Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: James could Start

"thepacksux" wrote:
    He will be on our nickel package for sure, but if he excels and udeze becomes the every-down lineman that he can/should be... where do we get lance johnstone into the mix? the guy is a sack machine for only playing 20 - 25 snaps a game

Thats what I have been wondering too. Do we take our speed rusher(erasmus) off the field on passing downs, for johnstone? I wouldn't. Do we take udeze off the field on passing downs at LDE? I don't know if I like that either. I like johnstone and sure he is the best pass rusher on our team at the moment. I think both james and udeze can be legit double digit sack guys this year.

Sure, udeze and james will get tired and need breathers, so johnstone can sub for both of them and get PT.

I would actually like to see cotrell mix it up a bit and throw all 3 out there at the same time, along with kevin williams, on some passing downs. That would put our 4 best pass rushers out there and be fun to watch, even if we had 3 DE's in there. NE, under romeo liked to do weird things like that on D, mixing it up. They liked to use all LB's out there on the D-line at times.

I am sure we will find plent of ways to get johnstone out there on the field, but I do like having both udeze and james out there on passing downs, which is when we would bring johnstone in last year. That is why I figured we would take spears in the draft, instead of james. Snce spears is the bigger DE, that would give way to a pass rusher like johnstone, on passing downs.

Hey, at least we have the problem of having too much talent and trying to find enougn PT for all of the talent. This is a good problem to have.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Lance Johnstone is the best Pass Rushing lineman we have IMO. That being said I am sure he will fall into a role like Pat Williams. Only instead of stuffing the run he will be rushing the passer.

Sorry to say but Pat Williams isn't going to play every down.

The best thing IMO is by having Johnstone who is a master in technique on the team with these two younger very promising talented ends is he can teach them the ropes.

And by having him rested, he will be even more of a threat. The guy is simply amazing. He has quickness and not just with his feet. His hands and arms execute some very crisp shedding techniques.

There is no way he will sit a whole game. Johnstone is just too good.
    I agree that Johnstone is the best pass rusher we have, i remember him getting 3 sacks in one game, and I think they were all on third downs if I remember correctly. I think he finished with 11 or 12 sacks last year.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    He will be on our nickel package for sure, but if he excels and udeze becomes the every-down lineman that he can/should be... where do we get lance johnstone into the mix? the guy is a sack machine for only playing 20 - 25 snaps a game

Thats what I have been wondering too. Do we take our speed rusher(erasmus) off the field on passing downs, for johnstone? I wouldn't. Do we take udeze off the field on passing downs at LDE? I don't know if I like that either. I like johnstone and sure he is the best pass rusher on our team at the moment. I think both james and udeze can be legit double digit sack guys this year.

Sure, udeze and james will get tired and need breathers, so johnstone can sub for both of them and get PT.

I would actually like to see cotrell mix it up a bit and throw all 3 out there at the same time, along with kevin williams, on some passing downs. That would put our 4 best pass rushers out there and be fun to watch, even if we had 3 DE's in there. NE, under romeo liked to do weird things like that on D, mixing it up. They liked to use all LB's out there on the D-line at times.

I am sure we will find plent of ways to get johnstone out there on the field, but I do like having both udeze and james out there on passing downs, which is when we would bring johnstone in last year. That is why I figured we would take spears in the draft, instead of james. Snce spears is the bigger DE, that would give way to a pass rusher like johnstone, on passing downs.

Hey, at least we have the problem of having too much talent and trying to find enougn PT for all of the talent. This is a good problem to have.
    True that!!! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

this will be a problem (if you want to call it that) in the beginning but if the eraser is playing a significant amout of playing time, having this kind of depth later in the season will help when james hits the rookie wall. I would still not be surprised to see scott starting come the beginning of the season, he is stout against the run and can get to the qb.

Del Rio Guest

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Lance Johnstone is the best Pass Rushing lineman we have IMO. That being said I am sure he will fall into a role like Pat Williams. Only instead of stuffing the run he will be rushing the passer.

The best thing IMO is by having Johnstone who is a master in technique on the team with these two younger very promising talented ends is he can teach them the ropes.

And by having him rested, he will be even more of a threat. The guy is simply amazing. He has quickness and not just with his feet. His hands and arms execute some very crisp shedding techniques.

I agree that Johnstone is the best pass rusher we have, i remember him getting 3 sacks in one game, and I think they were all on third downs if I remember correctly. I think he finished with 11 or 12 sacks last year.
    When I show clips of what D-lineman are supposed to do I almost alway show him in regard to correct swim and rip moves on a pass rush. The guy knows what is up. I was trying to get him to come talk to us for a while, but that fell through.

Our HS football starts this weekend. Time to run those boys into the ground and be glad that I am old and fat and do not have to run bleachers, ropes, and other various demented drills.

I get to yell and blow a whistle.

Matt Damon!!!

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

When I show clips of what D-lineman are supposed to do I almost alway show him in regard to correct swim and rip moves on a pass rush. The guy knows what is up. I was trying to get him to come talk to us for a while, but that fell through.

Our HS football starts this weekend. Time to run those boys into the ground and be glad that I am old and fat and do not have to run bleachers, ropes, and other various demented drills.

I get to yell and blow a whistle.

Matt Damon!!!
    I didnt know you coached HS football. Thats awsome. To bad you dont live hear and you could be my coach. I cant beleive you start this weekend already. Regualar practice doesnt start hear until Aug 11. We have a week long developmental camp though in like 2 weeks.

Del Rio Guest

Had the Sophmores come in on Saturday and I showed them a few basic lifts, told them to have mom and dad buy them some cleats......there was a mini Hovan some little short fat kid with a big red mullet. He was just screaming "I am a center"

Showed them the clean and jerk, the squat, the hang snatch...all that stuff. Most kids have only ever benched so it is a shocker for them.

Best part of it all is watching the kids with the the nice cleats the detachable ones come out of the locker room and try to turn the corner on concrete......

Anyway, yeah it is fun. I am assistant coach for sophmores and juniors and d cord for seniors. And I don't know if it is a rule but our coaches have to teach something, and I teach strength development on the weekend, and some evenings.

My little brother starts Saturday kid is a beast. Going to have to try hard not to push him too hard. He is 15 and is 6'2 260lbs wears a size 16.

Sorry for the hijack just excited to actually partake in some football finally. All you men on here that play HS ball enjoy the hell out of it man. I envy you guys.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Had the Sophmores come in on Saturday and I showed them a few basic lifts, told them to have mom and dad buy them some cleats......there was a mini Hovan some little short fat kid with a big red mullet. He was just screaming "I am a center"

Showed them the clean and jerk, the squat, the hang snatch...all that stuff. Most kids have only ever benched so it is a shocker for them.

Best part of it all is watching the kids with the the nice cleats the detachable ones come out of the locker room and try to turn the corner on concrete......

Anyway, yeah it is fun. I am assistant coach for sophmores and juniors and d cord for seniors. And I don't know if it is a rule but our coaches have to teach something, and I teach strength development on the weekend, and some evenings.

My little brother starts Saturday kid is a beast. Going to have to try hard not to push him too hard. He is 15 and is 6'2 260lbs wears a size 16.

Sorry for the hijack just excited to actually partake in some football finally. All you men on here that play HS ball enjoy the hell out of it man. I envy you guys.
    Most players on our team don't lift a whole lot. After the season last year i lifted every day after school and gained 20 pounds now. I am 5'10 190, not near as big as your little brother though. I bet that kid just kills people. I got some playing time on varsity last year as a sophmore and dressed for every game. I played linebacker and runningback when we were up by a lot but is started on kickoff for varsity. I'll be starting at linebacker this year for varsity because the senior infront of me got a minor so he is out for the first like 6 games. Hopefully i can do good but i no it will be tough.

Good luck with your season Del!

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

"Del Rio" wrote:

That's ok. No problem in my book. Spencer Johnson did a great job of stepping up last year when Hovan got yanked. Pat is getting on in years and it will be nice to have someone else all ready to take the reins.

Del Rio Guest

I love pat, that fat bastage is a great addition. I like Spencer too so I agree with you. Some people think he is an every down guy, that's all. If he can be that would be great! But I like Spencer too I think he is very consitent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast