Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Jackson preparing to lead Vikings

"Braddock" wrote:
    Did we start he "T-Jack" thing? b/c it mentions it in the article and I think I may have been one of the founding fathers of that nickname... that'd be so cool.
    DaVizzles was the first & I was the 2nd. But in all honesty, I did not see DaVizzles post. I also believe it was started here. I never saw it anywhere else prior.

A search for T-Jack turned up these as the oldest;

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:36:21 pm »

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    its Tarvaris Jackson we need to find a nickname for him

Which do you like

T-Jack(this is what im going with)
    TJ
    Tarv
    TarJack
    Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 01:09:03 am

"singersp" wrote:
    Hell, I'll just call him T-Jack or TJ.

What I'd hate to see is, is it Tarvarius or Tavarius used in the same context as is it Favre or Farve.
    "PurpleMafia" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

What I'd hate to see is, is it Tarvarius or Tavarius used in the same context as is it Favre or Farve.
    Im gonna join you in starting the T-Jack trend, I really like the sound of that. A helluva lot better than C-Pep.

Reply #50 on: May 04, 2006, 08:39:16 pm »

"Braddock" wrote:
    He talks like he knows T-Jack personally..... gonna be tough selling that one

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

It's nice to finally hear something about Tarvaris.
    Here are the quotes about him in the article for a couple reasons:

1. Many are too lazy to read the article
    2. People will be pulling stuff out of their ass and some of this is right from Tarvaris' mouth and the coaches mouth, so it's good ammo against those types

...Two days later, recalling a story that he regards as indicative of how far he has progressed in a very short period, Jackson laughed softly into the telephone.

"I was thinking, 'You know, a year ago, that would have been me they sent to throw to those guys,' and it's true," said Jackson, who started the final two games for Minnesota last season as a rookie and is the favorite to win the starting job this year. "When you're the bottom guy, those are the kinds of things you have to do. But that one thing right there, as small as it was, shows progress, right? To come from a small school like I did, not expecting to be drafted until maybe the third round or even later, it's been good. I've still got a long ways to go, and I don't ever take anything for granted … but I feel pretty good now about where I'm at."...

...His guys haven't officially become his team yet, Jackson was quick to point out, since coach Brad Childress has stopped short of anointing him the starter. There is still a chance that Bollinger, who Childress has known since the two spent time working together at the University of Wisconsin, could mount a challenge. But the consensus is that the Vikings, who released veteran Brad Johnson early in the offseason, have hitched their wagon to the man known as "T-Jack" to his teammates...

...In his two starts (both losses), Jackson completed 47 of 81 passes for 475 yards, with two touchdown passes and four interceptions. He was sacked eight times, which Minnesota coaches claim was the by-product of not trusting his instincts and trying to be too precise in his reads. None of that is out of character for a young player at the position...

"...We felt strongly about [Jackson] when we drafted him, and we still do," Childress said at the NFL meetings earlier this spring. "We think he's got starter's abilities. There is certainly talent there to build on, a nice foundation. And he's working hard to get better, doing the things he needs to do."

Beyond the couple of weeks he spent at home in Montgomery following the end of his rookie campaign, Jackson has been in the Twin Cities virtually the entire offseason, putting in time at the Vikings' complex, working on his on-field skills and on the important relationships that a quarterback must forge to be acknowledged as a leader...

..."He wants guys to like him, but even more, he understands how important it is that he earns people's respect," said wide receiver Bobby Wade, one of the Vikings' key additions in free agency this spring. "He's getting that. You can see his confidence [increasing]. He knows he can't be just the small-school guy anymore. There's more expected of him and he wants to step up to those [expectations]."...
    Go TJack!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Uhhh Ooooh,

Another Vikings QB stating that he admires QB's from other teams.
    Hope some of our short sighted fans don't read that, they will be calling for his head like they did for Thigpens when he said he admired Favreeeeee

"Yeah, there was some [disappointment]," Jackson acknowledged. "Not only was I looking forward to the vacation, but it was going to give me a chance to meet some quarterbacks that I really admire, too. That would have been nice, hanging out with those guys. But you know what? It's not all that bad being with my own guys, right here."
    These are also good examples of what professional coaches/talent evaluators think of him.
    Maybe the sky isn't falling with respect to our QB.

In his two starts (both losses), Jackson completed 47 of 81 passes for 475 yards, with two touchdown passes and four interceptions. He was sacked eight times, which Minnesota coaches claim was the by-product of not trusting his instincts and trying to be too precise in his reads. None of that is out of character for a young player at the position.
    "That last month or so, when teams started doing the individual workouts, it kind of created a little buzz around him," said former Alabama State head coach Charles Coe, who recently joined the Oakland Raiders' staff. "People saw first-hand he wasn't just some small-time talent, a guy whose numbers were inflated by the level where he played. But the Vikings, they did a good job of not letting on just how interested they were. And they got themselves a good football player and a really good person."
    Jackson has a good, live arm, and his accuracy is improving. His size is more than adequate. And he has proven correct Coe's much-repeated assessment to the NFL scouts that he is a fast learner.
    You also notice the indicator as to why the Vikes picked him when they did?
    Teams (plural) were interested in him.
    The way the draft fell, I bet he wouldn't have made it past the third round.

Ohhhhh for a "Proven"
    "Big Name" QB... :P
    Naysayers
    :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Well I am pretty sure he gonna get the starting job. I can already see it.
    MMLV
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

"Prophet" wrote:
    It's nice to finally hear something about Tarvaris.
    Here are the quotes about him in the article for a couple reasons:

1. Many are too lazy to read the article
    2. People will be pulling stuff out of their ass and some of this is right from Tarvaris' mouth and the coaches mouth, so it's good ammo against those types

...Two days later, recalling a story that he regards as indicative of how far he has progressed in a very short period, Jackson laughed softly into the telephone.

"I was thinking, 'You know, a year ago, that would have been me they sent to throw to those guys,' and it's true," said Jackson, who started the final two games for Minnesota last season as a rookie and is the favorite to win the starting job this year. "When you're the bottom guy, those are the kinds of things you have to do. But that one thing right there, as small as it was, shows progress, right? To come from a small school like I did, not expecting to be drafted until maybe the third round or even later, it's been good. I've still got a long ways to go, and I don't ever take anything for granted … but I feel pretty good now about where I'm at."...

...His guys haven't officially become his team yet, Jackson was quick to point out, since coach Brad Childress has stopped short of anointing him the starter. There is still a chance that Bollinger, who Childress has known since the two spent time working together at the University of Wisconsin, could mount a challenge. But the consensus is that the Vikings, who released veteran Brad Johnson early in the offseason, have hitched their wagon to the man known as "T-Jack" to his teammates...

...In his two starts (both losses), Jackson completed 47 of 81 passes for 475 yards, with two touchdown passes and four interceptions. He was sacked eight times, which Minnesota coaches claim was the by-product of not trusting his instincts and trying to be too precise in his reads. None of that is out of character for a young player at the position...

"...We felt strongly about [Jackson] when we drafted him, and we still do," Childress said at the NFL meetings earlier this spring. "We think he's got starter's abilities. There is certainly talent there to build on, a nice foundation. And he's working hard to get better, doing the things he needs to do."

Beyond the couple of weeks he spent at home in Montgomery following the end of his rookie campaign, Jackson has been in the Twin Cities virtually the entire offseason, putting in time at the Vikings' complex, working on his on-field skills and on the important relationships that a quarterback must forge to be acknowledged as a leader...

..."He wants guys to like him, but even more, he understands how important it is that he earns people's respect," said wide receiver Bobby Wade, one of the Vikings' key additions in free agency this spring. "He's getting that. You can see his confidence [increasing]. He knows he can't be just the small-school guy anymore. There's more expected of him and he wants to step up to those [expectations]."...
    Go TJack!

You'll want to tuck those quotes away for use later in the season. It's easy to tell T-Jack is a hard worker, always has been, fully understands what it will take to get where he is going, knows how important respect from the other players is & is humble enough to know where he is at & where he was a year ago.

Progress, not perfection is what I expect to see out of him this year. Trusting his players, instinct & quicker reads will come with more playing time.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    Did we start he "T-Jack" thing? b/c it mentions it in the article and I think I may have been one of the founding fathers of that nickname... that'd be so cool.
    DaVizzles was the first & I was the 2nd. But in all honesty, I did not see DaVizzles post. I also believe it was started here. I never saw it anywhere else prior.

A search for T-Jack turned up these as the oldest;

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:36:21 pm »

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    its Tarvaris Jackson we need to find a nickname for him

Which do you like

T-Jack(this is what im going with)
    TJ
    Tarv
    TarJack
    Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 01:09:03 am

"singersp" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Im gonna join you in starting the T-Jack trend, I really like the sound of that. A helluva lot better than C-Pep.

Reply #50 on: May 04, 2006, 08:39:16 pm »

"Braddock" wrote:
    He talks like he knows T-Jack personally..... gonna be tough selling that one
    So I was a day late... oh well. still cool though
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

MNgriff is offline Rookie

I like T-Jack a ton and this article just reinforces my belief that he will be the next star QB in Minnesota.
    A lot of people hold reservations about the kid but as long as he's not throwing 2-3 picks a game or fumbling left and right he should find easy success.

Time and time again it's all about the people that surround the guy and I think most will agree that aside from an unproven core of wideouts T-Jack will have the tools to win.
    Just look at Grossman last year and Roethlisberger the year before.

Experience is not a prerequisite for success at the QB
    position in the NFL.
    Skol

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"MNgriff" wrote:
    I like T-Jack a ton and this article just reinforces my belief that he will be the next star QB in Minnesota.
    A lot of people hold reservations about the kid but as long as he's not throwing 2-3 picks a game or fumbling left and right he should find easy success.
    Time and time again it's all about the people that surround the guy and I think most will agree that aside from an unproven core of wideouts T-Jack will have the tools to win.
    position in the NFL.
    Well said, but it does come in handy... Plus, T-Jack is way better than those two jag offs. I cannot stand Roethonelessbrainer or Gross at all. They both suck, just everyone jumped on the BigBen is great band wagon b/c no one can ever insult a Steeler, especially in the media....
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MNgriff" wrote:

position in the NFL.
    I have posted numerous reasons why I think this crop of Wideouts will be just as big of a suprise as our linebacker corps were last year.

I also have been on the "We are gonna win the Div" bandwagon for a bit.

Have confidence my purple friend.
    Our offense is gonna click next year.

Hopefully I am not eating a bunch of crow next year.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:

I have posted numerous reasons why I think this crop of Wideouts will be just as big of a suprise as our linebacker corps were last year.
    Our LB's got burned on a lot of quick, over the D-line short passes with YAC that moved the chains for out opponents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast