Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

JA: 'Old-school' ball makes Vikings contenders

Jared Allen: 'Old-school' ball makes Vikings contenders

Jared Allen: 'Old-school' ball makes Vikings contenders - NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Hey, its a pass first league right. Thats why the PUKERS went out and spent 2 picks on RB's this year. By the way, Bakhtiari is one hell of a run blocker. Some of the tape I watch on that guy "Sealing" the end was damn impressive.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Hey, its a pass first league right. Thats why the PUKERS went out and spent 2 picks on RB's this year. By the way, Bakhtiari is one hell of a run blocker. Some of the tape I watch on that guy "Sealing" the end was damn impressive.
    Exactly they are trusting their running game unproven rookies rather than spend a few million to bring in a veteran. They used a late 2nd and a 4th, and hope not to have to invest anymore in the running game for a few years. They basically made the absolute minimum investment into the running game.
    Meanwhile on the passing side they gave their QB 130million extension.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Exactly they are trusting their running game unproven rookies rather than spend a few million to bring in a veteran. They used a late 2nd and a 4th, and hope not to have to invest anymore in the running game for a few years. They basically made the absolute minimum investment into the running game.
    Meanwhile on the passing side they gave their QB 130million extension.
    I guess you could look at it as a "Cheap" solution, but if you are a small market team like the Packers who traditionally (of late) don't spend big to fix problems, but rather rely on the draft and have a coaching staff that can teach those drafted players how to play, it was a huge investment.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    I guess you could look at it as a "Cheap" solution, but if you are a small market team like the Packers who traditionally (of late) don't spend big to fix problems, but rather rely on the draft and have a coaching staff that can teach those drafted players how to play, it was a huge investment.
    Bullshit. The packers hit the jackpot with Aaron Rodgers and that is all. The Defense is terrible and if you take Rodgers out of the picture the offense is not that good. Rodgers is making that front office look good and you cannot argue with that. Sure Fabio was a good pick but it was also a no brainer. Just remember that the Pukers decided to pick A.J. Sparrow over Chad Greenway.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Bullshit. The packers hit the jackpot with Aaron Rodgers and that is all. The Defense is terrible and if you take Rodgers out of the picture the offense is not that good. Rodgers is making that front office look good and you cannot argue with that. Sure Fabio was a good pick but it was also a no brainer. Just remember that the Pukers decided to pick A.J. Sparrow over Chad Greenway.
    It's like The Colts with Peyton Manning. How many of those guys were actually any good(on offense,) besides Peyton? That's why I change the channel every time I see ESPN patting Bill Polian on the back when he's on set. His title should be "Former GM/Powerball Winner."

The only one of his picks who's made a lasting impact on their offense, even without Manning, is Reggie Wayne.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    LOL, saying 'small market' team as if they can't afford to pay big.

being a 'small market' hasn't affected teams ability to pay people since the 80's. Packers, while in one of the smallest towns in the NFL, have the same money as everyone else, and make considerably more money than alot of teams. They have NO issue whatsoever selling out their 70K seat stadium on a regular basis. They have a more consistent following than most teams in the league except perhaps the Steelers, Pats and Cowboys.

And no, mid-round picks aren't a 'huge' investment when it comes to RBs. Toby in the 2nd was a 'huge' investment. AP was a massive investment. A 4th round pick isn't huge. It's a cheap option, who can probably contribute. They were smart to do that over reaching early or overpaying a vet. They'll probably get the same result. By going cheap, it allows them to pay Matthews and Rodgers this year.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    It's like The Colts with Peyton Manning. How many of those guys were actually any good(on offense,) besides Peyton? That's why I change the channel every time I see ESPN patting Bill Polian on the back when he's on set. His title should be "Former GM/Powerball Winner."

The only one of his picks who's made a lasting impact on their offense, even without Manning, is Reggie Wayne.
    *cough*
    Edgerrin James
    Dallas Clark

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post

And the Patriots with Tom Brady. How brilliant would Bellichick be if he didn't have Brady?

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    LOL, saying 'small market' team as if they can't afford to pay big.

being a 'small market' hasn't affected teams ability to pay people since the 80's. Packers, while in one of the smallest towns in the NFL, have the same money as everyone else, and make considerably more money than alot of teams. They have NO issue whatsoever selling out their 70K seat stadium on a regular basis. They have a more consistent following than most teams in the league except perhaps the Steelers, Pats and Cowboys.

And no, mid-round picks aren't a 'huge' investment when it comes to RBs. Toby in the 2nd was a 'huge' investment. AP was a massive investment. A 4th round pick isn't huge. It's a cheap option, who can probably contribute. They were smart to do that over reaching early or overpaying a vet. They'll probably get the same result. By going cheap, it allows them to pay Matthews and Rodgers this year.
    Its not about the money when it comes to who is and who isn't considered a small market team. At least for me its how does the "Owner" feel about paying and were does the "Owner" get his money source along with the options of that money source (media coverage/TV contract etc).

Greenbay is not, nor has it ever been considered a "Large Market" by anyone that I've ever discussed this with, well, other than you......

It'd be sad to see several small-market teams leave - NFL.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast