Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    Greg Childs is a better specimen than Jennings, but we paid jennings all that money.. now what?
    Childs is a better specimen than Jennings? Based on what?

I'm not sure how you even list Childs to finish ahead of Wright when he might not even be ready for months.

I ain’t going to put no date and say I’m going to be back midseason or the first of the season,” Childs said, via Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “There’s no sense coming back 80, 90 percent. That’s not going to really help the team out. That’s what we’re trying to do right now — just get me back on the field so I can really help the team.”

The long view is the only one for Childs right now, so the fewer arbitrary deadlines the better for a comeback effort that would beat some pretty long odds.
    No timetable on Greg Childs’ recovery from two torn patellar tendons | ProFootballTalk

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Agreed, I put his odds at about 30% to being a productive NFL receiver. Sorry sharper, potential is all he is at this point. The knees are a huge issue until proven otherwise.

A lot of the guys in our camp have great athletic measurements, but were selected late in the draft or not at all for a reason.

I would almost go out on a limb and say we have one of the most athletic rosters in the NFL. I wouldn't actually go on that limb as I gained a few pounds this winter, by I almost would.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Childs is a better specimen than Jennings? Based on what?
    Urine sample would be my guess...could be the only thing that he has been able to produce at this point

I do hope he regains his health and can be productive for the team and his own career but the odds aren't in his favor

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    No jamlog....its like a jelly donut, our receivers aways look like a yummy jamlog during ota's before the position turns into a turdburger in the 3rd week of the regular season

or is it the third quarter of week one
    LOL! haha! Wait, thats not funny! It's true!?! D'oh!!

I'm not as optimistic on Childs as even 30%...unfortunately, thats at least 2x for both knees, not good! He was worth a late 4th gamble, but its looking like a lost bet to me. Fortunately, we have good reason to PUP/IR him and sit on his rights for a while, just to make sure.

Jennings totally makes me nervous, but seems to take his job very seriously, and definitely has something to prove...specially vs. his former team! Here's hoping he can stay healthy!!!

I think Patterson will surprise, but not all surprises will be good!? Plenty potential to bust some big gains and long TDs, but also very unpolished and likely to make a few mistakes that hurt the team.

Wright has shown some nice potential for a 4th round pick, and would seem to be the ideal fit in the slot now that PH is gone, but, it is still only potential. I think you better wait and give him 2 more years before thinking about crowning him the new Percy. In fact, it seems Patterson might just be that guy as well...

Simpson is a decent no.3, if he's healthy and full speed, on the other hand, if he has any early injuries and Webb and the bevy of youth around him surprise, his spot just may be in trouble.

We did let Jenkins go, and while he wasn't the fastest guy, he was a good outside/downfield blocker with good leaps and reach for contested first downs and in the redzone, so I could definitely see us keeping a big guy like Smith who maybe lacks a bit of speed but makes up for it in size and a strong will to block to fill that role...specially if he's a Special Teamer too.

I think Webb's role is more hybrid. We need to find ways to just give him the ball and see what he can do. Maybe, run some options...perhaps, an end-around with the option to run, or pull up and fire deep while Patterson and/or Jennings run under it!?? As a 3rd QB, 6th WR, 4th RB...perhaps, he makes it on versatility and depth?

For the most part, I agree with Tasty: GJ, CP, JW, and JS likely make the team with some pretty good competition for the last spot...and even tougher to be 6th, cuz then you're up against other positions depth and special teams too! All in all? Improved, yes, potential yes, competition after our no.1, yes...Patterson, Simpson and Wright will be competing for touches too. But still far from a strength compared to the rest of the league, and the rest of our team.

On a side note...I was kinda hoping swapping Harvin for Jennings meant we were moving a bit away from the old, LOS attack, but after having looked through these guys again? I'm starting to think Patterson, Wright, and Webb might be given looks like Harvin's!?!???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post

On a side note...I was kinda hoping swapping Harvin for Jennings meant we were moving a bit away from the old, LOS attack, but after having looked through these guys again? I'm starting to think Patterson, Wright, and Webb might be given looks like Harvin's!?!???
    I suspect we will continue to feature a fair amount of the short passing game. Not just because of talent, but because of Musgrave. He seems to have a lot of fondness with this approach throughout his career.

I do think we will be a bit more vertical this year, at least attempt it, but I don't think it will be a major focus.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I suspect we will continue to feature a fair amount of the short passing game. Not just because of talent, but because of Musgrave. He seems to have a lot of fondness with this approach throughout his career.

I do think we will be a bit more vertical this year, at least attempt it, but I don't think it will be a major focus.
    I'm OK with the short game, as it does eat more clock, but we need at least the threat of a deep-ball TD to back the defense out of the box a bit and open those underneath routes up...not to mention, a bit more room for AP to work too.

We rarely get to play with a lead, but that is what our pass rushing defense is built for. Give 'em a 2 TD lead and then see what happens when the opposing offense gets a lil one dimensional and our DL gets to pin their ears back!?

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I'm OK with the short game, as it does eat more clock, but we need at least the threat of a deep-ball TD to back the defense out of the box a bit and open those underneath routes up...not to mention, a bit more room for AP to work too.

We rarely get to play with a lead, but that is what our pass rushing defense is built for. Give 'em a 2 TD lead and then see what happens when the opposing offense gets a lil one dimensional and our DL gets to pin their ears back!?

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    That says it all in my estimation. Seems simple, but the capacity to go over the top and burn them deep could pay huge dividends for the offense and defense. Special teams have been solid the last couple years, so it would seem the sky is the limit if they are capable of going over the top occasionally.
    I would like to see Ponder work on his fake handoffs in play action though. They currently fool nobody.

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Good take. I like the fact that we at least seem t be building depth at the position and have talent that has a shot at breaking out and with the exception of jennings we haven't blown the bank getting there and he wasn't that terrible of a bank breaker. We should be in pretty good shape for a few years. After that we could well be back in some fiscal trouble.
    It's a vicious cycle for sure. As well as completely unavoidable unfortunately. You acquire the talent, they become very good players, which then demands more money than is available to go around. Giving you a 2-3 year window to make a Super Bowl run. Its the ability to recover from that separates the great FO from the others. If Ponder steps up we are in our 2-3 window. If not, I believe we are young enough to get a different QB and still have a window...pushed back a couple of years, but not destroyed. It is once you get that high dollar QB, that it becomes increasingly difficult to build a complete team.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    That says it all in my estimation. Seems simple, but the capacity to go over the top and burn them deep could pay huge dividends for the offense and defense. Special teams have been solid the last couple years, so it would seem the sky is the limit if they are capable of going over the top occasionally.
    I would like to see Ponder work on his fake handoffs in play action though. They currently fool nobody.

Another thing that will help tremendously is if the relationship between ponder and Rudolph takes off because Rudolph can put a heck of a lot of pressure on the middle of the field and open up some area to exploit.

Additionally if they can actually get Peterson more active in the passing game and do some of the things harvin did last year where he is isolated out in the flat with a db or LB he can really change the look of the offense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast