Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Did you have any passing stats. ?
    Seemed like he rarely contested a pass. He was good at clapping his hands together after the receiver he was covering caught the ball in front of him though.
    Despite his speed, he doesn't cover well. That's why he was benched.
    Sounds like he played the Minnesota 2 defense to perfection.

  2. #32
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Did you have any passing stats. ?
    Seemed like he rarely contested a pass. He was good at clapping his hands together after the receiver he was covering caught the ball in front of him though.
    Despite his speed, he doesn't cover well. That's why he was benched.
    He was a rookie, drafted with the 66th overall selection. I don't think the staff wanted to run him out there last year because he was going to have issues.

    As for stats..... Number is Robs/Second is Whinny's.

    Thrown at 73 - 90
    Reception 53 - 60
    % Caught 73 - 67
    Yads 489 - 575
    YAC 101 - 222
    Long 30 - 41
    TD 6 - 2
    INT 2 - 3
    Passes Defensed 1 - 6

    Remembering of course that Whinny was the number one Ranked CB in the league last year, mostly because of his run support, Robs numbers aren't that bad for a rookie that was kindof thrown to the wolves.

    I suspect that with the knowledge he got from those reps and some coaching, he will show a big improvement this year and that he, Cook and Xavier are going to make a nice trio.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #33
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    He was a rookie, drafted with the 66th overall selection. I don't think the staff wanted to run him out there last year because he was going to have issues.

    As for stats..... Number is Robs/Second is Whinny's.

    Thrown at 73 - 90
    Reception 53 - 60
    % Caught 73 - 67
    Yads 489 - 575
    YAC 101 - 222
    Long 30 - 41
    TD 6 - 2
    INT 2 - 3
    Passes Defensed 1 - 6

    Remembering of course that Whinny was the number one Ranked CB in the league last year, mostly because of his run support, Robs numbers aren't that bad for a rookie that was kindof thrown to the wolves.

    I suspect that with the knowledge he got from those reps and some coaching, he will show a big improvement this year and that he, Cook and Xavier are going to make a nice trio.
    I hope your right, but that's purely speculation. Fact remains is he struggled last year, moreso as the season went on.

    And the stats you presented needs to have the number of snaps each played to put them in perspective a bit better. The percent caught is the only stat that can be compared. Well that and the 6 TD's to 2. Especially since it came with less snaps.

    I really wouldn't be counting on him to be our starting nickel this year, just because he was a reasonably high draft pick doesn't mean he is solidified as a long term starter for the Vikes.

    I do expect that Robinson's play will improve this year, if not, his time with the Vikings will be short. I also think he will be primarily used as an outside corner. If he comes into his own, then Cook is the most likely casualty in years to come.

  4. #34
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I hope your right, but that's purely speculation. Fact remains is he struggled last year, moreso as the season went on.

    And the stats you presented needs to have the number of snaps each played to put them in perspective a bit better. The percent caught is the only stat that can be compared. Well that and the 6 TD's to 2. Especially since it came with less snaps.

    I really wouldn't be counting on him to be our starting nickel this year, just because he was a reasonably high draft pick doesn't mean he is solidified as a long term starter for the Vikes.

    I do expect that Robinson's play will improve this year, if not, his time with the Vikings will be short. I also think he will be primarily used as an outside corner. If he comes into his own, then Cook is the most likely casualty in years to come.
    Of course his struggles were going to increase. Teams picked out his weaknesses and exploited them.

    I'm not sure what the number of snaps has to do with it. The real number is Thrown At when you start looking at the percentages, but here ya go, Whinny had 1057 snaps, to Robs 651.

    And I think he is a perfect fit for the nickel. Loves to tackle (even for a small guy - aka Whinny), is a good tackler and can run fast enough to stay with whomever comes out.

    With a bit more (not a lot when you look at his and Whinny's stats) improvement on his coverage skills, he should do pretty good. In fact, I think he will be better than Whinny cause Whinny never really did cover well in my book.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #35
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Of course his struggles were going to increase. Teams picked out his weaknesses and exploited them.

    I'm not sure what the number of snaps has to do with it. The real number is Thrown At when you start looking at the percentages, but here ya go, Whinny had 1057 snaps, to Robs 651.

    And I think he is a perfect fit for the nickel. Loves to tackle (even for a small guy - aka Whinny), is a good tackler and can run fast enough to stay with whomever comes out.

    With a bit more (not a lot when you look at his and Whinny's stats) improvement on his coverage skills, he should do pretty good. In fact, I think he will be better than Whinny cause Whinny never really did cover well in my book.
    Using the snap counts you gave, the data can be interepreted as:

    If you project Robinson's numbers with the same number of snaps, the table would look like:

    Thrown at 120 - 90
    Reception 87 - 60
    % Caught 73 - 67
    Yads 801 - 575
    YAC 166 - 222
    Long 30 - 41
    TD 10 - 2
    INT 3 - 3
    Passes Defensed 2 - 6

    In reading up on the guy it sounds like he has never played inside. He is small which goes against him for nickel (yes, winfield was great, but he is a rare exception), his speed is better suited for outside corner. Inside corners don't need elite speed, they need to be tough and react quick.

    Robinson may be able to convert, but in my eyes, he is a project at best for now. If you see him getting a lot of reps in training camp and pre-season then you can start to judge whether he has potential. Right now though I have no reason to believe he will excel at nickel.

  6. #36
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Another guy's take on using Robinson as an inside corner.

    Minnesota Vikings still have a long road despite draft success | StarTribune.com

    2 An inside dilemma

    Antoine Winfieldís exit has coach Leslie Frazier and defensive coordinator Alan Williams searching for a new slot cornerback to excel in their defense. At first glance, it appears Rhodes and Chris Cook are the best bets to start outside. But that doesnít mean Josh Robinson will immediately be plugged in as the top slot option. Robinson, remember, worked exclusively outside during his rookie year. He hasnít had much training as an inside corner and currently lacks the feel to be a reliable difference-maker inside. Donít forget, late last year when Winfield missed time in Weeks 16 and 17 because of a hand injury, the Vikings went with Marcus Sherels over Robinson in the slot.

    Frazier and Williams still might give Robinson an extended look inside. But theyíre also wide open to other possibilities. Bobby Felder, a 2012 practice squadder, has the coaching staff intrigued. Safety Robert Blanton, a converted corner, is also making a major push for more playing time and could find his quickest opening as the fifth DB in the nickel. Another option could include sliding Cook inside in nickel packages with Robinson coming in as the second outside guy. Let the experimenting begin.

  7. #37
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Another guy's take on using Robinson as an inside corner.

    Minnesota Vikings still have a long road despite draft success | StarTribune.com
    Good stuff Tasty.

    How about this one....

    Josh Robinson - Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #38
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Remember that both of these writer's opinions came out before the signing of Lacey. The other consistent point between both articles is Bobby Felder. Both list him as an intriguing prospect at nickel (plagiarism or just the right word?).

  9. #39
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Remember that both of these writer's opinions came out before the signing of Lacey. The other consistent point between both articles is Bobby Felder. Both list him as an intriguing prospect at nickel (plagiarism or just the right word?).
    Gotcha, good point. Didn't take the timing into account.

    Damn, lets get camp rolling.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •