Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Jared Allen and Sack Rate

[size=13pt]Jared Allen and Sack Rate[/size]

The biggest transaction this off-season may have been the Jared Allen trade from Kansas City to Minnesota. Allen led the league in sacks last year with 15.5. He'll be going to a Viking defensive line that was impenetrable against the run but featured an average pass rush. The Vikings defense was so good against the run, opponents passed nearly 70% of the time compared to a league average of about 55%. Allen's ability as a pass rusher could have a very large impact. We know the Vikings pass rush will probably improve, but by how much? And how will the improvement affect the Vikes' bottom line?

Re: Jared Allen and Sack Rate

"Garland" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Jared Allen and Sack Rate[/size]

The biggest transaction this off-season may have been the Jared Allen trade from Kansas City to Minnesota. Allen led the league in sacks last year with 15.5. He'll be going to a Viking defensive line that was impenetrable against the run but featured an average pass rush. The Vikings defense was so good against the run, opponents passed nearly 70% of the time compared to a league average of about 55%. Allen's ability as a pass rusher could have a very large impact. We know the Vikings pass rush will probably improve, but by how much? And how will the improvement affect the Vikes' bottom line?

That was very interesting thank you Garland. I don't know how many sacks Allen will get this year. I think he should get about 13 or so. I know he should comand the double team, and free up Kevin Williams too. It's going to be an interesting year on the D-line this season.

Troy Smith knows... Your Quaterback will know too.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Allen's 15.5 sacks were remarkable because he played in only 14 of 17 games last season.
    Damn there was 17 games last season?
    I hate it when I sleep through a week.

His sack rate was an amazing was 3.8%. That's as high as the entire entire Bengals' defense.
    Thats slutty

In estimating the number of added sacks Jared Allen could bring to the Vikings, we can't just add 20 to their previous total of 36. The Vikings defense already had 9.5 sacks from the right DE position last year, 5 from Ray Edwards and 4.5 from Brian Robinson. A reasonable estimate would be that Allen could add a net of 10 additional sacks, taking them from an exactly average 36 sacks to a solidly above-average 46. This assumes he performs nearly as well as last year and he remains healthy--both fairly big assumptions.
    Flawed logic and then he tries to compensate with a random number.

How bout using the players 2007 sack rate times expected # passes.
    To be conservative, on the left, Edward's 5 (12 games) should more then replace Udeze's 5 (16 games) and Foo-man-choo and Robison should get the same number of rushes as they did in 2007, on the right.
    That alone is at least 10 sack increase before considering his secondary effects on the rest of the line.

Still much better then his schizophrenic game theory article.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Mark_The_Viking is online now Asst. Coach

I'm not sure if he'll get as many this year as last but that will be evened up by the other DEs getting more than ever had before so I for one will be happy if they all get 10 each ;D
    Purple till i die

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Billy" wrote:
    Allen's 15.5 sacks were remarkable because he played in only 14 of 17 games last season.
    gol 'darnit there was 17 games last season?
    I hate it when I sleep through a week.

His sack rate was an amazing was 3.8%. That's as high as the entire entire Bengals' defense.
    Thats slutty

In estimating the number of added sacks Jared Allen could bring to the Vikings, we can't just add 20 to their previous total of 36. The Vikings defense already had 9.5 sacks from the right DE position last year, 5 from Ray Edwards and 4.5 from Brian Robinson. A reasonable estimate would be that Allen could add a net of 10 additional sacks, taking them from an exactly average 36 sacks to a solidly above-average 46. This assumes he performs nearly as well as last year and he remains healthy--both fairly big assumptions.
    Flawed logic and then he tries to compensate with a random number.

How bout using the players 2007 sack rate times expected # passes.
    To be conservative, on the left, Edward's 5 (12 games) should more then replace Udeze's 5 (16 games) and Foo-man-choo and Robison should get the same number of rushes as they did in 2007, on the right.
    That alone is at least 10 sack increase before considering his secondary effects on the rest of the line.

Still much better then his schizophrenic game theory article.
    Glad to see you and your logic a bit more active of late.

Excellent post my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Billy" wrote:
    Thats slutty
    Hahaha, nice... I'm stealing that... because it's slutty.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

my comment made to the article..

I agree with the addition of Jared many facets of the Vikes D will be on the rise. Sharpers ball hawking will raise 2-3 more pics. Even the CB's might be getting more into the Int column.

here's another avenue though.

Jared - PhatPat - Kwill -REdwards

Greenway

Leber

Ej Henderson

now that we have natural PassRush. the # of blitz's will go way way down. BUT. here's a thought. the LB crew could add another 10 sacs combined in that total. i mean that if you dbl team. Pat/Jared.. use a Rb/TE to help with kwill, you have ray coming 1v1 all the time. and.. a highway for 1 LB to just rush in..

now the dbl teams will switch around i know.. 3 ProBowl DL is a very nice thing to have. and will cause problems and headaches for OC's around the league.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"digital420" wrote:
    my comment made to the article..

I agree with the addition of Jared many facets of the Vikes D will be on the rise. Sharpers ball hawking will raise 2-3 more pics. Even the CB's might be getting more into the Int column.

here's another avenue though.

Jared - PhatPat - Kwill -REdwards

Greenway

Leber

Ej Henderson

now that we have natural PassRush. the # of blitz's will go way way down. BUT. here's a thought. the LB crew could add another 10 sacs combined in that total. i mean that if you dbl team. Pat/Jared.. use a Rb/TE to help with kwill, you have ray coming 1v1 all the time. and.. a highway for 1 LB to just rush in..

now the dbl teams will switch around i know.. 3 ProBowl DL is a very nice thing to have. and will cause problems and headaches for OC's around the league.

DiGiTaL
    I can't wait till August 8th... Im getting the shakes!!!! 28 MORE DAYS!!!!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Allen is a great addition but we should also see Robison and Edwards come into their own this year. If they become productive we could have a devastating line.