Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Interview With Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrove

OC Bill Musgrave: Well, our language is based more on the Ron Erhardt system. Of the three different systems that have withstood the test of time in the NFL, you could count Don Coryell's number system, of course Paul Brown and Bill Walsh's West Coast offense system, and Ron Erhardt's system, which has been run for years, with the Pittsburgh Steelers, now with Coach (Ken) Whisenhunt in Arizona, of course it's being run in Atlanta with Mike Mularkey, and portions of it are being implemented in New England, and with the Giants. So our offense will be rooted in that base language.
    DN: What kind of blocking scheme do you plan on using, the zone scheme or more of a hat on hat philosophy?

Musgrave: We'll employ both. We want to be an offense that's difficult to defend, so we don't want to paint ourselves into a corner in any way.
    The Daily Norseman Exclusive Interview With Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrove

Both the ZB scheme and the traditional "man on man/Hat on Hat". Hmmmmmm, always said our issue is switching between the two when the QB audibles at the line.

Gonna be interesting to see if that gets fixed.

For those of you who don't know about the Ron Erhardt system. Its better known as theh Erhardt - Perkins system.

Variant of the WCO in that they Run to set up the pass, RB's aren't always used as recievers, but more in the line of blockers in the passing game, and you run multiple plays out of the same 2-2 set.

By the way, get ready for Marrdro to start talking about numbered recievers. the EH systems numbers its recievers instead of using colors or letters like the Walsh system.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Interview With Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrove

Some links on the Erhardt - Perkins system.......

Wiki

Erhardt- Perkins Offensive System!
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098858
    By the way, get ready for Marrdro to start talking some major bukakke.
    Fixed it for you...

:silly:

Caine

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I'm assuming you mean it as some kind of joke, because you misspell his name every time you type it, but you realize it's MusgrAve right? I'm not a grammar nazi, but I feel people should know how to spell our OC's name.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1098885
    I'm assuming you mean it as some kind of joke, because you misspell his name every time you type it, but you realize it's MusgrAve right? I'm not a grammar nazi, but I feel people should know how to spell our OC's name.
    Marty gets by with it because he slobbered all over Childress and Jackson's knobs for 5 years. If Caine or myself would do it we would be labeled as negative. Its just part of the makeup of the board.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

OC Bill Musgrave: Well, our language is based more on the Ron Erhardt system. Of the three different systems that have withstood the test of time in the NFL, you could count Don Coryell's number system, of course Paul Brown and Bill Walsh's West Coast offense system, and Ron Erhardt's system, which has been run for years, with the Pittsburgh Steelers, now with Coach (Ken) Whisenhunt in Arizona, of course it's being run in Atlanta with Mike Mularkey, and portions of it are being implemented in New England, and with the Giants. So our offense will be rooted in that base language.
    DN: What kind of blocking scheme do you plan on using, the zone scheme or more of a hat on hat philosophy?

Musgrave: We'll employ both. We want to be an offense that's difficult to defend, so we don't want to paint ourselves into a corner in any way.

Both the ZB scheme and the traditional "man on man/Hat on Hat". Hmmmmmm, always said our issue is switching between the two when the QB audibles at the line.

For those of you who don't know about the Ron Erhardt system. Its better known as theh Erhardt - Perkins system.

Variant of the WCO in that they Run to set up the pass, RB's aren't always used as recievers, but more in the line of blockers in the passing game, and you run multiple plays out of the same 2-2 set.

By the way, get ready for Marrdro to start talking about numbered recievers. the EH systems numbers its recievers instead of using colors or letters like the Walsh system.
    So now you are going to explain to us how this jives with your posts stating that he is going to run the exact same offense Chilly ran. In the end this is looking to me like the offense that we should have been running for the past 5 years. You might want to sit down and strap yourself to the chair for this one but if he is going to move the offense closer to what Pittsburgh runs( Which I have been calling for since the end of the Tice era) then I would not be opposed to signing Jackson to a role as the backup QB because I really believe if he is going to ever do anything as a QB it will be in a system like that.

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098883
    By the way, get ready for Marrdro to start talking some major bukakke.
    Fixed it for you...

:silly:

Caine
    You crack me up. You did see that they do use multiple WR sets and stretch the field with this scheme (at times).

I know you, along with a few others have been pining for the return of "3 Deep". Although this won't quite remind you of that era, it will get a few more deep balls into the air.

Good point.

I'm not sure I like our new O-Coord. As a means of articulating that I have chosen to call him Musgrove until he shows me that he isn't going to fail here like he has every place else he's been.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098887
    Marty gets by with it because he slobbered all over Childress and Jackson's knobs for 5 years. If Caine or myself would do it we would be labeled as negative. Its just part of the makeup of the board.
    LOL, you crack me up.

The only reason I get by with it is cause I don't mind getting hacked on for being a bit negative at times. Just like I don't mind being hacked on for being overly optimistic at times as well.

Has nothing to do with the board my friend.:P

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098888

So now you are going to explain to us how this jives with your posts stating that he is going to run the exact same offense Chilly ran. In the end this is looking to me like the offense that we should have been running for the past 5 years. You might want to sit down and strap yourself to the chair for this one but if he is going to move the offense closer to what Pittsburgh runs( Which I have been calling for since the end of the Tice era) then I would not be opposed to signing Jackson to a role as the backup QB because I really believe if he is going to ever do anything as a QB it will be in a system like that.
    Naw, you've been listening to our good friend i_bleed_purple to much.

I do find it interesting, however, that they initially said they were going to move away from the ZB scheme and now we are hearing they aren't.

By the way, I agree with you on your point on TJ especially the "system fit". When we drafted him, all the way up until we brought in the Noodle, that is the system I thought we were going to run.

Our good friend EJ once posted a great article comparing the Tice offense to the Chillers (early ran) offense. Wasn't much difference. Kindof looked like the offense that Webb beat the Iggles with.

Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast