Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Baca

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Norseman Jeff Baca

After trading down a few spots, the Vikings draft two UCLA players in a row with the selection of Jeff Baca in round 6.

Baca is a good-sized guard and after reading Baca's draft profil at NFL.com makes me think of the Vikings' success at finding good inside linemen in the draft and developing them.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    GREAT pick! 3rd round talent. Technician that's a lot stronger than people give him credit for. Can play any position on the line but I see him staying at Guard. I know this is only a 6th round guy, but Fusco should be worried.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Yes, he sounds promising. He must have good foot speed and hips to get top performer in both the cones and shuttle.

To be a lineman it helps to be strong, but you must be nasty. We will see how he pans out.

From the draft profile link
    Jeff Baca Draft Profile

Analysis......................

Strengths:
    As tenacious a blocker as there is in this draft class. Strong punch in pass pro, stuns tackles to knock them backwards and works to move the line, not just hold his ground. Quick to recognize blitzes. Re-directs blitzers out of the hole, keeps his feet moving to take them away from the play. Shows awareness in assisting teammates in pass protection. Gets after his run target, attacks with a venom. Hustles to help his tackle prevent inside rushes, at times just attacking the end without any need to. Stones twists inside. Good mobility to pull, gets around the line quickly and has the flexibility to adjust to inside defenders once through the hole. Fits on his second-level block well and engulfs the defender.

Despite missing the 2010 season due to academic difficulties, Baca's managed to register 45 career starts. 25 of those starts have come at guard, and 20 have come at tackle. He's purely a guard in the pros, and his presenting the sort of nastiness and intelligence will earn him a mid- to late-round draft selection, by a team that's willing to let him build up his functional strength.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Baca that isn't really sound like an interior lineman name to me.....its about 10-12 letters short and should end with son or ski.. and he's from California not Pennsylvania, Michigan or Wisconsin....places where coal, iron, trucks and cows come from and what this

He's smiling......and not in an evil, nasty way

and his coach said this

as head coach Rick Neuheisel said "he got over his skis"
    Lineman don't ski is just the last part of their name, they bulldoze, roadgrade, plow...well maybe snow plow?

Neuheisel....uhmm that could be a lineman name

Well I guess they could shave his head in training camp and he could grow a beard and just throw 6 or 7 extra consonance on the back of his jersey...but I guess thats why he went in the sixth round

Happy to see Baca and Bond added to the interior of the line depth and hope they get to contribute soon and for the future.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Baca that isn't really sound like an interior lineman name to me.....its about 10-12 letters short and should end with son or ski.. and he's from California not Pennsylvania, Michigan or Wisconsin....places where coal, iron, trucks and cows come from and what this

He's smiling......and not in an evil, nasty way

and his coach said this

Lineman don't ski is just the last part of their name, they bulldoze, roadgrade, plow...well maybe snow plow?

Neuheisel....uhmm that could be a lineman name

Well I guess they could shave his head in training camp and he could grow a beard and just throw 6 or 7 extra consonance on the back of his jersey...but I guess thats why he went in the sixth round

Happy to see Baca and Bond added to the interior of the line depth and hope they get to contribute soon and for the future.
    Haha that cracked me up today.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Baca is Sammy Hagar's love child.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    GREAT pick! 3rd round talent. Technician that's a lot stronger than people give him credit for. Can play any position on the line but I see him staying at Guard. I know this is only a 6th round guy, but Fusco should be worried.
    This guy isn't worrying Fusco. To light in the butt. Gonna be a back G at best, more importantly, a backup at C.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    This guy isn't worrying Fusco. To light in the butt. Gonna be a back G at best, more importantly, a backup at C.
    We will see, I think you might be making your decision from his photo. LOL!

I think the kid has upside. From the video of the combine, I like his mobility.

Not that we need to go reinvent the wheel with out Offensive Line, they almost got AD the single season record. I hope that these moves add depth a the very least.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    dad and I were discussing the later round pics, should we do A, or B.. X or Y.. i like the idea of having the depth on the Oline, and some value picks at those spots in those later rounds.

Baca seems to be a multi positional depth move, maybe even taking over a spot in a few years. he has size and mobility, and the ability to slide from G to C. for me it's a good move, even if he never starts, he seems to be a solid plug n play kid that might make the roster and help the team remain solid in OL.

though.. will they need a bigger helmet to get that mop inside?

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast