purple bias around! I say we petition!

Prophet Guest

Yeah, I'm surprised that he's not in the HOF too. I guess every team thinks they get dogged and members that should be in the HOF get snubbed.

Here's the list of Vikings on the list (doesn't include people that played for the Vikes but started their careers elsewhere).

Dave Casper (2002) - 1983
    CARL ELLER (2004) - 1964-1978
    JIM FINKS (1995) - 1964-1973
    BUD GRANT (1994) - 1967-1983, 1985
    PAUL KRAUSE (1998) - 1968-1979
    Jim Langer (1987) - 1980-1981
    Hugh McElhenny (1970) - 1961-1962
    ALAN PAGE (1988) - 1967-1978
    Jan Stenerud (1991) - 1984-1985
    FRAN TARKENTON (1986) - 1961-1966, 1972-1978
    RON YARY (2001) - 1968-1981
    Link HOF

Del Rio Guest

I was listening to a thing on ESPN radio where they were talking about how people are selected to the HOF and how seriously it was taken. There was a guy who had been on the panel many many times it was very interesting.

Basically who knows why Jim is off the list. The guy said there are a lot of players who were really really good, but the years they are up for it there are some better.

The guy was amazing no doubt, his longevity was crazy, granted he declined big time in the end. But his record of 282 consecutive games is amazing and his nfl record of 29 fumble recoveries is awesome.

He played around great players, he only went to the pro-bowl twice. I don't think he will never be in the HOF.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I was listening to a thing on ESPN radio where they were talking about how people are selected to the HOF and how seriously it was taken. There was a guy who had been on the panel many many times it was very interesting.

Basically who knows why Jim is off the list. The guy said there are a lot of players who were really really good, but the years they are up for it there are some better.

The guy was amazing no doubt, his longevity was crazy, granted he declined big time in the end. But his record of 282 consecutive games is amazing and his nfl record of 29 fumble recoveries is awesome.

He played around great players, he only went to the pro-bowl twice. I don't think he will never be in the HOF.
    ??? So you think he will be there eventually? Or did you mean that you think that he will never be in (or alternately, you don't think that he will ever be in)?

I'm takin' you to school, DR!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast