singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Jared Allen's MMA training pays off

Allen's MMA training pays off

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-08/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-allens-mma-training-pays-off

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Re: Jared Allen's MMA training pays off

Which leaves the Allen vs. Johnson battle the equivalent of the chicken or the egg.

The old mullet wearing Jared Allen was a nightmare for anyone to block. If he has truly gotten himself back in tip top shape then watch out league because he clearly regressed last season. He struggled to get around any tackle he went against it seemed.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Freakout" #1103709
    Which leaves the Allen vs. Johnson battle the equivalent of the chicken or the egg.

The old mullet wearing Jared Allen was a nightmare for anyone to block. If he has truly gotten himself back in tip top shape then watch out league because he clearly regressed last season. He struggled to get around any tackle he went against it seemed.

For the first few weeks, yes. For the second half of the season he was playing like an animal.

In the last nine games, he had 10 sacks. Not sure what more you expect. Would be nice for him to show up the first 7 games, but he was in full-on beast mode at the end of the season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103711

For the first few weeks, yes. For the second half of the season he was playing like an animal.

In the last nine games, he had 10 sacks. Not sure what more you expect. Would be nice for him to show up the first 7 games, but he was in full-on beast mode at the end of the season.
    My gripe about Jared is the way he can go 3-4 games without a sack then against a weaker opponent he may rack up 3-4 sacks in one game. I just wish his production was more consistent instead of being so hot or cold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Freakout" #1103714

My gripe about Jared is the way he can go 3-4 games without a sack then against a weaker opponent he may rack up 3-4 sacks in one game. I just wish his production was more consistent instead of being so hot or cold.
    Week 9: 2.5
    Week 10: 2
    Week 11: 1
    Week 12: 1
    Week 13: 1
    Week 14: 1
    Week 15: 0
    Week 16: 1
    Week 17: 0.5

You were saying?

During that span he also had an interception return for a TD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103715

You were saying?

Yeah but you cannot stick your head in the sand and ignore the previous weeks. They still mattered.

If he plays like he did the second half of the season all season long then I won't say a bad word about him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Freakout" #1103716
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103715

You were saying?

Yeah but you cannot stick your head in the sand and ignore the previous weeks. They still mattered.

If he plays like he did the second half of the season all season long then I won't say a bad word about him.
    I get that. I was saying for the second half of the season he was on fire almost every game. It's not like he had a crap season, or "clearly regressed last season. Struggl[ing] to get around any tackle he went against it seemed. "

That was obviously not the case. First few weeks, yes. once he got going, boy did he get going.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

This MMA training for Allen is nothing new. Not sure why it didn't pay off last year.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1103779
    This MMA training for Allen is nothing new. Not sure why it didn't pay off last year.
    Because he got married and cutoff his mullett.

purplejokr is offline Rookie

I have always liked Allen and I feel that mortgaging that one draft to pry him from Kansas City was a wise decision. With that said, I hope that he can continue his torrid pace from the final half of the season. He makes the defense that much better when he's bringing consistent heat.