Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Locke

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Culpepper_4717 View Post
    Chris Kluwe “looking forward” to Vikings’ punter competition

Chris Kluwe “looking forward” to Vikings’ punter competition | ProFootballTalk
    Thanks for the link!

1. Who looks forward to have one guy drafted to take your position and make you unemployed? I like Cluwe because he's not boring, but that's just a stupid statement.

2. Yup, Cluwe's in the coach' doghouse. That's why we are bringing punters in, not because CLuwe is a bad player.
    Late last season, after Kluwe was fined for putting a message on his jersey supporting Ray Guy’s Hall of Fame candidacy, Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer showed his irritation.

“I don’t even want to talk about that,” Priefer said, according to a transcript from the club. “Those distractions are getting old for me, to be quite honest with you. Do I think Ray Guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame Absolutely, but there’s other ways of going about doing it, in my opinion.”

In reply to a follow-up question about Kluwe, Priefer said: “He’s got to focus on punting and holding.”
    3. This is a clear statement. When you use a fifth round pick for a punter he's essentially the starter already. Look for Cluwe to be traded. We wont get much, but Cluwe is an elite punter in the NFL so there are plenty of teams that want him.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    While I'm tired of Kluwe's mediocre punting and loud opinions, he was a great holder for FGs. Can't specifically remember a single muff / fumble that was his fault. I hope this doesn't cause a sophomore slump for Walsh. Besides that it looks like Locke has a huge leg! Fully support him taking the punting job. Hope he or Cassel can match Kluwe's holding ability.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I think the fact that Locke can take over the Kick off duties is huge. No one wants Walsh out there being the last tackler on a run back and getting hurt. His job is to kick 50+ yrd field goals when needed.

WWBGD

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    I think the fact that Locke can take over the Kick off duties is huge. No one wants Walsh out there being the last tackler on a run back and getting hurt. His job is to kick 50+ yrd field goals when needed.
    I wonder how Walsh feels about that. Perhaps, kicking hard on kickoffs helps him stay loose and prepared for kicking long FGs...doesn't seem like it would be too much work to kick a few more times per game. But I do agree, we don't want our leading scorer hurt trying to tackle somebody!

I also agree that the versatility has got to be why we went so early at Punter when we already seem to have a pretty good one...other P and K did go shortly after us, so maybe its not the spot thats off so much as the need...? Other than an off punt once in a long while, I didn't think Kluwe was bad at all, and as mentioned, I don't recall any F'ups on holding for kicks either. Anybody seen a profootballfocus type breakdown on Punters and where Kluwe ranked?

I have not seen Locke play, but I did read/hear somewhere that he does have a "football build," at 6' 209 lbs, perhaps he is a better Safety/last chance tackler on STs than 5'10 190 lb Walsh? And having two guys who can kickoff through the other team's endzone isn't a bad thing at all, especially given our style of play. Intelligent too? Really, sounds like a great pick, but...

It also still seems like we had bigger fish to fry/holes to fill, and smells a bit of somebody being pushed out for being willing to share his opinion, and thats a bummer, but a very possible reality.

Locke’s versatility adds to his appeal. He is effective at kickoffs and can handle field goals if needed.

He is also one of the most intelligent players to pass through the UCLA program. Locke was a semifinalist for the National Football Foundation’s national scholar athlete awards.

Locke averged 43.3 yards a punt last season, with 34 of his 77 punts downed inside the 20-yard line.
    UCLA punter Jeff Locke taken by Vikings in fifth round of draft - latimes.com
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Yep, nice point. I'm good with this pick, and, don't discount the left foot spin angle. How many lefties are there?

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    don't discount the left foot spin angle. How many lefties are there?
    Yes, good point. Wonder how significant it is, but it's a bonus.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Getting rid of Kluwe frees up about 1.5 million in cap hit.

Here is a good sight for the Vikings 2013 salary cap situation.

Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Salary Cap Breakdown

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    That left foot Locke might just be pretty significant...different spin and angle. And, after having looked up Kluwe's numbers from last year, he did take a significant step back: 22nd of 32 punters in average punt yards, 17th in average net yards, and a low, low 31st in punts downed inside the 20, at only 18 of 72 or 25%. In comparison, likely the best year for a punter was Colquit in KC who nailed down 45 of 83, or 54%, inside the 20.

Locke is supposedly intelligent, accurate and athletic, and just might be a pretty good pick, maybe even as good as Walsh turned out to be.

SKOL VIKINGS!! NICE DRAFT!!!

2012 NFL Player Punting Stats - National Football League - ESPN

And then there's the nickname Locke'ing it Down inside the 20!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    That left foot Locke might just be pretty significant...different spin and angle. And, after having looked up Kluwe's numbers from last year, he did take a significant step back: 22nd of 32 punters in average punt yards, 17th in average net yards, and a low, low 31st in punts downed inside the 20, at only 18 of 72 or 25%. In comparison, likely the best year for a punter was Colquit in KC who nailed down 45 of 83, or 54%, inside the 20.

Locke is supposedly intelligent, accurate and athletic, and just might be a pretty good pick, maybe even as good as Walsh turned out to be.

SKOL VIKINGS!! NICE DRAFT!!!

2012 NFL Player Punting Stats - National Football League - ESPN

And then there's the nickname Locke'ing it Down inside the 20!!
    Funny, i just read one that said it was his best season for net average ( more important stat)

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Jeff Locke

Competition is good. I am all for it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast