Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

JA checks in at #80

The NFLN countdown of the top 100 players of 2011 aired its third installment tonight. First man up, at slot number 80, was our own Jared Allen.

Then came the review show, and the guys were up in flames about it. They all agreed that he should have been ranked MUCH higher. Jay Glazer in particular looked like he was about to blow a gasket.

Can't say that I blame him. JA is one of the best at his position, and even with a slow start in 2010, he finished strong.

The thing that really got me, though was this. Our Vikings have only three players in the top 100. OK, I can live with that as we had a poor season and still ended up with an average number of players making it. Each team should average just a hair over three guys, with 32 clubs and 100 slots available.

Packers with 7, OK, I get it, they won the big one. Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Atlanta with 5 each, OK, I can see that.

So, then... why do the Cowboys get SIX?

They had a worse season than us, with an equal record and a loss to us. And please do not give me the media hype, "America's Team" attention thing. This was voted on by the players, not fans. They are much less influenced by such things.

The other things is, with Jared coming in lowest, with only two more slots remaning to us, quite a few guys are getting snubbed. The higher two have got to be Harvin and Peterson, no question. But there are other deserving Vikings who have been left out, for the likes of McNabb, Romo and some other less deserving guys. I get the feeling that some of the players really did not understand just what it was they were supposed to be voting on.

Oh, and the fan tweets and stuff that they were airing, some of those were beyond laughable. Fans always look for the glamor positions, the skill guys who make big impact highlight film plays, and tend to ignore the less glamorous, hardworking guys like linemen. In this respect, I give the players the nod for their familiarity with their teammates and opponents. I don't really know how good a Chris Snee really is, but I'll take the guys' word for it.

Anyway, congrats to Jared Allen for making the list, but you got shafted, dude. You should be a top 40 guy, at least, IMO.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: JA checks in at #80

Where are you getting that the Vikings have 3 players in the top 100? I'm 99% sure we only have 2.

After confirmation, I'm 100% sure.
    Strib

So obviously it's Jared Allen and Brett Favre in the top 100. I thought at least AP would crack the top 100...
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm betting it's Peterson, not Favre as the other one for us.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097604
    +1

Of course it's AD. It's the top NFL players of 2011. Favre's retired (as of today, but it's not preseason yet) No way in hell was he in the top 100 players of 2010 either, not even close. Top 1,000 maybe.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097605
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097604
    +1

Of course it's AD. It's the top NFL players of 2011. Favre's retired (as of today, but it's not preseason yet) No way in hell was he in the top 100 players of 2010 either, not even close. Top 1,000 maybe.
    Agreed on Peterson. How high do you think Peterson will be on the list?
    JA probably would have been higher on the list if the middle of our line had gotten any push last year. Hopefully that lack of middle pressure doesn't repeat this year.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I caught that as I was flipping around last night. #80 is ridiculous for Allen, I have no explanation for why other players would've voted him so low.

So where are they going to put Peppers and Freeney?

If Allen is 80, those two should be 79 and 78. Allen has better numbers than both of them. But something tells me those guys, Peppers in particular, are going to be really high on this list.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Individual rankings in a team sport are always going to be a bit controversial.
    Statistics would say JA should probably be ranked higher. But maybe players think he is not as talented as his stats. Who knows?

JA is a naturally gifted athelete. Certainly one of the elite at his position.
    Put a healthy in shape KW next to him and you have half of an insanely talented D-line.
    The other half needs a little work still.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Holy hell, did people take my Favre joke seriously? Obviously it's AP. I can't tell if the replies are sarcastic or if people take it seriously. Of course it's Allen and AP. Others worth consideration IMO: Greenway, Rice, Harvin, Kevin Williams, and Winfield. A couple of these (Rice and Harvin) are on my list based solely on some of the other people that made it, such as Mcnabb. Oh and tarvaris should be on it, he's really good, I read it on here.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1097603
    Where are you getting that the Vikings have 3 players in the top 100? I'm 99% sure we only have 2.
    I must have misheard that during the broadcast, I was pretty sure they had said three.

In any case that just reinforces my case even more. We get two, Cowboys get six?

And if Percy is out as well, how the hell can anyone justify that?

This group of ten if by far teh most controversial thus far. It may get worse yet, but I kind of doubt it. There were several people from 80-71 who were significantly misplaced (IMO, and I am not alone)) in both directions.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I saw the first show, but have not had a chance to watch the 90-81 yet. The thing you have to think about when getting your panties in a bunch when someone does not make it is who you have to take out for them to make it. The last receiver on the list was TO; for Harvin to make it, at least TO has to come out. Harvin has missed too many games to be on the list. Same with Rice. Both guys are talented enough to make it, but have not been on the field enough to be considered in the top 100 players in the whole NFL.

Obviously, Peterson is going to be on the list, but how high? I think he belongs in the top 10.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast