Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Interesting Take On The Vikes From The Steeler Website

I know BJ had the worst year of his career last year but has any of the BJohnson haters ever stopped to think (or read the many posts and articles out there) that there may have been reasons for that.
    Let's take pre-snap penalties for instance.
    Let's take dropped passes for instance.
    Let's take poor protection for instance.

I am hoping TJack does a lot better than BJ did but like BJ a lot of that depends on his teammates.
    BJ did pretty well until everyone was dropping passes and causing false starts.
    Please, I am asking my PPO friends to get off BJs back and look at some of the reasons for his bad play.
    Stop blaming him for everything.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:
    10-4 likely puts us in the playoffs.
    10 wins, 4 losses
    ???

Where I'm from, 10+4=14
    :P
    LOL good call.
    I remember back in the old days when there were 14 games.

;D Joking of course, I am suprised so many of my posts at work turn out as well as they do.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"ejmat" wrote:
    I know BJ had the worst year of his career last year but has any of the BJohnson haters ever stopped to think (or read the many posts and articles out there) that there may have been reasons for that.

I am hoping TJack does a lot better than BJ did but like BJ a lot of that depends on his teammates.
    Please, I am asking my PPO friends to get off BJs back and look at some of the reasons for his bad play.
    I don't think most fans think it was all down to BJ last year, all the problems you have stated were also responsible. Saying that though I think it was time to start with TJack and begin the rebuilding process, Brad can't keep playing for ever at the same level he was. Hopefully this year if the running game kicks into life, the question marks about the QB and WR core will not be so much of an issue anyway.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I think we would be lucky if Tjack puts up similar numbers to Johnsons. He has no one to throw too and he is very inexperienced.
    Johnson put up some of the worst numbers possible for a starting QB, most rookie QBs last year outplayed him, I don't think it is difficult for a 2nd year player as talented as Tarvaris to do the same.
    And when they took Johnson out, they certainly got a big boost in productivity from Bollinger and Jackson.

Face it, if the line plays like it did last year TJ or whoever they throw in there is a dead duck. If the line comes together,especially on the right side and gives the qb time to go through the progressions we have a good chance at improving.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    I think we would be lucky if Tjack puts up similar numbers to Johnsons. He has no one to throw too and he is very inexperienced.
    Johnson put up some of the worst numbers possible for a starting QB, most rookie QBs last year outplayed him, I don't think it is difficult for a 2nd year player as talented as Tarvaris to do the same.
    And when they took Johnson out, they certainly got a big boost in productivity from Bollinger and Jackson.

Face it, if the line plays like it did last year TJ or whoever they throw in there is a dead duck. If the line comes together,especially on the right side and gives the qb time to go through the progressions we have a good chance at improving.
    They didn't, but saying that Brad did as well as the 4th string Jets QB and a Div-IAA rookie isn't saying much...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ejmat" wrote:

I read on a website that I can't give the link to cause I pay for it the following interesting stats

A informal study tracks the development of Brett Favre, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Charlie Frye and Alex Smith.

As rookies those 10 players averaged the following stats:
    5 games played/3 starts, 89 pass attempts, 45 completions (50.6%), 488 yards, 2 touchdowns, 4 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 42.9.

Vikings’ quarterback Tarvaris Jackson’s rookie stats included:
    4 games played/2 starts, 81 pass attempts, 47 completions (58.0%), 475 yards, 2 touchdowns, 4 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 62.5.

The amount of experience and the degree of success is remarkably similar.

In their second season, as a full-time starter, here’s what those same 10 quarterbacks averaged:
    15 games played/15 starts, 470 pass attempts, 281 completions (59.4%), 3,160 yards, 19 touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a quarterback passer rating of 80.6.

Those numbers certainly aren’t out of the realm of possibility for Jackson in 2007.
    Improved offensive line play, in infusion of talent and wide receiver,
    Its also been well documented that TJ had roughly the same stats that Young had when comparing thier first 4 games.

Why is it so hard for everyone to see that this kid, although a bit raw, isn't the big reach everyone seems to think he is. :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

I read on a website that I can't give the link to cause I pay for it the following interesting stats

A informal study tracks the development of Brett Favre, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Michael Vick, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Charlie Frye and Alex Smith.

5 games played/3 starts, 89 pass attempts, 45 completions (50.6%), 488 yards, 2 touchdowns, 4 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 42.9.

4 games played/2 starts, 81 pass attempts, 47 completions (58.0%), 475 yards, 2 touchdowns, 4 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 62.5.

In their second season, as a full-time starter, here’s what those same 10 quarterbacks averaged:
    15 games played/15 starts, 470 pass attempts, 281 completions (59.4%), 3,160 yards, 19 touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a quarterback passer rating of 80.6.

Those numbers certainly aren’t out of the realm of possibility for Jackson in 2007.
    Its also been well documented that TJ had roughly the same stats that Young had when comparing thier first 4 games.

Why is it so hard for everyone to see that this kid, although a bit raw, isn't the big reach everyone seems to think he is. :
    Because he IS very raw and in the NFL it is very rare to have success even with the help of coming out of elite schools, so the odds are against him. That is not to say he won't succeed and I hope he becomes the next Madden bride-to-be, But face it, if you were in Vegas, the odds would not be in your favor.

As far as stats, I learned in college stats courses that you can pretty much pull stats out of your ass to say anything you want to prove if you select them carefully and disregard the ones that do not support your point. Take them with a grain of salt. ;D

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

I think it has a lot to do with the statistical analysis showing a strong correlation between number of college starts, passing percentage in college and NFL success.

http://goldenblogs.blogsome.com/2007/05/25/the-tedford-effect/

That study got alot of attention a couple of months ago.

I disagree with it however. I think number of starts gets you a better look from the scouts.

And it doesn't really take into account the improvement in passing percentage from year to year as a QB matures.

Tarvaris had less starts than some due to his transfer. And his completion percentage was much better his final year than the preceding two.

I think T-Jack will do just fine unless the line can't pass protect.

If you believe in the Tedford effect or whatever it's called, Jamarcus Russell also has little chance to make it in the NFL!

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I dont think you can compare Tarvaris Jackson and the starts he got in 1AA vs. Peyton Manning or Donovan McNabb.

Everyone knew that TJack was kind of a project player, so this is kind of a pointless study for a guy like him.

But when comparing Leaf and Manning it's excellent, to me college is like an experiment. You test the guys, and determine if they'll work in the pros or not. The longer, more detailed experiment will yield more accurate results.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

We call it "massaging" the data... how about you?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast