Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: It's Been a long time, I shouldn't of left you :)

"Webby" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=47786.msg834880#msg834880 date=1221221382]
    [quote author=MediaLoca link=topic=47786.msg834853#msg834853 date=1221201212]
    lol, you don't understand how much i was explaining to my co-workers HOW bad the playcalling was.
    So - you have some great insight into the actual plays that were called - the blocking schemes, the adjustments made at the line of scrimmage as well as the opposing defenses that were called?

Could you run down a few of those series in the first half, giving us the actual play-call (with the correct vernacular), as well as the line calls that Birk made when seeing the defensive line setup?
    That would be awesome!

I've been waiting for someone with actual knowledge of what play was called to enlighten us all with their brilliance.
    Correct vernacular? Come on. And if someone told you that the play called was "Red 47 Far Donkey Whore" would that mean anything to you?

He did a decent job of explaining the basic set up of what was happening on both sides of the ball, offered what he thought would remedy the situation, and pointed out that the remedy worked.

We are not coaches; we are fans, obviously. No one on this board will ever be able to explain every call and line adjustment made (I doubt many coaches could), but does that mean that we are not allowed to break down the things that we can see and understand (at least to a degree)?

In this case, MediaLoca called for a very specific formation, one that I think everyone can understand. He is a proponent of this formation and argued in favor of using it more until defenses make adjustments to it. What the floop is wrong with that?
    I have no problems breaking down what we (as fans) can see.

I have huge problems with people saying "the playcalling sucked!" because not one of us knows what play was called, what defense was called and what line-of-scrimmage adjustments were made.
    And because of that, guess what, they could be right too.

I don't need to know how pooh is made to know it stinks.
    Then say that.

"From what I saw, the Vikings were in a 4-WR set, with 1 RB and called a draw.
    Against the Packers Dime coverage (6 CBs, 1 LB and 4 DL-men), that draw was a great call."

Or:

"We could see that the Vikings had their base defense on the field.
    Now, I'm not sure if they were in tight man-to-man or zone coverage, but the pressure from the blitzing LBs was picked up and Rodgers was able to find a hole in the coverage and complete the pass to the TE."

Rather than:

"Man, that play-call sucked.
    The coaches suck.
    They all suck.
    They all should be fired.
    Yadda, yadda, yadda."

=Z=
    [/quote]

I didn't realize the entire membership needed to form their statements around the Zeus book of right.

Folks who make generalizations DO NOT generally get into the longer, deeper discussions to the nitty gritty.
    This is a place that ALL PEOPLE can feel comfortable expressing their emotions, frustrations, and elation.

Those who engage in technical discussions have lots of opportunity to do so here.

Shall we create a forum that says, "Only folks with knowledge of specifics of football mechanics, who are then obviously the most worthy of fans, can post here."?

There is room for all modes of discussion, and there is no gatekeeper on the correct formatting of assertions.
    [/quote]

Haha its true

Some people just dont like to sit and deeply explain how they feel

If someone calls you out though and asks why do you think that, I think they need to explain

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    ...Some people just dont like to sit and deeply explain how they feel

If someone calls you out though and asks why do you think that, I think they need to explain

Man law.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Webby" wrote:
    (And ultra that is fine, but how you address those pieces is a part of the issue.
    Asking someone to give reasons why the say something is one thing, tagging off on them is another.
    Not everyone is a long time member and knows how things roll around here.)
    I realize that and you know it.

I just did not address that in my post.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"MediaLoca" wrote:
    there were two posts that had to do with this thread

ha! jk i get what your saying z but my complaining derives from the lack of adjustments.. I mean we were successful with a certain formation why drop it? i mean it seemed like as soon as we go to the red zone they went conservative again. I DON'T know the intricacies of the play calling but i DO know that the pressure TJ and the coverage on AP had to do with them playing MAN coverage on the outside. That's why, in my perspective, we were successful with the 3-4 receiver formations it simply forced greenbay into running an EXTRA CB (Good for AP) or move the linebacker over to the slot.

I hear you, mate. Sorry to have been a part of the thread hijack.

With regard to your points, I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying about putting in three or four wideouts, but remember that we had Hicks and Johnson playing left tackle. Plus Cook on the right side trying to hold down Kampman. Such situations require some extra help from blocking tight ends if Tarvaris is going to have any time to throw a pass. That's the main problem I would see with using extra wideouts.

MediaLoca is offline Rookie

"The dropper" thanks for the reply and YES you are right but i think that's exactly why we witnessed tarvaris with so much running room in the 3-4 WR formation if the d-line pushed down on the pocket tarvaris (Although he didn't step up) he adjusted to the rush...i rather see him move around against d-line men then his performance against a line backer coming off the edge. Or a linebacker blitzing with only two receivers to throw it to. Did you see how he made GB PAY when they blitzed the linebacker off of the edge on that 4 receiver set i think rice caught one for a first down AND some!

It's like playing basketball. Your Taking the ball down the court only to have one of your teammates stand RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. i mean this gives the opportunity for that defender to make a play. Maybe strip the ball or apply pressure.

So yes were helping by bringing a TE to block BUT it's the reason WHY those linebackers can play so close to the line and are available to play as a Free defender. IMO.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Alot of the focus has been placed on the play calling or T-Jack.
    My disappointment falls on the Defense.
    Lets face it, T-Jack is in there to manage the game, not try to come from behind.
    The fact that the defense gave up over 100yds rushing, over 300 total yds, no sacks, no turnovers and the special teams giving up a TD all spells doom.
    Take away the return and we are looking at a different outcome.
    Grab some turnovers or place Rogers in a third and long and we are looking at a different outcome.
    This teams bread and butter is controling the clock on O and shutting teams down on D.
    Considering this was the first game, the D will come.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345