Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

Its offical: I'm not a fan of Wilf

The whole Daunte Culpepper thing put me over the edge with Wilf and the guys he hired... things I don't agree with that he did:

1. Firing Tice. I know this is a lost cause, trying to persaude people's mind with this one. however, I feel that Tice's last 9 games were a great job coaching. Remember, Tice and McCombs later agreed that Tice wasn't ready for a head coching job when he was hired. Then, he had to deal with a very undermanged team, with very little help from his cordinators. When he was given more help (about the same amount of help most coaches get) from Fazio, and the other guy (forget name right now), the Vikings played much better. Tice had one thing very important-- the belief of his players

2. Hiring Childress. I think Childress is a good coach, but doesn't fit the team. it would have been a good hire if we were rebuilding, but we were a game out of the playoff last year, and should not be rebuilding. He doesn't fit the team becuase he brings with him the west coast offense. I don't think we have the players for the west coast offense/ its not our strength. Culpepper doesn't fit the offense, and he is our most talented offensive player. It seems they signed Childress to build an offense around 37 year old qb Brad Johnson. Does this make any sense? I know Culpepper is hurt, but he still has a better chance of getting us to more superbowls in the next five years. ( i doubt Johnson won't be playing in even 3 years). Defensivly, Wilf probably knew (or should have found out) that Childress would bring in Timlim, and the Tampa 2. We would have to change alot of players on defense to be sucessful with the Tampa 2. We don't have linebackers, we don't have the pass rush (the pass rush makes teh tampa two, and we don't have guys that consitently get to the qb). So now we have to draft/sign playes to fit into this defense. In conclusion, Childress wasnt a good hire because his systems don't fit the team taht we have now. it was Wilf (or Wilf's workers) taht signed Childress.

3. Signing of Fran Foley. Wilf messed up on trying to get hacket, but instead his over aggression scared the Eagles into locking up hacket to a multi year contract. so than he brings in Foley, who I THINK (note this is purely my beliefs) doesnt like culpepper, our star player. And thus wants to trade away our star player. I also don't agree with his moves in free agentcy...

4. Free Agents. Alot of this is based on rumors and speculation, but this is all we have to base Foley on. SO FAR, he has failed to resign free agent Koren Robinson, and made a very risky move in giving burilison a very low contract. IF we lose both these players our options are Randle El, and David Givens. I would rather have both K Rob and Bulison than Randel el or Givens. Another rumor is the signing of Ben Leber. I don't disagree with signing him, but the contract size is just idoitic, i think. He has only shown that he has potental. I havent heard many/ reliable sources reporting the Vikings are agressivly going after players like James, Wetherspoon, and others. As I said before, it hard to base Wilf, and his hirings on Free Agency, but from the rumors, I'm not impressed.

5. Dealing with Daunte Culpepper. It can be debated if the team lied to Culpepper about them shopping him or not. But they never made a true effort at making Culpepper feel they want him. I like that they didn't give into his contract hopes, but now they are giving into him wanting to be traded. Its looking like he will get his wish. This will set a president. Now, if a player doesn't like his contract and wants out, he knows that he could get his wish. This whole situation looks bad for the team too. now, a free agent may not want to come to use because we had some problems with our players.

I know most people won't agree with me, but this is waht i think. I hope you just consider it, and keep it in mind.
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Re: Its offical: I'm not a fan of Wilf

I'm undecided......I really hate this Daunte stuff though I really do , I have my hackles up

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

A lot of that is speculation and things that may never be able to get proven. Plus Pep didn't really make himself look good to the new guys in charge. A pay raise after a bad bad year? Sounds like something fishy was going on with Pep himself and not that organization. You have your right to your own view and im not shooting you down, but realize these guys know a lot more about football than me and you both ever will I'm sure, (I'm not calling you dumb) but it's a business and I would have no clue how to run it. I'm waiting to make my judgements about this staff till after FA and how we play next season.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Daunte never made it clear that he wanted to be in minnesota until AFTER the public found out about his rediculous demands..for everything that is said about how wilf handled culpeppers situation, there is something daunte has done to deteriorate the situation as well..fact of the matter is, daunte doesnt want to be here..dauntes idea of not being wanted is the vikings not giving him an extra 10 mil..you always listen to offers for players, no matter who they are..the timberwolves were listening to offers for kevin garnett all year long..that doesnt mean a guy is being "shopped"..if somebody calls and makes a good offer to you, you listen, that doesnt mean you intend to make that trade..people need to realize there is a fine line between shopping somebody, and listening to offers..shopping somebody is making offers to other teams because you do not want that player..listening to offers is simply picking up the phone to possibly consider proposed deals..when you are listening to offers, you are not going out of your way to get rid of the guy, you intend on him being there, unless you get a great offer that cant be refused..i dont think wilf did anything wrong at all..as far as we all know, there are no reports that we made offers to other teams, just reports of their offers to us..if your idea of handling a situation the wrong way is by declining a players non deserved request for a free unearned 10 million dollars coming straight off of a potential career ending injury, then you need to rethink how you would react in zygi's situation..you cant tell me that you would refuse to answer your phone when teams are making offers for that obnoxious player that will be unhappy as long as you arent paying him the money he wants
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

hey why dont we bring back red? come on, you arent a fan of wilf..lets have red come back and move the team to san antonio! awesome idea!..if you do not support a guy that is spending millions and millions of dollars out of his own pocket to keep this team in minnesota forever, then you should not be a vikings fan..i suppose you hate the fact that he said "we are going to spend the money necessary to win"..we dont have Krob signed because he is asking for rediculous money..we will get burleson signed long term..its hard ball, you have to realize that not everyone gets signed instantly..you have to look at market value and so on..besides, we can match any offers for either of those 2 guys
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Prophet Guest

I'm still undecided, since I don't have much to judge him with yet. But here are a few reasons that I'm optimistic about the future.

But the reasons I like him so far are:

1. He fired Tice.

2. He hired a coach with a lot of potential (jury is still out on him though)

3. He spends money and is devoted to creating a winning franchise that has character.

4. Free Agents. It hasn't even started yet, I am confident they will do a great job in this area.

5. Culpepper. Let the spineless self-absorbed walk.

"Prophet" wrote:
    I'm still undecided, since I don't have much to judge him with yet. But here are a few reasons that I'm optimistic about the future.

But the reasons I like him so far are:

1. He fired Tice.

2. He hired a coach with a lot of potential (jury is still out on him though)

3. He spends money and is devoted to creating a winning franchise that has character.

4. Free Agents. It hasn't even started yet, I am confident they will do a great job in this area.

5. Culpepper. Let the spineless self-absorbed walk.
    great point..i just cant figure out why so many people seem to object to having a class organization..i guess they just preferred the way red used to run things

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

I know this sux right now but I think we ALL need to just chill and wait over the next few weeks and see how "he" "they" whatever attacks the fa market only time will tell
    do remember though:
    - we still have a team (minnesota)
    - trying to get a new stadium
    - willing to spend money (we will see)
    - not leaking our strategy all over (frustarating to us fans --but do we want the other 31 teams knowing what we are doing)

wyorob is offline Starter

Wilf has not even moved into his new house yet..Let the welcome commity do there thing and lets see what unfolds. To come down on wilf this early is just weird?

Thanks PurplePeopleEaters for the sig AWSOME!!

Del Rio Guest

Tice wasn't fired he just wasn't rehired.

Childress hasn't even had an opportunity to coach a game yet, how can you judge him, how does he not fit the team.

He is going to spend.

He is going to get a stadium made.

Culpepper wants out, not much you can do about it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast