Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's sad

Del Rio Guest

It's sad

I find this incredibly telling on the character of some people around here. I remember during the off season someone talking about how Culpepper is going to be a HOF QB. I remember Tark and me disagreeing and all hell broke loose.

No big deal this is not an I told you so. I think he is a great QB all I was saying at the time was he has a lot of room to get better.

Now the thing I find so disturbing is as I went back to that thread and read what was said a lot of the people arguing with us about how great Culpepper was are now the very same people that have turned their back on him, have given up on him, and have suggested trading him, NOT ALL but some.

How incredibly sad that is.

It is one thing to have an opinion have some faith and some support and ride it to the end. You may be wrong, it may hurt you a bit that the guy you supported took a dive but it is honorable. Randy8404 he and I have gone the rounds on everything under the sun, I disagree with him, but I respect him. He doesn’t falter he has his feelings on subjects and he honors them. I have a serious admiration for that.

Of course opinions can change; of course as you gather new information you can make educated decisions for yourself. Seriously though you mean to tell me in 5 games some of you are writing off the very same guy you were so impressed with only two months ago?

Personally to me that shows an incredible lack of character. Flip flopping is bad enough. I’m not a fan of extremes either and yet some people have managed to combine the two and flip flop to the extremes of the spectrum. I don’t know how you guys do it. All I know is it is getting damn old.

I hope we win and win big soon so half these people will flip flop to the right side of the fence again.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: It's sad

I hear ya Del.. And if he starts playing well they will be all over his nuts again! It's sad..

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Fair weather...

CanuckVike is offline Starter

I agree with you exactly...let us not forget how washed up Kerry Collins was after his drinking problem and his brief loss of passion for the game had everyone telling him he was done in the NFL...never to play with another team again. Now admittedly, he is no Joe Montana, but he is still playing and still effective.

Culpepper still has great abilities and probably always will...it's knowing when to use them that is the key. I still feel our terrible coaching situation has a lot to do with his "freakier than normal" performance this year. It's just too weird that someone who has been a lot more accurate and on the ball is playing so inaccurate and off the ball the next season. And yes, he may end up getting traded if he doesn't improve, but I guarantee you, like Collins, he will come around and be good if not great again.
    8ed0c24a99f7e44be7931aa4afb7bd88

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It's totally true. It's what I refer to as a yo-yo fan.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah, I agree Del. I think that if your confidence hasn't faltered in him a little then you're being unrealistic, but all this talk about trading him is kind of bothersome and unnecessary. I don't know what to think really, I hope he snaps out of it is all I can say.

Del Rio Guest

My confidence has never faltered because to be honest I never really had any in him to begin with.

I think he can get better though and in a wierd way I think when he does pull out of this he will be a better QB for our team.

It's called learning from your mistakes.

from the St. Paul Pioneer Press:
    Culpepper to remain Vikings starter
    10/17/05

Culpepper said he isn't fazed by his astronomical interception total.

"I don't want to turn the ball over. But the thing is, if you look at my picks, half of them are tips, and I can't control if the ball gets tipped or not. I'm throwing the ball into bad coverages or nothing," he said.

"That's how it is," he added. "You might go through a stretch like that sometimes. Hopefully, I'll go through a stretch when I throw 12 or 15 touchdowns in a row without a pick."

Wiggins defended Culpepper and spread the blame around.

"It's not all on him," Wiggins said. "If he puts the ball up, sometimes you got to make a play on it, whether you make the catch or not. But you still got to make a play to keep them from making an interception."

Rookie Troy Williamson didn't adjust to an off throw from Culpepper that cornerback Charles Tillman intercepted, and veteran Travis Taylor tipped the other pass that was picked off.

Culpepper said he expected his receivers, if they couldn't make the catch, to deny a defender from hauling the ball in.

"That's what you want," he said.

Culpepper said the offensive players need to focus on doing their individual jobs.

"Not try to make mistakes. Just try to be calm, and play winning football," Culpepper said. "Not just me. Not just the linemen. Not just the backs. Not just the tight ends. Not just the receivers. Everybody."

Vikings Pro Bowl center Matt Birk said the Vikings' situation now is unlike 1999.

"In 1999, it seemed like Randall was struggling, and he kind of seemed frustrated to the point where he didn't know what else to do," Birk said. `Everybody thought (the change) needed to be made, and, even being a competitor, (Cunningham) seemed to agree."

Cunningham had eight touchdowns against nine interceptions at the time. But he had an offensive line that boasted four Pro Bowl players, a Pro Bowl running back and two Pro Bowl receivers.

"In talking about a potential quarterback change right now, Daunte is not the only one struggling," Birk said. "Don't just look at his numbers, because when you get down how we've been down on the road, you're just trying to do stuff. He's trying to make plays. But he's frustrated like the rest of us.

"It's not all on him."

Birk said no one is "untouchable."

"That wouldn't be fair to the other guys on the team," he said.

But Birk concluded that Tice should consider replacing Culpepper only if he "all of a sudden can't hit the broad side of a barn."

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Whether people like him or not he is our QB of the present and future, so get over it and root for him, win or lose!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast