Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jackson #2

Prophet Guest

Re: Jackson #2

KFFL
    Vikings | T. Jackson beating out McMahon for No. 2 job?
    Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:53:53 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson appears to be beating out QB Mike McMahon for the No. 2 quarterback job. Jackson had a solid outing Saturday, Aug. 19, with the first- and second-teams while McMahon was benched midway through the fourth quarter. McMahon said of his performance, "I just wasn't comfortable out there. I probably need to relax and just trust the offense. ... It's just a thing where next time I'll have to do better. I can't worry or try to think about where I stand with [coaches] now."

McMahon said of his performance, "I just wasn't comfortable out there. I probably need to relax and just trust the offense. ...
    This dude is the veteran and he isn't comfortable out there.
    I suggest he buys a new lazyboy and watches the rest of the games from the comfort of his home.

================================================== ============
    NFC newcomer reports
    Posted: August 20, 2006
    Sporting News
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=119220

Minnesota Vikings
    QB Tarvaris Jackson, considered a raw prospect when he was drafted out of Division I-AA Alabama State, has been more polished than expected in training camp and has worked some with the second team. It has long been assumed he would enter the season as the No. 3 quarterback but Childress has not ruled out the possibility that Jackson could challenge No. 2 QB Mike McMahon. Jackson has the strongest arm in camp and has not been overwhelmed by a professional offense. His biggest problem has been anticipating blitz packages from the defense.
    ================================================== =============

Jackson impresses again
    Saturday, August 19th, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad
    http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

Brad Childress had to be very happy with what he saw from rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson in the Vikings’ 17-10 preseason victory over Pittsburgh on Saturday night. Jackson, who saw time with both the first and second team after starter Brad Johnson departed, completed 9 of 11 passes for 80 yards with a touchdown. He connected on his first four passes before throwing an incompletion. It was Jackson’s second impressive performance in as many games. He has completed 16 of 24 passes for 140 yards with one touchdown against Oakland and Pittsburgh.

As pleased as Childress might have been with Jackson’s performance, he had to be equally as concerned by what he saw from Mike McMahon. McMahon was supposed to be Johnson’s backup but was awful against the Steelers, completing only 1 of 7 passes for 42 yards with an interception in three series.

You will probably read that one reason McMahon struggled is because he was with the third team, meaning the talent around him wasn’t as good. That’s an excuse. Childress had said McMahon would finish the game after replacing Jackson but that wasn’t the case. J.T. O’Sullivan, expecting to sit out Saturday, was brought in to replace the struggling McMahon.

One would have to assume the Vikings depth chart at quarterback reads like this: Johnson, Jackson, McMahon/O’Sullivan. (Johnson, by the way, was 9-for-11 for 71 yards with a touchdown Saturday.)

Besides Jackson, the other rookie who got a golden opportunity Saturday was rookie Jason Carter. Carter had two receptions for 48 yards, including a 42-yard gain after he caught a short pass. Carter also grabbed a 5-yard touchdown pass from Jackson and returned three punts for an average of 8 yards. He did muff a punt in the second half.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

McMahon...........found wanting.

Excuses are for losers.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Prophet Guest

"Freya" wrote:
    ...Excuses are for losers.
    I'm in love.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

I was defending Mac when they first got him....I thought that he didnt have much to work with in Philly....and never really got a chance in Detroit.

I am officially on the Dump Mac bandwagon....he would have to raise his play a lot ....just to suck.
    ;D

Del Rio Guest

With the guy getting the hype he is I hope he doesn't get hurt.

I can see him getting injured and then having a whole year of people inflating his accomplishments to the point of not being practicle about the situation.

That would be just our luck.

There is no doubt however he is our #2 no one is even close to him for #2 he is doing some amazing things on the field.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

T-Jack should be the # 2 QB by performance, and I hope that Childress grades them that way.

I think the real battle will be for the 3rd QB on the team, and at this point I would rather see JT O'sullivan at 3 than McMahon.
    JT wasn't allowed to through a pass on Saturday but in the 1st preseason game besides the interception on the last play I think he played better than McMahon and he should be given a shot at the number 3 spot and McMahon should be sent away.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It is ahrd to compare JTO to McMahon based on the 1st preseason game becaus ethey were facing completely different teams.
    McMahon did look pittiful in both preseason games though, and I agree that Jackson deserves to be te number 2.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Got to agree that Jackson should be number 2. Doesa anyone think that he might get a shot at a startig defense in the pre-season to see how he copes?

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"spunk_goblin" wrote:
    Got to agree that Jackson should be number 2. Doesa anyone think that he might get a shot at a startig defense in the pre-season to see how he copes?
    His first series was against the starting defense iirc

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

Ya Jackson has looked real good the last two games. He really dealt with the pressure and managed to complete a pass right before he gets pulverized. He just seems to have a real confidence about him. The only thing I don't like about him is his first name really. Theirs nothing to dislike about. He reminds me alot of Mike Vick with the ability to throw better. Here he idolizes Donovan Mcnabb and he says he hopes do be as good as him if not half as good as him and he turns out to be twice as good of him in my opinon. I think he could manage to be starter quite easily. We sure found a diamond in the rough when we drafted him

Formerly Viking24

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast