Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Interesting Turn of Events

Hey gang! Sorry I haven't been on as much...been a nusy time in Packerland and I've been trying to keep up.

Before the Viking game, I made a very serious post that the loser of the game would have a coach with a job change - if you guys lost that playoff game, I think Tice would have been out. If we lost, I predicted that Sherman would be out as GM.

Well, you won, and Tice got his vote of "confidence", which means you're stuck with him for another year. Depending on your view of Tice, you may regard that as good, but I think he's a terrible coach and the only reason he's staying is because you won your "SUper Bowl" against the Pack.

Now, on the Packer side, the loss sent us into some major reparations. Honestly, had we won, Sherman would have been once again given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to continue both jobs.

However, because we lost:

Ted Thompson, a Ron WOlf clone, has been hired over from Seattle and Sherman is bumped down to Head Coach. Sherman is visibly upset and ready to shake things up. Thompson is a very good drafter and personnel guy recommended by Wolf himself.

Our DLine coach quit and tucked tail to the college ranks.

Our Defensive backfield coach was let go, and he's now with the Rams.

And, most importantly, our Defensive Coordinator was relieved of his duties, and we've brought in Jim Bates from Miami to take over. By most scouting comments I've heard already, most scouts have already said our defense is significantly improved over last year by just hiring him.

Bob Slowik, the old DC, may move back to defnesive backs coach.

My point: I haven't seen Packer fans quite this excited and jumpy for all the offseason moves. There are probably going to be more slashes, including our Offensive Coordinator, who proved he can't call plays. And, our coach is going to be more hands-on, instead of on the phone all the time.

In what was kind of a funny game between two teams that really didn't have a chance against Atlanta or Philly, I feel a lot better now than oafter last year's Philly game...the loss has shaken things up, hopefully for the better.

You guys are mired in this "Trade Moss" talk. I feel for you, because I know that's got to be weighing heavily on everyone. As a biased Packer fan, I would be tempted to say that keeping your status quo intact, as you finished the last two seasons 3-6, may not be a good thing.

So, what was more important in that playoff game...the win? or the loss?

Should be an interesting rest of the offseason.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

I posted a thread saying that the Packers made a great move with hiring Bates, and I said that you guys would have a stud defense very soon. Not sure where my thread went though. I agree with you, and I am really pissed at Red because he is single handedly slowing down our progress for next season by not selling the team and trying to gut it simultaneously.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

eastcoastvikes is offline Starter

I'm sorry, as a fan I would say that no matter what a playoff win is ALWAYS better than a loss. I know in retrospect that may not always play out to be true but in all honesty once you are 3 wins from the Super Bowl a win is always better than a loss, no matter what the reprecussions for offseason moves.

Sig courtesy of josdin00

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Los,

If we get rid of Moss, I think we get rid of Tice too. I think that he was viewed as someone that could keep on the players good side, especially Moss. If Moss is disgruntled and leaves, Tice will be gone too for the chump change of $800,000.

The new owners actually sound like business minded individuals unlike the Car salesman we have now. Leadership, a person to right the ship, is sorely needed. I have no idea who or what they would get that is better(?????), I am no expert on that. All I know is that if I was running a company or a football team, I would not have Tice in charge. Tice would not get the confidence of stock holders and stock would plummet, even the spike up with the one playoff win.

Our Season endings from the last to years might come back and haunt Tice yet if he is not already being haunted by them now that is.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Los,

If we get rid of Moss, I think we get rid of Tice too. I think that he was viewed as someone that could keep on the players good side, especially Moss. If Moss is disgruntled and leaves, Tice will be gone too for the chump change of $800,000.

The new owners actually sound like business minded individuals unlike the Car salesman we have now. Leadership, a person to right the ship, is sorely needed. I have no idea who or what they would get that is better(?????), I am no expert on that. All I know is that if I was running a company or a football team, I would not have Tice in charge. Tice would not get the confidence of stock holders and stock would plummet, even the spike up with the one playoff win.

Our Season endings from the last to years might come back and haunt Tice yet if he is not already being haunted by them now that is.
    I don't like Red either, but to characterize someone who will double his investment is the short time that he owned the team as NOT business-minded is wrong. The problem is that Red is TOO business-minded...I would rather have an owner that is more FOOTBALL-MINDED (i.e., willling to spend money to win it all)...hopefully, the new owners will want to win. Personally, I think that Taylor gives us the best option to win...he has already proven that he is committed to spending money with the T-Wolves)...these new guys may be in it for the money-making potential of developing a sports real estate complex with the desired new stadium as the centerpiece. Time will tell!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Los,

I don't like Red either, but to characterize someone who will double his investment is the short time that he owned the team as NOT business-minded is wrong. The problem is that Red is TOO business-minded...I would rather have an owner that is more FOOTBALL-MINDED (i.e., willling to spend money to win it all)...hopefully, the new owners will want to win. Personally, I think that Taylor gives us the best option to win...he has already proven that he is committed to spending money with the T-Wolves)...these new guys may be in it for the money-making potential of developing a sports real estate complex with the desired new stadium as the centerpiece. Time will tell!
    That is true, TOO Ruthless. I guess I was saying that he didn't have the business etiquette to please the others involved in this, he just wanted to make his money. He is definitely not fan or player minded.

Also what I was trying to get at is the fact that he made the team more undesireable by cutting expenses and doing the bare minimum to keep the team running rather than making the team more attractive. That is the Used Car Salesman business mind.

He almost broke the car then you have nothing to sell.

Unfortunately he can get away with this, one he is the owner and two there is a going market value for a team. I hope any bids on the team are low ball bids.

From our view point, the fans, he doesn't deserve to make a Penny on this team. About the only positive things he did was sign DC and Moss. But if Moss wants out, I also blame Red for that too. That is where Red lost his vote of confidence.

Can anyone lighten or brighten my opinion of Red??? Has he done more for this team than I have given him credit for???

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Also what I was trying to get at is the fact that he made the team more undesireable by cutting expenses and doing the bare minimum to keep the team running rather than making the team more attractive. That is the Used Car Salesman business mind.

He almost broke the car then you have nothing to sell.

Unfortunately he can get away with this, one he is the owner and two there is a going market value for a team. I hope any bids on the team are low ball bids.

From our view point, the fans, he doesn't deserve to make a Penny on this team. About the only positive things he did was sign DC and Moss. But if Moss wants out, I also blame Red for that too. That is where Red lost his vote of confidence.

Can anyone lighten or brighten my opinion of Red??? Has he done more for this team than I have given him credit for???
    No, Red has tanked the Vikes for years.

In fact, I truly blame him for the majority of our current woes.

Do you think that Randy would half-a$$ on the field if we fielded a team with a Defense? A team taht could win every Sunday against ANY team? I don't.

I think that had Red *goat roper* McCombs bothered to field a quality product, Randy would be fired up and playing his butt off. But, seeing no hope in McCombs (lick spittle) ever putting anything remotely resembling a true effort in the Vikes, Randy has become frustrated...and I can't say that I blame him

Barry Sanders had the same thing happen to him in Detroit.

McCombs (Cornhole Crammer) needs to sell, and we need an owner who wants to WIN.

Caine

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Ya know, I really, really wondered about all the absolute hate on the boards about Red...I hijacked a thread, and then made one of my own. I actually, was kinda biased towards Red but openminded. Now I do understand for the most part why people up there hate him. Did ...was it San Antonio, breathe a sigh of relief when he let his grubby mitts off that team too? Thinking about this, I really wouldn't cast my vote to build a stadium for that dork. Bide your time and get one built, for someone who gives a crap. And Los, I am gonna mourn the loss of being traded up on for punters, and pulling second rounders up to first, outta the Packers. I bet your new DC ROCKS with in two years, and I DON'T like it. Same with your GM. But Tice IMO, rules. You may keep Sherman. All that will come out in the wash though. They all started somewhere, and genius, well except for Gruden, *cough* doesn't just happen. They getta learn.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I say keep Moss, keep Tice, keep Cotrell.

It's good that Red's selling the team, remember the season the Vike's had the last time ownership changes(15-1 in 1998). Hopefully we'll get similar results. I'm not sure how I feel about our new Offensive Coordinator, he did a great job with our O-line, but will that translate. As long as he's not too conservative, which I fearl, I think he'll be alright and keep us in the top 5. I think we should promote Walsh to special teams coach, although this may have already been done, and I'm just not up to date.

The problem with our D is not coaching, it's personnel. Mainly at LB. We've got a solid line, and when Winfield, Chavous, Williams, and Russell are all healthy, I think they're a good secondary. Not outstanding, but good enough to excel with a solid front DL and LB core. None of our LB's are good blitzers or good in coverage. I thought Thomas and Henderson were going to be special, but I think I was wrong. We need a LB that makes a huge impact from a coverage standpoint and can neutralize the TE, but is still good at blitzing and stopping the run. Someone like Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Teddy Bruschi. I'm know that isn't easy to find, but if we had someone like that on our D, it would make a huge difference.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast