Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Interview With Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrove

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099738
    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1099733
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1099727
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099685
    Quote Originally Posted by "SpaceMTN69" #1099665
    I foresee many 2 TE sets in the future for these Minnesota Vikings. Having (2) quality pass catchers at the TE position, I believe, is going to make the transition to the pro game much easier for Ponder and this offense. While Shiancoe will definitely start Day 1, it wouldn't shock me in the elast bit if as the season rares on that Rudolph sees more and more time. I love the matchup problems the big 6'6 TE from Notre Dame will cause.

Aside from the passing game, does anyone else tend to notice that Adrian Peterson is a much more effective runner when he doesn't have a FB leading the way for him? Oh and heres to a new era of offense where teams wont be able to assume run when MIN trots out (2) TE's. Everytime a defense seen Dugan and Kleinsasser take the field, they stacked the box.
    Some yutz (Marrdro) has actually tried to point that out several times. Heck, he's even gone so far as to wonder why they even carry a "FB" on the roster as its almost a dead position.

Interesting study is to look at FB's and were they are drafted in the last 3 - 5 years.
    You bang that drum quite a bit. I haven't seen a lot of disagreement but I do have a comment.

Peterson takes a quick look to see if there is a hole where he is supposed to run then goes elsewhere frequently. He's not patient enough to follow his blocks.
    In addition, Tahi isn't a great blocking fullback like Richardson was.

If Peterson followed his blockers better as Bienemy was trying to teach him, the fullback would play a bigger role in the Vikings running game.
    Good points. If the FB is not doing his job properly (ala Tahi), he is more of a hindrance than a help. And AP does have a tendency to act first, think later. Uber confidence in his ability can be a hindrance at times.

Some teams actually do significantly benefit by having a quality FB on the field. Whether it is a dying position or not, don't know, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.
    I posted a youtube the other day for Bleed based on one of his questions. Very few of AD's long runs (outside the redzone) had a FB in front of him.

Again, he doesn't like one in front of him regardless of what people think about T-rich and those comments.
    Once again you are only looking at the topic skin deep when the real answer lies below the surface.

The fullback in football is like the body blow in boxing. They are rarely responsible for the K.O but the do the hard work that wears down the opponent and sets them up for the K.O.

Having an experienced fullback who know who to isolate and hit in order to soften them up and expose them later in the game for a big run is what separates TRich from guys like Tahi.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1099842
    I foresee many 2 TE sets in the future for these Minnesota Vikings. Having (2) quality pass catchers at the TE position, I believe, is going to make the transition to the pro game much easier for Ponder and this offense. While Shiancoe will definitely start Day 1, it wouldn't shock me in the elast bit if as the season rares on that Rudolph sees more and more time. I love the matchup problems the big 6'6 TE from Notre Dame will cause.

Aside from the passing game, does anyone else tend to notice that Adrian Peterson is a much more effective runner when he doesn't have a FB leading the way for him? Oh and heres to a new era of offense where teams wont be able to assume run when MIN trots out (2) TE's. Everytime a defense seen Dugan and Kleinsasser take the field, they stacked the box.
    Some yutz (Marrdro) has actually tried to point that out several times. Heck, he's even gone so far as to wonder why they even carry a "FB" on the roster as its almost a dead position.

Interesting study is to look at FB's and were they are drafted in the last 3 - 5 years.
    You bang that drum quite a bit. I haven't seen a lot of disagreement but I do have a comment.

Peterson takes a quick look to see if there is a hole where he is supposed to run then goes elsewhere frequently. He's not patient enough to follow his blocks.

If Peterson followed his blockers better as Bienemy was trying to teach him, the fullback would play a bigger role in the Vikings running game.
    Good points. If the FB is not doing his job properly (ala Tahi), he is more of a hindrance than a help. And AP does have a tendency to act first, think later. Uber confidence in his ability can be a hindrance at times.

Some teams actually do significantly benefit by having a quality FB on the field. Whether it is a dying position or not, don't know, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.
    I posted a youtube the other day for Bleed based on one of his questions. Very few of AD's long runs (outside the redzone) had a FB in front of him.

Again, he doesn't like one in front of him regardless of what people think about T-rich and those comments.
    Once again you are only looking at the topic skin deep when the real answer lies below the surface.

The fullback in football is like the body blow in boxing. They are rarely responsible for the K.O but the do the hard work that wears down the opponent and sets them up for the K.O.

Having an experienced fullback who know who to isolate and hit in order to soften them up and expose them later in the game for a big run is what separates TRich from guys like Tahi.

Well put.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

But the body blow only works if it is used.

On a side note, T-rich wasn't known for his blocking skills, although he was good at them. T-rich was known for his effectiveness as a weapon.

Those numbers slipped as a Viking and as a Jet. Mostly cause the boxer didn't use the body blow very much.
    Body Blows
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099843

Well put.
    We just need to keep teaching our old friend about the subtle intricacies of the game that don't show up in Madden or the sports talk shows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099845

On a side note, T-rich wasn't known for his blocking skills, although he was good at them. T-rich was known for his effectiveness as a weapon.

Those numbers slipped as a Viking and as a Jet. Mostly cause the boxer didn't use the body blow very much.
    Body Blows
    Those are rushing stats goofball. :silly: I was talking about blocking. Oh well, I will have to work a bit harder in tandem with Bleed on getting you up to speed on fullbacks and their role as blockers.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1099848

Body Blows
    Those are rushing stats goofball. :silly: I was talking about blocking. Oh well, I will have to work a bit harder in tandem with Bleed on getting you up to speed on fullbacks and their role as blockers.
    Of course they are rushing stats. Directly related to my reply to you....

Maybe you should stay away from Bleed a bit. Seems he is rubbing off on you. :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Body Blows
    Counter punch:
    http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RichTo00-1.php
    2010 Game Summaries

Week 10 - Normally just a blocker (if you can call one of the best blocking full backs of all time 'just a blocker'), Richardson was targeted twice in this game and made both catches. It was clear in both cases that Richardson was a last ditch target for QB Mark Sanchez.

Week 11 - Richardson's chief duties were, as always, blocking for Sanchez and leading the way for Tomlinson and Greene. He also took a handoff from Brad Smith and gained a few yards up the middle, but it was an unusual play you won't see much.

Week 16 - Richardson had some success running vs blocking on Sunday, and was able to gain first downs on both of his carries. He also had a nice run after the catch at the end of the first half for seven yards. The bulk of his duties were, as always, blocking, but he showed he still had something left carrying the ball as well.

Week 17 - Richardson, like many of the vets, had a light day, popping in and out of the game, but giving more snaps to rookie John Conner. Richardson did his usual solid job blocking on pass downs and did fine running the ball as well. Conner, at this point, is a better and more effective ball carrier then Richardson, but Richardson is still the better fullback overall and will be key in any playoff run the Jets manage to make.
    Volley 2:
    http://fans.kcchiefs.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?as=118586&w=25 2128&d=513620&ac=new
    You’re a fool if you say T-Rich is washed up, you need to read some stats and watch some games before you start judging on age. He made Adrian Peterson and Thomas Jones' stats so much better by becoming the starting FB. Peterson started 9 games in 2007 with 12 TD's and 5.6 average compared to when Richardson left, Peterson's stats went down to 10 TD's with a 4.8 yard average starting all 16 games. Before Richardson showed up in NY Jones had 1 TD, a 3.6 yard average, 310 attempts and 1,119 yards. Then when Richardson showed up in 2008 Jones got 13 TD's, a 4.5 yard average, 290 rushes for 1,312 yards and you know what Jones did this season all with Tony leading the way. He played in all 32 games for the two seasons he played with the Jets and 14 of the 16 in 07' when he was with the Vikings. He has no injury problems so I have no idea where you all figured that. There is NOTHING wrong with bringing Tony Richardson into KC.
    Number 3:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/sports/football/14richardson.html?pagewanted=all
    Dick Vermeil, his coach in Kansas City, said Richardson carved holes from anticipation, from knowing not only where defenders were going, but also the precise moment they would arrive. He crunched linebackers instead of numbers, yet still found what he had sought in accounting: a definitive answer for each assignment.

Adrian Peterson, a running back Richardson blocked for on the Vikings last season, says sometimes he catches a Jets game on TV, turns to teammates and says, “You miss that, huh?”

Richardson always gave Peterson the same advice: it’s all about longevity. Still, Richardson never felt secure in the N.F.L. He was the first running back since Bo Jackson to start at Auburn as a freshman, but he was not drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1099852

Body Blows
    Counter punch:
    http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/RichTo00-1.php
    2010 Game Summaries

Week 10 - Normally just a blocker (if you can call one of the best blocking full backs of all time 'just a blocker'), Richardson was targeted twice in this game and made both catches. It was clear in both cases that Richardson was a last ditch target for QB Mark Sanchez.

Week 11 - Richardson's chief duties were, as always, blocking for Sanchez and leading the way for Tomlinson and Greene. He also took a handoff from Brad Smith and gained a few yards up the middle, but it was an unusual play you won't see much.

Week 16 - Richardson had some success running vs blocking on Sunday, and was able to gain first downs on both of his carries. He also had a nice run after the catch at the end of the first half for seven yards. The bulk of his duties were, as always, blocking, but he showed he still had something left carrying the ball as well.

Week 17 - Richardson, like many of the vets, had a light day, popping in and out of the game, but giving more snaps to rookie John Conner. Richardson did his usual solid job blocking on pass downs and did fine running the ball as well. Conner, at this point, is a better and more effective ball carrier then Richardson, but Richardson is still the better fullback overall and will be key in any playoff run the Jets manage to make.
    Volley 2:
    http://fans.kcchiefs.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?as=118586&w=25 2128&d=513620&ac=new
    You’re a fool if you say T-Rich is washed up, you need to read some stats and watch some games before you start judging on age. He made Adrian Peterson and Thomas Jones' stats so much better by becoming the starting FB. Peterson started 9 games in 2007 with 12 TD's and 5.6 average compared to when Richardson left, Peterson's stats went down to 10 TD's with a 4.8 yard average starting all 16 games. Before Richardson showed up in NY Jones had 1 TD, a 3.6 yard average, 310 attempts and 1,119 yards. Then when Richardson showed up in 2008 Jones got 13 TD's, a 4.5 yard average, 290 rushes for 1,312 yards and you know what Jones did this season all with Tony leading the way. He played in all 32 games for the two seasons he played with the Jets and 14 of the 16 in 07' when he was with the Vikings. He has no injury problems so I have no idea where you all figured that. There is NOTHING wrong with bringing Tony Richardson into KC.
    Number 3:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/sports/football/14richardson.html?pagewanted=all
    Dick Vermeil, his coach in Kansas City, said Richardson carved holes from anticipation, from knowing not only where defenders were going, but also the precise moment they would arrive. He crunched linebackers instead of numbers, yet still found what he had sought in accounting: a definitive answer for each assignment.

Adrian Peterson, a running back Richardson blocked for on the Vikings last season, says sometimes he catches a Jets game on TV, turns to teammates and says, “You miss that, huh?”

Richardson always gave Peterson the same advice: it’s all about longevity. Still, Richardson never felt secure in the N.F.L. He was the first running back since Bo Jackson to start at Auburn as a freshman, but he was not drafted.
    Good stuff. Still doesn't dispute that in KC he was used as a weapon and isn't anymore.

As to the blocking comments. Nothing in there disputes that he wasn't known for his offensive skills other than some sports hacks comments.

Richardson, like many of the vets, had a light day, popping in and out of the game, but giving more snaps to rookie John Conner
    I did a game breakdown of T-rich, mostly cause of all the love for him on here.

I think, if memory serves, he was in on only 1/3 of the offensive plays.

Blog Entries

Body Blows
    What is this.... I don't even....

*Mind explodes*

Did you ignore the entire 90's and 2000s?

Richardson had exactly 3 seasons where he was used really as a weapon.
    1999: 84 rush, 387 yards, 24 rec, 141 yards
    2000: 147 rush 697 yards, 58 rec 468 yards
    2001: 56 rush, 191 ayrds, 30 rec, 265

Those were his highest totals ever for rushing and receiving in a season, and both happened early on in his career.

He was known as just an extraordinary fullback. A ferocious blocker, who is also capable of catching and running. We didn't use him much as a receiver in Minny, but when we did, he was fairly effective.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099854
    Good stuff. Still doesn't dispute that in KC he was used as a weapon and isn't anymore.
    :huh:

He was used as a "weapon" for exactly 3 seasons. (you can argue maybe 4)

He has a total of 24 combined touchdowns, with 14 of those coming over that span of 3 seasons.

The rest of the time he was used to block, and to throw to maybe 10-15 times a season at most.

He was always a blocker, who can be used as a reliable outlet underneath. He was never mainly a runner/receiving type FB like guys like Hester or Weaver are.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast