Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    I do not feel like listening to yet ANOTHER team strut around with multiple super bowl rings due to a vikings trade!! This *could* work out, but if Bridgewater is mediocre, and the Rams due well with the picks we gave up, how is this not another Walker/Cowboys trade???

    Please, PLEASE... for the love of GOD... NO!!!!
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  2. #12
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    THAT being said, this draft could be the most interesting for us in many years. Remember, the teams that will "absolutely draft all the worthy QBs" are also the teams that seem to make big mistakes, year after year, in the draft. Who KNOWS what they will do or pick?

    The "Post Senior Bowl" article shows just this; nothing we think right now might be relevant when draft times comes.

    I really like Manziel, because he is a firefly. YES, fireflies burn out much of the time, but some of them go big instead of going home, and THOSE guys go into the Hall of Fame. Just one time, I would like to see our team roll THOSE dice. Many of the 2nd and 3rd round "safe" QBs will still be on the board for our later picks if needed, and if Spielman and co. can take last year's magic into this year, we could get 3-4 solid hole-pluggers (take that how it is meant, and stay out of the gutter!!). If we can pick up Manziel plus 2-3 solid defensive players, the Vikings should be a force to be reckoned with.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  3. #13
    Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I do not feel like listening to yet ANOTHER team strut around with multiple super bowl rings due to a vikings trade!! This *could* work out, but if Bridgewater is mediocre, and the Rams due well with the picks we gave up, how is this not another Walker/Cowboys trade???
    Giving up two 2nd rounders, two 4ths, and a 7th is a risk to move up six spots at the top of the draft, but it doesn't even come close to Walker. If they REALLY think they have the right QB pegged, and they're positive he won't fall to 8, I hope they do it. I'd rather they do that than take whoever falls to them.

  4. #14
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is no way bridgewater is worth that many picks to move up and get. If he were in any of the past several drafts he wouldn't be better than maybe the 3rd best in the draft. Manziel might not be any better. He at least has gone head to head with the top teams in the nation and was able to go toe to toe with them but that doesn't always translate either.

  5. #15
    Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    I'm not saying I'm an expert on these guys but I was impressed with TB's accuracy and that he doesn't look at all jittery under pressure. He seems the most ready to step in, and with AP's age that's a lot of what I think about. Granted I've only looked at highlights, not the stuff that the knocks come from. I've been happy with Spielman's last couple drafts so I'm sure I'll see glass half full whatever he does.

  6. #16
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    That would be insanity. Trade that much away for an undersized QB from a smaller school and we're not even giving him a chance to succeed because of the plethora of other needs we have. We need a DT, 2 CBs, an OG, a LB and likely another DE too, not to mention a backup RB and some other depth improvements. And, the 2nd round is often full of top tier talent that is hungry to prove how they should of been firsts...HATE to give up two years of 2nds.

    I like the move back draft much better. Give a young QB a decent Defense and a great RB and give the kid a chance.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  7. #17
    purpledoom's Avatar
    purpledoom is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    297
    I would love see Manziel drafted by us, I mean love it. I also am really sick of the whole draft a qb later that is safer deal. The odds of one of them panning out are not good. All that being said, to give up several picks to move up makes me nervous as a cat in a rocking chair factory, you're mortgaging the future.

  8. #18
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledoom View Post
    I would love see Manziel drafted by us, I mean love it. I also am really sick of the whole draft a qb later that is safer deal. The odds of one of them panning out are not good. All that being said, to give up several picks to move up makes me nervous as a cat in a rocking chair factory, you're mortgaging the future.
    IF Johnny Football happens to fall to no.8, I'm all for him. He is one hell of a slippery eel when it comes to evading pressure, does seem to have the natural gift of making big plays happen and does kind of remind me of Fran Tarkenton. He is a bit undersized perhaps, but does show the superior movement necessary to avoid at least some of the big hits coming his way. And, really, at 6'3" and 195 pounds, Bridgewater is an even thinner build than Manziel.

    My point is, IF QB was the only major need we had, sure trade a bunch of picks to move up and get your guy, but the way I see it, we have so many holes that we can't afford to give up any of our early, rounds 1-3 picks unless we can move back first and stock pile a little. So, our best bet is to wait and hope that one of the top 3 QBs falls to 8, and if not, we grab a superstar defender and draft a QB or Two later.

    This is one of my favorite mock sites: NFL Draft Mock 2014 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

    Currently has us landing

    1. Blake Bortles, of the top 3 QBs, the only one with true NFL size, speed and arm.
    2. Aaron Donald, undersized DT, my bet is he goes in the first to a 3-4 team that needs a DE. I think there are better fits for our team available with this pick.
    3. Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas...I hope we can keep EG or JA, but might need depth anyway.
    3. Craig Loston, SS, LSU...tall rangy safety might make Smith more dangerous...?
    4. De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon...quick, shifty, but small (176 lbs) RB. They have Zach Mettenberger going 2 picks later, and I'd rather go that direction. Keep Cassel and draft 2 QBs and our chances of one working out well are roughly doubled!?!

    Besides, backup RBs aren't that hard to find. Zach Line might fill that role pretty well and he's already on the team.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  9. #19
    vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wausau, WI
    Posts
    221
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    IF Johnny Football happens to fall to no.8, I'm all for him. He is one hell of a slippery eel when it comes to evading pressure, does seem to have the natural gift of making big plays happen and does kind of remind me of Fran Tarkenton. He is a bit undersized perhaps, but does show the superior movement necessary to avoid at least some of the big hits coming his way. And, really, at 6'3" and 195 pounds, Bridgewater is an even thinner build than Manziel.

    My point is, IF QB was the only major need we had, sure trade a bunch of picks to move up and get your guy, but the way I see it, we have so many holes that we can't afford to give up any of our early, rounds 1-3 picks unless we can move back first and stock pile a little. So, our best bet is to wait and hope that one of the top 3 QBs falls to 8, and if not, we grab a superstar defender and draft a QB or Two later.

    This is one of my favorite mock sites: NFL Draft Mock 2014 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

    Currently has us landing

    1. Blake Bortles, of the top 3 QBs, the only one with true NFL size, speed and arm.
    2. Aaron Donald, undersized DT, my bet is he goes in the first to a 3-4 team that needs a DE. I think there are better fits for our team available with this pick.
    3. Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas...I hope we can keep EG or JA, but might need depth anyway.
    3. Craig Loston, SS, LSU...tall rangy safety might make Smith more dangerous...?
    4. De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon...quick, shifty, but small (176 lbs) RB. They have Zach Mettenberger going 2 picks later, and I'd rather go that direction. Keep Cassel and draft 2 QBs and our chances of one working out well are roughly doubled!?!

    Besides, backup RBs aren't that hard to find. Zach Line might fill that role pretty well and he's already on the team.
    I'm of the opinion that we need to draft a true blue-chip player with our first-round draft pick at #8. I don't think it's worth moving up in the draft for any player (though Clowney would be tempting if Jared Allen is on his way out). I feel that, if there are 3 QB's drafted before we pick at #8, the #8 pick should NOT be QB #4. Instead, it should be the best available defensive player to help our defense, which needs a lot of improvement.

    Then, we can take our #40 pick in the second-round, trade up into the bottom 10 to 12 picks of the first round, and draft the best available QB there. ANY of the top 3-5 QB's at that point in the draft should be far better than any QB we have on the roster today, and (in my opinion) should be the starting QB from Day 1. Remaining picks + free agency should target the weak spots in our defense, OG (upgrade from Charlie Johnson), and RB depth.

  10. #20
    Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    I just think we're in a unique situation with AP being 29 next season and to justify keeping him we need to be thinking of trying to make a deep run within two years, as out there as that may seem. I've kind of changed my tune on what I want the Vikes to do in the draft because I really don't see Cassel taking us far...playoffs MAYBE. Any more than that would take a lights out defense, better than anything in the NFL this year. If we can somehow get great, not just solid, QB play, with an average but opportunistic defense, we could get there. A few pieces and a new coaching staff can turn a defense around pretty darn quick.

    ....so the way I see it, we can't beef the defense up with rookie talent and get the RIGHT QB (not the one dictated by draft position) unless A) We're lucky and he falls to us...or B) We outfox them all and get a diamond in the rough 2nd or 3rd round. We just don't have the picks. So if it costs two 2nds, two 4ths, and a 7th to jump six spots and get the guy that can step in right away and give us a real passing attack, it's worth it. And if they don't see that guy, I guess draft the one that makes sense and hope. Either way is a risk...and we know all too well the cost of missing on a franchise QB.

    I know most disagree with me on Bridgewater being worth those picks...I just want to respond to the whole "undersized" thing. He's 6'3 and 215 or so. That's not too bad. Plus he's 21 so you got to think he'll bulk up, especially since he's aware of that criticism. And he's a pocket passer and the way they protect QB's now, I think he'll be fine. I could be wrong on the guy, but I do take some comfort knowing that Norv is probably handling the QB evaluation for the most part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •