Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Jason Carter impressive

I really hope this kid makes the team!
    He's certainly been far more impressive than Childress' guy, "McMuffin".
    What a dumb trade, Chilly must have owed someone in Philadelphia a favor.

And I'd like to see him take a better number; that #11 is unpleasant right now... he can have #81)

#11 - Joe Kapp still rules though...
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

digital420 is online now Team Alumni

it seems really right to have a WR that can catch and is named Carter!!

reminds me of sooooo many good times.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

I thought I heard the name Carter last night. Shame Cris isn't there to give him some pointers like AC did for him.
    ;D
    Jason would be outstanding then!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

After watching him play in the Raiders game and now the Ravens game, I'de have to say Carter is a keeper in my book....I think he will make the team for sure....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Big C is offline Coordinator

He should easily make the roster for the 4th reciever spot. I haven't seen any other reciever outside the top 3 shine (at least in pre-season games). I read somewhere that T.J and Carter have an inside joke calling themselves the "7-11". Found that funny.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ViKing24" wrote:
    that was mean't to be a joke because Koren Robinson will probably be done for the season and alot of people think they should give the 3rd team receivers have a chance
    Well Koren got cut, but you still have Williamson who has also looked really good this preseason and Travis Taylor ahead of him. So Carter could be #3 pretty easily, but one or two is a stretch.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    I really hope this kid makes the team!
    He's certainly been far more impressive than Childress' guy, "McMuffin".

Would you like your McMuffin, with or without cheese?... ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

ForceOfNorse is offline Starter

I believe he is Anthony Carter's son #81.

Is there any truth to this? I doubt it. There was an article in the Star Trib the other day that discussed Jason Carter, but made no mention of a relationship to AC.

Hell No, He's not AC's son!!!!
    AC wouldn't be caught dead in Texas!!!
    hahahaha

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I am impressed with him as well.
    I think it's a good omen.
    Hearing touchdown Carter for the Vikings just seems to be normal.
    Between AC and CC it never gets old.
    Now we can hear, Touchdown JC!!!!!!!!!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Sun, Aug. 27, 2006

[size=13pt]OVERLOOKED NO LONGER[/size]
    If undrafted rookie receiver Jason Carter keeps making highlight-reel catches, it will be difficult to keep him off the roster.

BY MARCUS R. FULLER
    Pioneer Press

With another standout performance Friday, Vikings rookie wide receiver Jason Carter is no longer a long shot to make the team.

In the Vikings' 30-7 exhibition victory over the Baltimore Ravens at the Metrodome, Carter caught a touchdown pass for the second consecutive game from rookie Tarvaris Jackson, this time on a 77-yard catch and run down the sideline.

He finished with two catches for a team-leading 107 yards, but Carter isn't sure it was enough to solidify a spot on the Vikings' roster.

"I can't say what it's done for me to make this team, because nothing is set in stone yet," said Carter, who also made a spectacular 30-yard grab on a pass from Mike McMahon. "I feel like I'm doing the things that I should be doing."

Carter, who went undrafted this year after leading Texas A&M in receiving, will learn his fate with Minnesota in the next two weeks. He's still on the bubble, but Carter has shown his value to the Vikings, who have recently struggled to find depth at receiver and kick and punt returns.

With Carter's emergence, the Vikings might not have to look outside the organization for a receiver after cutting Koren Robinson, who was charged Aug. 16 with six criminal counts stemming from a DWI.

Carter leads Minnesota in receiving with four catches for 155 yards and two touchdowns in three games.

He hasn't been as spectacular replacing injured running back Mewelde Moore as the team's No. 1 punt returner, but Carter has done enough to impress coach Brad Childress.

Childress praised Carter in the locker room after Friday's game for being consistent on fielding his punts.

"As a rookie, that's no small feat," he said. "Right now he's doing a good job of that. He'll make us make some tough decisions when you have to declare who's up and who's down."

Vikings veteran receiver Travis Taylor believes Carter can help the team no matter where he is.

"I've seen a huge improvement in him," Taylor said. "He's taking it to another level right now. The guy is a great talent. If he didn't make it here, it's a travesty."

NFL teams might have thought Carter wouldn't make it after some scouting reports said he didn't have the breakaway speed needed as a receiver in the league. He ran a slow 4.63 seconds 40-yard dash for a receiver at the NFL combine. Former Texas A&M quarterback Reggie McNeal, trying out as a receiver with the Cincinnati Bengals, was clocked at 4.35 seconds.

But it's been obvious every time Carter takes the field for the Vikings, that he has enough ability to excel. There's also little indication that he has been playing the position for only the past three years.

"Now that's something I didn't know," Taylor said about Carter being a former quarterback at Texas A&M. "As far as receiving skills, he's got what you need."

Using his powerfully built 6-foot, 205-pound frame, Carter, who won high school and college slam dunk contests, has shaken defenders and leaped for acrobatic catches on a regular basis this summer.

He wowed the crowd in Mankato with what would have been a punt return for a touchdown in a joint practice with the Kansas City Chiefs. But his first real score came when he took a 6-yard pass from Jackson in a 17-10 victory Aug. 19 over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He finished with two catches for 48 yards .

If Carter makes the team, Vikings fans could be cheering again for No. 11 this season. Carter never asked to wear the number of former quarterback Daunte Culpepper, but he's had some fun with it.

Carter and Jackson, who wears No. 7, amused teammates when they started calling themselves "7-11" during Friday's game against Baltimore.

"When you see stuff like that where guys can enjoy it and have fun, you definitely want to cheer for them," veteran receiver Marcus Robinson said. "I would like to see (Carter) make the team. He's a young guy just out there making plays."

Marcus R. Fuller can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast