Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Jared Allen injured

"Mr" wrote:
    Didn't Eli Manning play most of last season with a similar shoulder injury?

And if it occurred before the half and he played that well in the second half, I'm not really concerned.

Maybe that's why he had to make that one-handed sack of Rosenfels in the 4th quarter! The guy is unreal.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    How does it go from a seperation to a sprain?

I think they would know right away if they had to pop that bad boy back in

I don't understand that confusion
    a separation is not a dislocation.
    I know, i've done both.

A dislocation is where the head of the humurous actually pops out of the socket and usually sits below the arm socket.
    This is the worst of the 3, since often, it is accompanied by tearing/stretching of the ligaments, and if it happens more than once often requires surgery to tighten up the shoulder.
    A separation is almost a dislocation, but the head of the humurous does not actually stay out of the socket, it may pop out, and go right back in, or it could be only partially dislocated.
    This is usually not very serious, but could have lingering effects.
    A sprain is simply pulling (sometimes tearing) some of the tendons, ligaments and muscles in the area.
    You can sometimes play through a sprain (depending on the severity)
    and it usually doesn't have any lasting effects but does need a little bit of time to heal and stop swelling.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

A dislocation is where the head of the humurous actually pops out of the socket and usually sits below the arm socket.
    This is the worst of the 3, since often, it is accompanied by tearing/stretching of the ligaments, and if it happens more than once often requires surgery to tighten up the shoulder.
    A separation is almost a dislocation, but the head of the humurous does not actually stay out of the socket, it may pop out, and go right back in, or it could be only partially dislocated.
    A sprain is simply pulling (sometimes tearing) some of the tendons, ligaments and muscles in the area.
    and it usually doesn't have any lasting effects but does need a little bit of time to heal and stop swelling.

Oh okay cool

Thanks for the clarification man

Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

Oh okay cool

Thanks for the clarification man

Dr. Purple at your service.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

That is pretty much correct. The subluxation eg. separation or partial dislocation, though not as serious as a dislocation, often stretches the joint capsule and ligaments as well as tears the labrum. This leads to an unstable joint that can repetitively sublux. In this case off season surgery may be neccesary.

The AC,acromioclavicular joint is the joint formed between the top of the shoulderblade and the collarbone. A strain of this joint is painful but doesn't affect overall shoulder stability.

The answer to how you can suffer this injury in the first half and play better in the second half, then be injured the next game isn't adrenaline. It's Lidocaine. That's what got injected into the shoulder at half time. The same thing the dentist uses before pulling a tooth or filling a cavity.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

That is pretty much correct. The subluxation eg. separation or partial dislocation, though not as serious as a dislocation, often stretches the joint capsule and ligaments as well as tears the labrum. This leads to an unstable joint that can repetitively sublux. In this case off season surgery may be neccesary.

The AC,acromioclavicular joint is the joint formed between the top of the shoulderblade and the collarbone. A strain of this joint is painful but doesn't affect overall shoulder stability.

The answer to how you can suffer this injury in the first half and play better in the second half, then be injured the next game isn't adrenaline. It's Lidocaine. That's what got injected into the shoulder at half time. The same thing the dentist uses before pulling a tooth or filling a cavity.

So they should be able to do that next game and he will be golden right?

Blog Entries

"V4L" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

it would depend on how he's feeling then.
    There's a difference between being healed and not feeling pain.
    If his shoulders bad next week, and he takes painkillers, sure he can play, but he might be doing more damage to himself by doing so.
    In cases like that we might just have to cut our losses, sit him for the game, and let him heal so he's doesn't make it worse had has to sit out 3 weeks.
    but, if he's feeling good to go, then there's no reason why not to play him.
    It all really depends on the severity of it, and if much damage was done to it.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Now they're saying it's a shoulder sprain.
    This from the Star/Tribune blog...
    Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed at his press conference that defensive end Jared Allen has an AC sprain in his right shoulder and could miss Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.
    Here's the link........

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2108&elr=KArksDyycyUtyycyUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I know, i've done both.

No, he won't be in pain, but he could further injure himself.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Allen suffers shoulder sprain [/size]

By Tim Yotter
    VikingUpdate.com

Posted Nov 3, 2008

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast