Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Jags, Vikings could soon turn to rookie QBs if struggles persist

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...uggles-persist

By Albert Breer, NFL Network

Each Tuesday, NFL Network reporter Albert Breer will share his thoughts on topics around the NFL as teams transition from the previous Sunday's game to the next encounter on the schedule. Today, he begins with whether two teams should transition to their rookie-QBs-in-waiting.

If you examine the quarterbacks drafted in the first round from 2008-10, the trend to throwing young signal-callers to the wolves early is clear.

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, and Sam Bradford all started on opening day. The two exceptions, Josh Freeman, who took the job in Tampa before his rookie year was out, and Tim Tebow, who got a taste at the end of 2010. And all that was a marked change from the three years previous, with all eight first-round quarterbacks from those drafts starting their careers with a clipboard.

In a way, that makes 2011 a throwback. Only one of this year's four first-round quarterbacks is starting.

A consequence of the lockout? Maybe. But it's also something that could change quickly.

Jacksonville and Minnesota both have veteran quarterbacks who, to put it mildly, struggled Sunday. One is anonymous and 1-1; the other famous and 0-2. Luke McCown and Donovan McNabb, respectively, certainly have reason to look over their shoulders at Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder.

The question then becomes not what's right for the old guy, but what's correct in developing the young guy whom the franchise has invested in heavily.

The answer: While conventional wisdom holds that it's best for a kid to sit, and Aaron Rodgers is certainly proof positive that it can work, there really isn't overwhelming evidence that playing early is that damaging. Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Sanchez and Bradford in fact seemed to benefit from the experience, with three of the five going to the playoffs as rookies.

Conversely, Brady Quinn sitting over a year, or JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith waiting didn't exactly fix flaws. In fact, 21 quarterbacks went in the first round from 2000-07, 19 of them sat at the start of Year 1 (Kyle Boller and David Carr being the exceptions), and seven didn't start a game as rookies. In that group, you have Rodgers and Philip Rivers. But you also have Quinn and J.P. Losman.

In the end, perhaps the most important thing is having an environment -- remember, Flacco, Ryan and Sanchez weren't asked to carry teams -- that prevents the quarterbacks from a) getting beat up too badly or b) developing bad habits because too much is being demanded of him.

For Minnesota and Jacksonville, having Adrian Peterson and Maurice Jones-Drew is a good start in taking the heat off. Same goes for the Titans with Chris Johnson, should decision time come with Jake Locker down the line (Matt Hasselbeck's been much better than McNabb or McCown thus far).

But the bottom line remains it's a matter of a rookie's readiness to handle that spotlight. What the past three years have proven is that going under it isn't necessarily a bad thing for a young quarterback.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind the Jags not starting Gabbert from week 1. At least McNabb has been a true #1 QB before, and there was (and maybe but doubtfully still is) a possibility that he could post a good few wins and performances resulting in an at least respectable season for us.

McCown had little chance from day 1.
    Australia: Where Monday Night Football is on a Tuesday

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Vikings have 'no intention' of benching McNabb

And that's precisely why Frazier wants to provide some continuity for the veteran; yanking him out of the lineup and rolling with Ponder might work OK, but it also has the potential for immediate failure.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...75988/32060650

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Charley Walters: Would an 0-3 start spur Vikings to start rooke QB Christian Ponder?

This season already appears wasted for the Vikings. Why not turn the QB job over to Ponder, ensure a high draft pick for next season and continue to rebuild?

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18928759?source=pkg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Lunacy.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    They were talking about this yesterday on Sirius and they even went into detail about when we might see Ponder (assumption on their part was week 6).

I tend to disagree. If we were going to go with him we should have just done it. When/if they run Ponder out there we will be back at square one when it comes to the QB and the WR timing.

Now all we have to worry about getting down is the deep route timing.

Only way I see Ponder on the field by week 8 is if Dnabb gets hurt. After that, the only way he comes on the field is if we are having a loosing season.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I still think there is a good chance we make the playoffs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

Only way I see Ponder on the field by week 8 is if Dnabb gets hurt. After that, the only way he comes on the field is if we are having a loosing season.
    So what you're really saying is we'll see Ponder by week 10 (game 9) or earlier, since week 9 is our bye week.

Our next 6 opponents are;

Lions
    Chiefs
    Cardinals
    Bears
    Packers
    Panthers

That should put us at about 2-6 or 3-5 at the half way mark.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    So what you're really saying is we'll see Ponder by week 10 (game 9) or earlier, since week 9 is our bye week.

Our next 6 opponents are;

Lions
    Chiefs
    Cardinals
    Bears
    Packers
    Panthers

That should put us at about 2-6 or 3-5 at the half way mark.
    I'm going out on a ledge here (actually been out there all year) but I'm gonna say we do the following:

Lions - Win. (On a side note. Watch Suh and you guys will see why I say we need help at DT)
    Chiefs - Win.
    Cardinals - Win. (They are having the same offensive problems we are having. Problem is, they have a dink/dunk QB trying to throw to a team that thrives on the deep ball.)
    Bears - Loss (Still want to call this a win. If K-dubb comes back and fixes our DT issues I will call it a win. My guess, his return won't fix our DT problem)
    Packers - Loss (Unless of course they keep having more injury issues. Seem to be mounting already)
    Panthers - Win. Teams will have figured out that all you need to do is provide your CB's help over the top and force Cam to either check down or use his RB's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

Not sure about the rest of you, but I still think there is a good chance we make the playoffs.
    Well, statistically speaking only 12% of teams make the playoffs after starting 0-2. That number drops to around 2% after starting 0-3.

I wonder how much lower it would be if you played in the same division as the previous season's Super Bowl winner, finished the previous season with 6 lowly wins and fourth place in your division, starting a new QB, and an entirely new coaching staff. Me thinks not very good at all.

I'm not very optimistic at our playoff chances right now...probably somewhere between slim and none. And I'm pretty sure I just saw Slim leave town with his head hung in shame after our last loss.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyHorns82 View Post
    Well, statistically speaking only 12% of teams make the playoffs after starting 0-2. That number drops to around 2% after starting 0-3.

I wonder how much lower it would be if you played in the same division as the previous season's Super Bowl winner, finished the previous season with 6 lowly wins and fourth place in your division, starting a new QB, and an entirely new coaching staff. Me thinks not very good at all.

I'm not very optimistic at our playoff chances right now...probably somewhere between slim and none. And I'm pretty sure I just saw Slim leave town with his head hung in shame after our last loss.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast