Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Jamlog at Receiver?

From the weakest position we got... To our strongest position?

Remember Greg Childs? He was impressing in Training Camp and was going to start opposite Harvin..

Jerome Simpson is having a great OTA, and has his speed and jumping abilities back.

We Drafted Cordarelle Patterson who is catching on well.

Jarius Wright is still a strong weapon in the slots!

Greg Jennings is an ALL PRO Receiver.

what if Greg Childs rips it up in Training camp? What if Cordarelle does too.. and Jerome, and Greg Jennings, and Jarius Wright..

Someone wont be in the top 3 Receivers.. how do you think this will play out? My guess.

Greg Jennings
    Cordarelle Patterson
    Jerome Simpson
    Greg Childs
    Jarius Wright

Sucks though cause Greg Childs is a better specimen than Jennings, but we paid jennings all that money.. now what?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Logjam?

Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Joe Webb

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Logjam?
    No jamlog....its like a jelly donut, our receivers aways look like a yummy jamlog during ota's before the position turns into a turdburger in the 3rd week of the regular season

or is it the third quarter of week one

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I would be surprised if these four don't make the roster: Jennings, Patterson, Wright, and Simpson.

That leaves 1-2 spots with a lot of competition between Webb, Childs, Summers, Smith, Burton, Highsmith, Thiele and I'm probably missing some. I don't think Childs will be ready at the beginning of the season, so likely put on the PUP where he will be ineligible for the first 6 games I think. Webb will get a lot more looks, but I can't take him serious until at least a few pre-season games. Summers and Smith with their huge frames are intriguing (6-5 and 6-6). Burton I think has proven he's not going to make it.

I put the odds on Summers, Smith (Ponder's former target at FSU) and Webb (providing he can make other contributions outside of WR) going after the last 1 to 2 spots and then possibly replaced with Childs if he can heal and come back to form.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Good take. I like the fact that we at least seem t be building depth at the position and have talent that has a shot at breaking out and with the exception of jennings we haven't blown the bank getting there and he wasn't that terrible of a bank breaker. We should be in pretty good shape for a few years. After that we could well be back in some fiscal trouble.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Will a logjam of OTA receiver talent transform into an above average unit once the season begins, or is it just a pipe dream ?
    Jennings - Established veteran with a history of injury has missed the first OTA.....due to injury!
    Patterson - Incredible physical talent. Will he have the intelligence needed or resemble Chad Johnson ?
    Simpson - Has his speed back and spring in his jump once again in the preseason. What injury or excuse will hinder his production when the season starts ?
    Wright - Is hardly 'a strong weapon in the slots', but does show potential to be so.
    Childs - More of a long shot than Webb at this point.
    Webb - I can only imagine the ways Belichek could find to utilize his abilities. Musgrave, not so much.
    The rest - Developmental long shots.

If Jennings and Simpson remain healthy, Patterson learns the routes and gets on the same page as Ponder, Wright continues to improve, Webb has good hands and Musgrave finds creative ways to utilize his skills, Childs miraculously recovers, and one or more of the developmental receivers excels, the Vikings will have one of the best receiving corps in the league, providing their QB can deliver.

That's a lot of ifs. I'm excited to see what develops, but expect to see a little less than the upper realm of possibility. I do expect the vacuum left by Harvin will be filled nicely with this group and expect the offense will be a fair amount better.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    No jamlog....its like a jelly donut, our receivers aways look like a yummy jamlog during ota's before the position turns into a turdburger in the 3rd week of the regular season

or is it the third quarter of week one

Sadly,. I must agree. It seems that every season we get a ton of posts outlining how dynamic our WR options are looking, only to have them vanish without a trace once the season starts.

I have no doubts about Jennings...I've seen him play.

But the others...sorry. I'll hold off touting a log jam until I see someone actually produce.

Caine

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Will a logjam of OTA receiver talent transform into an above average unit once the season begins, or is it just a pipe dream ?
    Jennings - Established veteran with a history of injury has missed the first OTA.....due to injury!
    Patterson - Incredible physical talent. Will he have the intelligence needed or resemble Chad Johnson ?
    Simpson - Has his speed back and spring in his jump once again in the preseason. What injury or excuse will hinder his production when the season starts ?
    Wright - Is hardly 'a strong weapon in the slots', but does show potential to be so.
    Childs - More of a long shot than Webb at this point.
    Webb - I can only imagine the ways Belichek could find to utilize his abilities. Musgrave, not so much.
    The rest - Developmental long shots.

If Jennings and Simpson remain healthy, Patterson learns the routes and gets on the same page as Ponder, Wright continues to improve, Webb has good hands and Musgrave finds creative ways to utilize his skills, Childs miraculously recovers, and one or more of the developmental receivers excels, the Vikings will have one of the best receiving corps in the league, providing their QB can deliver.

That's a lot of ifs. I'm excited to see what develops, but expect to see a little less than the upper realm of possibility. I do expect the vacuum left by Harvin will be filled nicely with this group and expect the offense will be a fair amount better.
    That is a lot of ifs. Most likely some of those ifs will end up being true, and some will be false. I agree with you - while I don't think we will be setting any passing or receiving records this year, I do think we will be considerably better than last year, and that is exciting IMHO.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post

Remember Greg Childs? He was impressing in Training Camp and was going to start opposite Harvin..

Childs was having a good camp from the little bit we heard about him, much like Webb & Patterson are having good OTA's & he had 1 catch that was behind the back of the defender in his 7th non-walk thru practice that propelled him into a fan favorite & "Beast" status, much like Simpson's somersault TD catch.

The next day he tore both patellas & was done one week before their first preseason game. I don't recall at any time that the Vikings, who picked Childs 2 picks after Wright stated he was going to start opposite Harvin.

IMO, Childs won't make it as a starting receiver in the NFL considering his college & pro knee injuries.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-31-2013 at 08:02 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast