Re: It's Official - Culpepper to start against Vikes

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    [quote author=Jeremy link=topic=39749.msg674665#msg674665 date=1195146421]
    Facts:
    A Minnesota Vikings QB has not passed for 300 or more yards in a game since 2005.
    The last Vikings QB to pass for 300 yards was Daunte Culpepper on September 25, 2005 against the New Orleans Saints. He completed 21/29 passes for 300 yards even and threw three touchdown passes and zero interceptions.

Sure, Jeremy, he had some good (and great) games...here are the stats for the other 6 games he played in 2005:

Week 1 - 22/33, 233 yds, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, 2 Fum, 2 FL, 24-13 loss to Tampa Bay.
    Week 2 - 21/37, 236 yds, 0 TDs, 5 INTs, 0 Fum/FL, 37-8 loss to Cincinnati.
    Week 4 - 23/34, 250 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 2 Fum, 2 FL, 30-10 loss to Atlanta.
    Week 6 - 26/48, 237 yds, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 0 Fum/FL, 28-3 loss to Chicago.
    Week 7 - 23/31, 280 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 1 Fum, 1FL, 23-20 Minnesota beats GB.
    Week 8 - 3/4, 28 yds, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 Fum/FL, 38-13 loss to Carolina; out for remainder of season.

Totals - 118/187, 1264 yds, 3 TDs, 12 INTs, 5 Fum, 5 FL, 1-5 record.

Was he a horrible QB? No. Was it all his fault? Of course not, but he fumbled way too much. And you're not going to win if your TO ratio is negative 11.
    People will still say that the departure of Moss was the biggest reason we lost all those games in 2005. I do agree, Moss was a huge loss for that year and certainly contributed to it. What some people fail to remember is how bad the offensive line was in 2005.

In 2005 we were without both David Dixon who was a great lineman in 2004. Also gone was Matt Birk who missed the season due to injury. There were a lot of bad snaps in those games with Withrow, Fowler & I believe even Goldberg being rotated around at the center position.

The starting line-up for the O-Line was changed on a weekly basis & if I recall correctly, didn't settle down until after mid-season. They tried Herrera, Fonoti & Goldberg in there, none of which could fill Dixon's shoes.

Agreed the O line was like a sieve, and I do remember a lot of chaos, especially at center like you mentioned...but I still believe losing Moss was the single most important factor in exposing Culpepper.
    It's been said many times, give a QB enough time in the pocket & he'll do great things for you. Our O-Line began declining ever since the day Stringer died & hasn't been the same since.

Amen singersp.

Cheers!
    [/quote]

Who was our running back that season, I forget.
    Was it Bennet still or was that the by committee season.
    But either way I don't think we had a good running production from the backfield that season piled on to the fact that we lost moss and had no O line.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=VikingMike link=topic=39749.msg674695#msg674695 date=1195151156]
    [quote author=Jeremy link=topic=39749.msg674665#msg674665 date=1195146421]
    Facts:
    A Minnesota Vikings QB has not passed for 300 or more yards in a game since 2005.
    The last Vikings QB to pass for 300 yards was Daunte Culpepper on September 25, 2005 against the New Orleans Saints. He completed 21/29 passes for 300 yards even and threw three touchdown passes and zero interceptions.

Sure, Jeremy, he had some good (and great) games...here are the stats for the other 6 games he played in 2005:

Week 8 - 3/4, 28 yds, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 Fum/FL, 38-13 loss to Carolina; out for remainder of season.

Was he a horrible QB? No. Was it all his fault? Of course not, but he fumbled way too much. And you're not going to win if your TO ratio is negative 11.
    People will still say that the departure of Moss was the biggest reason we lost all those games in 2005. I do agree, Moss was a huge loss for that year and certainly contributed to it. What some people fail to remember is how bad the offensive line was in 2005.

In 2005 we were without both David Dixon who was a great lineman in 2004. Also gone was Matt Birk who missed the season due to injury. There were a lot of bad snaps in those games with Withrow, Fowler & I believe even Goldberg being rotated around at the center position.

The starting line-up for the O-Line was changed on a weekly basis & if I recall correctly, didn't settle down until after mid-season. They tried Herrera, Fonoti & Goldberg in there, none of which could fill Dixon's shoes.

Agreed the O line was like a sieve, and I do remember a lot of chaos, especially at center like you mentioned...but I still believe losing Moss was the single most important factor in exposing Culpepper.
    It's been said many times, give a QB enough time in the pocket & he'll do great things for you. Our O-Line began declining ever since the day Stringer died & hasn't been the same since.

Amen singersp.

Cheers!
    [/quote]

Who was our running back that season, I forget.
    Was it Bennet still or was that the by committee season.
    But either way I don't think we had a good running production from the backfield that season piled on to the fact that we lost moss and had no O line.
    [/quote]

The Whizzinator was suspended at that point, so Michael Bennett carried part of the load and that was the year Moore saw a lot of carries.

The best line we ever had was back in our championship run of '98. Jeff Christy, Randall McDaniel, Korey Stringer, Dave Dixon....that was a great group of guys. Then Christy and McDaniel went to the Bucs, Stringer passed away and Dixon retired. We lost some great players and a very cohesive unit in the span of about 2-3 years. Singer is right about the impact of Stringer's death too....that was a sad day.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    Now that is a great post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    The best line we ever had was back in our championship run of '98. Jeff Christy, Randall McDaniel, Korey Stringer, Dave Dixon....that was a great group of guys.
    *cough*

The lines of the 70s, anchored by Hall-of-Famer Ron Yary, should be Hall-of-Famer Mick Tinglehoff and Prophet's favorite player, Ed White, would object to that characterization.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    Facts:
    You are correct.
    It was NO.

I thought they beat Atlanta.
    No, Atlanta scored TDs on their 1st 2 drives, Dunn ran for 126 yds and we didn't score a TD until 5:24 left in the game.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=14pt]JaMarcus Russell Could see action Sunday![/size]
    http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/
    There is growing speculation that JaMarcus Russell could see his first action Sunday in Minnesota, but no hard evidence that the rookie will at some point give starter Daunte Culpepper a break in the Metrdome against the Vikings.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Frostbite is offline Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    [b][size=14pt]JaMarcus Russell Could see action Sunday![/size][/b]http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/
    There is growing speculation that JaMarcus Russell could see his first action Sunday in Minnesota, but no hard evidence that the rookie will at some point give starter Daunte Culpepper a break in the Metrdome against the Vikings.

Oakland Tribune says JaMarcus Russell is expected to play on Sunday along with Culpepper???? So looks like Raiders are trying to disguise who the starter will be until game time.???

If I was the Raiders Head Coach I would start D.C. but It would be fun to pit JaMarcus against T.Jack and see which one has a better game??

I think we win this game at home 21-17....and Chester Taylor has a great game. JMHO.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It makes sense for the Raiders to play up the Culpepper angle to bring in interest, but with the Vikings being one of the worst pass defenses in the league.if there is going to be a game this year to bring in the rookie, this is going to be the one. I can certainly see them bringing him in if either Culpepper struggles or in the second half.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

They are already planning on CP throwing a couple int's and a fumble so they can pull him.
    ;D

Sucks to be Culpepper.

WWBGD

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    [size=14pt]JaMarcus Russell Could see action Sunday![/size]
    http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/
    Consider that speculation out the window.................

[size=13pt]Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin picks Andrew Walter, not JaMarcus Russell, as backup QB against Minnesota Vikings[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 11/17/2007 12:34:02 AM CST

Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin announced Friday that Andrew Walter, not No. 1 draft choice JaMarcus Russell, would be the No. 2 quarterback behind Daunte Culpepper for Sunday's game against the Vikings.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast