Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    It's a vicious cycle for sure. As well as completely unavoidable unfortunately. You acquire the talent, they become very good players, which then demands more money than is available to go around. Giving you a 2-3 year window to make a Super Bowl run. Its the ability to recover from that separates the great FO from the others. If Ponder steps up we are in our 2-3 window. If not, I believe we are young enough to get a different QB and still have a window...pushed back a couple of years, but not destroyed. It is once you get that high dollar QB, that it becomes increasingly difficult to build a complete team.
    That is what I have been trying to drive home to some on this site ever since FA and the draft. It's great to have the big name players but the only way to afford them is to sacrifice talent at other positions and while it may seem like you can play ith the cap numbers to make space it eventually comes around to get you.

I sometimes wonder in this age of the mega contract QB if it might actually be to a teams advantage to have a second level QB who can run the offense but not command the ultra salaries that the top guys are getting so you can have a more complete roster. In the NFL it seems trends are made to be broken and this might be the next bubble to pop.

When we had Denny Green as HC his offenses always seemed to be able to function no matter who they had at QB and in some ways when I think back at what he did he looks to have been ahead of his time and I wonder if he was given the proper front office how he would do as a coach today. Think of how many different guys he had starting at QB over the years and he still built a pretty darn good offense.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    I really hate writing this but, I believe Childs will be let go this year. My reason? During the NFL Combine I was watching an interview of Frazier. When asked about the progress of Childs and did he expect him to be here at the begining of the season, he said yes, but his words, voice, change of mode, and most of all I could see the writing in his eyes, Childs was not progressing and healing like they wished he would and that NO, he wouldn't be here at regular seasons start..... Just a read and gut feeling on my part. I hate it because I really thought the young man had a bright future ahead of him here. On paper and by college play, he was better than his team mate Wright, and look what he is doing.....Our loss.
    Therefore, if my gut is correct, our Log Jam just got hit by a beaver...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    I really hate writing this but, I believe Childs will be let go this year. My reason? During the NFL Combine I was watching an interview of Frazier. When asked about the progress of Childs and did he expect him to be here at the begining of the season, he said yes, but his words, voice, change of mode, and most of all I could see the writing in his eyes, Childs was not progressing and healing like they wished he would and that NO, he wouldn't be here at regular seasons start..... Just a read and gut feeling on my part. I hate it because I really thought the young man had a bright future ahead of him here. On paper and by college play, he was better than his team mate Wright, and look what he is doing.....Our loss.
    Could they not just keep Childs on the PUP? That way he doesn't kill a roster spot, allowing someone else to make the roster and prove themselves.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    I don't believe childs will be let go this year.. he'll be pup'd.. and Maybe brought in slowly.. or a plug in if we loose one of our starters or depth.

GJ, JS, Jw, CP... this seems to be our front 4, with the last 2 spots being pushed for (pretty much what everyone is saying)

include our TE's and we have a very rounded receiving group.

also as mentioned.. if AP could pull some of those bubble screens.. man o man we could have some dynomite in the passing game.

or course.. we will never be a pass first offense.. not until AP is no longer in the backfield.
    so this means that the passing game is a compliment, field opener, and caught ya sneaking in relation with the run game. so i'm not expecting Greatness.. but i do believe we have the makings for something presentable.. which is a few steps up from where we've been.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Could they not just keep Childs on the PUP? That way he doesn't kill a roster spot, allowing someone else to make the roster and prove themselves.
    I think the Vikings have to place Childs on the pup list at the beginning of taining camp before he starts practicing if its due to last years injury. Now if he were to practice and get injured again thats would be different. I think if Childs is healthy enough to take part in regular training camp and gets some preseason game time but isn't roster ready he will more likely get cut and resigned to the practice squad which he is still eligible.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    There's still hope, we've seen it happen before.

Last edited by singersp; 06-03-2013 at 06:52 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123