Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I don't see how anyone can say that's highly debatable. Or even debatable. Let's break it down a little:
    2000 - pfff! Not one Pro Bowler. Best pick was maybe Chris Hovan.
    2001 - Nope. Only really good pick was Michael Bennett, but he was a first rounder.
    2002- Best was Bryant McKinnie in the first round. So no.
    2003 - Definitely best so far with Kevin Williams and E.J. Henderson.
    2004 - Back to terrible again.. and beyond. Best pick was Mewelde Moore. A 3rd down back. LOL.
    2005 - When you though it couldn't get worse the Vikings draft Troy Williamson and Erasmus James in the first round.
    2006 - Looking better. Chad Greenway being the best of the bunch.
    2007 - WELL WELL WELL... TAKE A LOOK AT THAT! Spielman's first year with the Vikings and we have the best draft so far. Adrian Peterson almost alone makes this draft the best.
    2008 - John Sullivan was a steal, but that's the only good that came out of that draft.
    2009 - Good draft. Percy Harvin was amazing WHEN he played. Loadholt has developed nicely.
    2010 - Everson Griffin looks like he can be a starter. Chris Cook too. Otherwise, meh!
    2011 - Kyle Rudolph is the best pick so far.
    2012 - One year has past and we already have one of the most elite LT's in the NFL, statistically the best kicker in the whole league (who already has broken records), a safety that could be a nominee for Defensive Rookie of the Year. A TE that has played far above his value. The fastest corner in the draft with good potential, a wide receiver who looks promising, etc.

... So explain why you do NOT think our last draft was the best? Wait a second, you thought I meant best draft OUT OF ALL NFL TEAMS? Ops... what I meant was the best draft out of the MInnesota's drafts in the last century. Haha oh well... still, Spielman has obviously done a good job so far.
    Yes. When you say "Minnesota has arguably the best draft IN THIS CENTURY" that to me implies the best out of 13 years x 32 teams. Thus my comment regarding franchise QB's that other teams have gotten in that 13 years.

However, I did get a chuckle that after you yourself stated that last year was "arguably the best " which was followed by "I don't see how anyone can say that's highly debatable. Or even debatable."

So it's arguably the best, but not debatable?
    Last edited by singersp; 04-15-2013 at 06:28 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    So Our best CB from last year is moving on, and our worse CB from last year is moving back in. Yep, I am officially bummed out again.
    Our worst CB last year was Sherels. Our worst DB's were Sherels and Raymond. Both were completely lost in coverage and were extreme liabilities.

In case you werent' paying attention, Jefferson was put ahead of Robinson on the depth chart and was listed as our #2 CB.

AJ is not the guy I want starting at corner for this team, but he is a very solid depth corner that can come in and play. And if you actually watch this guy play, you will see he has some of the best coverage of all our db's. However, he has two big weaknesses. He does not play the ball well (coachable) and he is not very aggressive in run support (probably never will be). For those of you screaming for a coverage cb, he is the closest thing we have seen in a long time. He is not however, the greatest cover2 corner.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I don't see how anyone can say that's highly debatable. Or even debatable. Let's break it down a little:
    2000 - pfff! Not one Pro Bowler. Best pick was maybe Chris Hovan.
    2001 - Nope. Only really good pick was Michael Bennett, but he was a first rounder.
    2002- Best was Bryant McKinnie in the first round. So no.
    2003 - Definitely best so far with Kevin Williams and E.J. Henderson.
    2004 - Back to terrible again.. and beyond. Best pick was Mewelde Moore. A 3rd down back. LOL.
    2005 - When you though it couldn't get worse the Vikings draft Troy Williamson and Erasmus James in the first round.
    2006 - Looking better. Chad Greenway being the best of the bunch.
    2007 - WELL WELL WELL... TAKE A LOOK AT THAT! Spielman's first year with the Vikings and we have the best draft so far. Adrian Peterson almost alone makes this draft the best.
    2008 - John Sullivan was a steal, but that's the only good that came out of that draft.
    2009 - Good draft. Percy Harvin was amazing WHEN he played. Loadholt has developed nicely.
    2010 - Everson Griffin looks like he can be a starter. Chris Cook too. Otherwise, meh!
    2011 - Kyle Rudolph is the best pick so far.
    2012 - One year has past and we already have one of the most elite LT's in the NFL, statistically the best kicker in the whole league (who already has broken records), a safety that could be a nominee for Defensive Rookie of the Year. A TE that has played far above his value. The fastest corner in the draft with good potential, a wide receiver who looks promising, etc.

... So explain why you do NOT think our last draft was the best? Wait a second, you thought I meant best draft OUT OF ALL NFL TEAMS? Ops... what I meant was the best draft out of the MInnesota's drafts in the last century. Haha oh well... still, Spielman has obviously done a good job so far.
    Too soon my friend. Too soon to talk like this. 1 yer does not a draft make.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Correct. Although you can start to form educated guesses based off that first year.

Lord knows that if the draft class was looking poor at this point people would be quick to indite Spielman. But because it is looking good at this point, people want to wait to make sure...

I would say that last year is trending towards one of the better drafts we have seen in a long time, and I think we have seen enough to say that with confidence.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Correct. Although you can start to form educated guesses based off that first year.

Lord knows that if the draft class was looking poor at this point people would be quick to indite Spielman. But because it is looking good at this point, people want to wait to make sure...

I would say that last year is trending towards one of the better drafts we have seen in a long time, and I think we have seen enough to say that with confidence.
    I would agree as well however, A lot of that has to do with draft position. While taking a player is not a certainty... Having a top 5 pick in every round should net you 2 high caliber guys and a 2 more starters. Your first should be near probowl level, 2nd potential star, 3rd starter, 4th starter caliber with some flaws.

1st - Hit target
    2nd (1st rounder) - Out performed draft spot
    3rd - Barely under performing so far
    4th - on target
    4th - on target
    4- Under performed (Childs)

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I definitely agree with you, but we can also look at it in a different way. To see our draftees make such an impact in only their first year is very impressive. Based on first-year performance. The last draft was the best.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    I would agree as well however, A lot of that has to do with draft position. While taking a player is not a certainty... Having a top 5 pick in every round should net you 2 high caliber guys and a 2 more starters. Your first should be near probowl level, 2nd potential star, 3rd starter, 4th starter caliber with some flaws.

1st - Hit target
    2nd (1st rounder) - Out performed draft spot
    3rd - Barely under performing so far
    4th - on target
    4th - on target
    4- Under performed (Childs)
    Since when did teams start getting 4 starters out of the first four rounds of every draft? I realize it happens, but if it was that easy, there would be no need for any team to delve into free agency. 4 starters and the occasional good picks in the later rounds and it would not take long to build a team. 3rd round guys are usually considered projects. 4th round you hope to get lucky, maybe taking a chance on someone. If you expect Spielman or any other GM in the NFL to draft 4 first year starters in the first four rounds you will be greatly disappointed with almost every team almost every year.
    Last edited by marshallvike; 04-15-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I definitely agree with you, but we can also look at it in a different way. To see our draftees make such an impact in only their first year is very impressive. Based on first-year performance. The last draft was the best.
    But just to be perfectly clear and avoid any confusion by other posters- You are saying it was the best VIKINGS draft and not in the whole history of the NFL correct?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Since when did teams start getting 4 starters out of the first four rounds of every draft? I realize it happens, but if it was that easy, there would be no need for any team to delve into free agency. 4 starters and the occasional good picks in the later rounds and it would not take long to build a team. 3rd round guys are usually considered projects. 4th round you hope to get lucky, maybe taking a chance on someone. If you expect Spielman or any other GM in the NFL to draft 4 first year starters in the first four rounds you will be greatly disappointed with almost every team almost every year.
    Logic will get you no where on this site. But it did get you bumped up a few columns on the PF yes man spread sheet.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    It depends on how & when you look at it.

We had 4 players who were selected out of the first four rounds of the draft that started games in their rookie seasons in 2011, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2003 & 2002.

Whether they stay starters or not remains to be seen, just like in those years. However it does look really good for Kalil, Smith & Walsh.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast