Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Bullshit. The packers hit the jackpot with Aaron Rodgers and that is all. The Defense is terrible and if you take Rodgers out of the picture the offense is not that good. Rodgers is making that front office look good and you cannot argue with that. Sure Fabio was a good pick but it was also a no brainer. Just remember that the Pukers decided to pick A.J. Sparrow over Chad Greenway.
    Look, I'm not saying he isn't great and doesn't help the team, he surely does, but he isn't gonna put that team on his back and carry them to SB's without help.

Case in point, what happened to the 15-1 season? Same thing as last year. Teams figured out the could gash them hard on the C gap in the run and that even when the packers were ahead they still had to throw the ball which kept them from eating up the clock.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Its not about the money when it comes to who is and who isn't considered a small market team. At least for me its how does the "Owner" feel about paying and were does the "Owner" get his money source along with the options of that money source (media coverage/TV contract etc).

Greenbay is not, nor has it ever been considered a "Large Market" by anyone that I've ever discussed this with, well, other than you......

It'd be sad to see several small-market teams leave - NFL.com
    Nobody is saying GB is a "Large Market"

They have a large nationwide, and are one of the more popular teams in Canada, along with the Vikings, Bills, Seahawks(Border teams). Where I live specifically, Vikings/Packers have the largest fanbase, then the bandwagon jumpers have all th eother teams.

Green Bay has a unique advantage that nobody else does. When they need money, they sell pieces of paper that make fans feel special. When in reality, these "shares" (they're not really shares) are virtually worthless. They don't get dividends, they don't get voting rights. You can't own a majority of the team by buying up shares.

In reality, being a large market like New York, or a small market like Green Bay or Minnesota doesn't mean much anymore. With revenue sharing, nationwide availability of memorabilia, teams are on an even playing field. Where teams excel is how they are run. The Jags for example don't make much money because they're new, poorly run, and have sucked for hte better part of forever. The Packers, although small, have had a very successful run lately, as well as early on in their existance. They sell out a large stadium, and have fans all over the country. They are by definition a "small market" team, but by no means do they struggle financially to pay players more than any other team.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Nobody is saying GB is a "Large Market"

They have a large nationwide, and are one of the more popular teams in Canada, along with the Vikings, Bills, Seahawks(Border teams). Where I live specifically, Vikings/Packers have the largest fanbase, then the bandwagon jumpers have all th eother teams.

Green Bay has a unique advantage that nobody else does. When they need money, they sell pieces of paper that make fans feel special. When in reality, these "shares" (they're not really shares) are virtually worthless. They don't get dividends, they don't get voting rights. You can't own a majority of the team by buying up shares.

In reality, being a large market like New York, or a small market like Green Bay or Minnesota doesn't mean much anymore. With revenue sharing, nationwide availability of memorabilia, teams are on an even playing field. Where teams excel is how they are run. The Jags for example don't make much money because they're new, poorly run, and have sucked for hte better part of forever. The Packers, although small, have had a very successful run lately, as well as early on in their existance. They sell out a large stadium, and have fans all over the country. They are by definition a "small market" team, but by no means do they struggle financially to pay players more than any other team.
    Good point on the profit sharing. I didn't take that into account, but my point was more along the lines of how "Important" or "Valuable" a draft pick was vs dollars.

Our good friend I_bleed is the one who wants to think just solely in the realm of mega bucks....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

yep

Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I guess you could look at it as a "Cheap" solution, but if you are a small market team like the Packers who traditionally (of late) don't spend big to fix problems, but rather rely on the draft and have a coaching staff that can teach those drafted players how to play, it was a huge investment.
    Bullshit. The packers hit the jackpot with Aaron Rodgers and that is all. The Defense is terrible and if you take Rodgers out of the picture the offense is not that good. Rodgers is making that front office look good and you cannot argue with that. Sure Fabio was a good pick but it was also a no brainer. Just remember that the Pukers decided to pick A.J. Sparrow over Chad Greenway.
    Nail on the head
    None

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12